Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bsu_alum9

Is it too early...

To talk about preseason championships?

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2019/2/11/18219163/2019-college-football-rankings-projections

S&P 2019 projections from Bill Connelly.

24 Boise State MWC 53 24 30 12.6
42 Utah State MWC 97 30 79 7.6
51 Fresno State MWC 93 36 98 5.5
54 San Diego State MWC 86 46 47 4.9
83 Nevada MWC 92 80 110 -1.9
90 Air Force MWC 111 87 84 -3.5
92 Wyoming MWC 104 89 100 -4.7
94 Hawaii MWC 102 90 125 -5.5
100 UNLV MWC 107 98 122 -7.5
109 Colorado State MWC 79 113 62 -12.8
115 New Mexico MWC 121 115 104 -15.3
117 San Jose State MWC 109 117 116 -16.2

4 minutes ago, Cincy said:

Boise still getting respect for previous seasons considering they’ll be breaking in a new QB. 

Pretty much. That and possible our recruiting class. But we haven't exactly been living up to preseason billing the last few years, so who knows. Should be another good race for the MWC title.

Not sure how Boise is #24 in returning production, but must be mostly all on defense after losing Mattison, Rypien, Richardson, and Modster.  Or maybe they didn't catch Mattison leaving early for the draft.

#53 in Recruiting Impact and #30 in "Weighted 5-Year" seem about right.

Fresno's weighted 5-Year holding them back in these rankings.

The returning production figure shown is not where each team ranks in actual returning production for 2019 but rather a reflection of where the teams would rank when their projected departures are applied to last year's S&P+ rating. According the link provided for this category, BSU is actually ranked 88 out of 130 teams with 59% total returning production.

Overall, this is a pretty interesting way of looking at projections. While I agree it is a good idea to remove last year's results from the "weighted 5-year" calculation since that is already reflected in the returning production number, I also find it odd to incorporate seasons from 5 years ago to possibly find anything out about a team's position for next year. There are just so many transfers, coaching changes, and differences in schedule strengths that results from that long ago seem useless. It is good that he applies a diminishing return on season that are further in the past but teams like Fresno St. have shown how quickly things can change from season to season. 

1 hour ago, Cincy said:

Boise still getting respect for previous seasons considering they’ll be breaking in a new QB. 

Seems about right. 

Every QB who has played in Boise for the last two decades has been in the top-25... I'd say it's a pretty safe bet. 

Book it.

Mike Bronson, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:45 PM, said:

Don't be mad because the refs are going to need Tommy John surgeries after this poorly played game.

mugtang, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:49 PM, said:

Your mom is going to need Tommy John surgery after jerking me off all night.

Cartoon-21-Final.jpg

1 hour ago, TrueAg said:

The returning production figure shown is not where each team ranks in actual returning production for 2019 but rather a reflection of where the teams would rank when their projected departures are applied to last year's S&P+ rating. According the link provided for this category, BSU is actually ranked 88 out of 130 teams with 59% total returning production.

Overall, this is a pretty interesting way of looking at projections. While I agree it is a good idea to remove last year's results from the "weighted 5-year" calculation since that is already reflected in the returning production number, I also find it odd to incorporate seasons from 5 years ago to possibly find anything out about a team's position for next year. There are just so many transfers, coaching changes, and differences in schedule strengths that results from that long ago seem useless. It is good that he applies a diminishing return on season that are further in the past but teams like Fresno St. have shown how quickly things can change from season to season. 

Boise's biggest issue last year was massive injury problems. Their best WR only played a few snaps, they were without a two time 1st Teamer on the DL, on two different occasions they lost their leading tackler for the season. They only had two positions on defense that didn't have to play a back up as the starter for part/all of the season. 

6 hours ago, kingpotato said:

Boise's biggest issue last year was massive injury problems. Their best WR only played a few snaps, they were without a two time 1st Teamer on the DL, on two different occasions they lost their leading tackler for the season. They only had two positions on defense that didn't have to play a back up as the starter for part/all of the season. 

CliffsNotes version:

Even with the great recruiting, the depth on the bench wasn’t good enough and only so many 1st teamers can play while concussed.

Don't be mad because the refs are going to need Tommy John surgeries after this poorly played game.

Cartoon-21-Final.jpg

4 hours ago, kingpotato said:

giphy-34.gif

Translation: You’re right, D4M.

Cartoon-21-Final.jpg

1 hour ago, SparkysDad said:

FIFY

Nah, total offense and rushing offense both were up significantly from the year prior. Despite returning 10 starters on defense, almost all of the numbers defensively were way worse. The injuries took their toll and most of them were on that side of the ball. 

1 hour ago, kingpotato said:

giphy-34.gif

Donk FB last year...

Cartoon-21-Final.jpg