Sign in to follow this  
jdgaucho

Huge surge in foreign students helps UCSD diversify, pay its bills

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/education/sd-me-ucsd-foreignstudents-20190207-story.html

In the past decade, the number of international students has soared by almost 7,200 and now accounts for almost 25 percent of the school’s enrollment. The figure was 6 percent in 2008.  Reeling from reduced state funding, UC San Diego decided to heavily recruit international students, primarily because they pay at least twice as much as California residents in tuition and fees.

School officials estimate that this fall, for the first time, the campus will collect more money from undergraduates who come from outside California than from the Golden State. The projected bounty: $275 million.  Much of the revenue comes from the United States’ chief economic and political rival — China. It sent the campus roughly 5,300 students last fall, close to the same number that was drawn from greater San Diego.  The majority of the students study engineering, science or mathematics, contributing to UC San Diego’s rise as a mecca for STEM programs

Insert joke about what SAN'S! student body really cares about.  Y'all knocking their foreign students. They are probably responsible for some serious coin over there.  Certainly is the case for UCSD.  If just a fraction of this money is put towards athletics, look out.

So @#1Stunner, there's gotta be a few legit ballers in China. 

I guess that makes sense financially for UC schools, but it also limits in state students (whose parents pay state taxes) access to a UC education. If these foreign students enter our job market, great. But, if most return to their home countries not so good. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

I guess that makes sense financially for UC schools, but it also limits in state students access to a UC education. If these foreign students enter our job market, great. But, if most return to their home countries not so good. 

From what I've seen at Wyoming the international students pay full price, so they subsidize everyone else, they sometimes make up programs with declining enrollment so they help universities stay truly universal, and they tend to go back to their country only when they can't find a job here. If campus crowding is a bigger issue than funding I see your point, there's probably a balance though. 

6 minutes ago, happycamper said:

From what I've seen at Wyoming the international students pay full price, so they subsidize everyone else, they sometimes make up programs with declining enrollment so they help universities stay truly universal, and they tend to go back to their country only when they can't find a job here. If campus crowding is a bigger issue than funding I see your point, there's probably a balance though. 

It may not be an issue in Wyoming, but it definitely is in California where the UC schools and some Cal State schools turn away thousands of well qualified in state applicants. 

• Like 1

A quarter of a state institution are out of state or foreigners.  It seems like the intent of a state school is getting muddied.  

Meanwhile, Cal States are mandated to enroll based on boundaries in it's own state.  Gotta love the hypocrisy.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jdgaucho said:

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/education/sd-me-ucsd-foreignstudents-20190207-story.html

In the past decade, the number of international students has soared by almost 7,200 and now accounts for almost 25 percent of the school’s enrollment. The figure was 6 percent in 2008.  Reeling from reduced state funding, UC San Diego decided to heavily recruit international students, primarily because they pay at least twice as much as California residents in tuition and fees.

School officials estimate that this fall, for the first time, the campus will collect more money from undergraduates who come from outside California than from the Golden State. The projected bounty: $275 million.  Much of the revenue comes from the United States’ chief economic and political rival — China. It sent the campus roughly 5,300 students last fall, close to the same number that was drawn from greater San Diego.  The majority of the students study engineering, science or mathematics, contributing to UC San Diego’s rise as a mecca for STEM programs

Insert joke about what SAN'S! student body really cares about.  Y'all knocking their foreign students. They are probably responsible for some serious coin over there.  Certainly is the case for UCSD.  If just a fraction of this money is put towards athletics, look out.

As stated, these foreign Chinese students attend schools that engage in research / STEM, and then steal the technology, and bring it back to China.

A billionaire known as 'China's Elon Musk' is suspected of spying while he was a Duke student and stealing a professor's invisibility technology

https://www.businessinsider.com/chinese-billionaire-is-accused-of-stealing-research-from-a-duke-lab-2018-7

10 hours ago, jdgaucho said:

To answer your athletics question, I've long stated that SJSU needs to be heavily recruiting Asia for basketball talent.   SJSU already heavily recruits foreign nationals from China and Korea, so it only makes sense that they should be recruiting athletes.

To date, they have refused to recruit China or Korea, and we all see the results.

This guy that BYU signed would have probably gone to SJSU if he had been offered.

https://www.vanquishthefoe.com/byu-basketball/2018/10/17/17992470/byu-basketball-recruiting-2019-china-shengzhe-li-commits-interview

15 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

A quarter of a state institution are out of state or foreigners.  It seems like the intent of a state school is getting muddied.  

Meanwhile, Cal States are mandated to enroll based on boundaries in it's own state.  Gotta love the hypocrisy.

We could afford them when 1 in 10 kids attended them. Now that what, 1 in 3? 1 in 2.5? kids do, we can't, and we aren't willing to go the Euro route and tell essentially 2/3 the posters on this board "your personal likelihood of graduating according to our in house actuaries is only 78% so you have no admittance to any state college and no recourse. Enjoy your technical education". The out of staters and foreigners are ways to increase funding without increasing taxes. 

30 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Yah, but the good schools are all impacted. Which means even if a kid qualifies for the miniimum standards, it's a numbers game.  So soupslam1 is correct that CA kids are losing their slots to foreign and out of state kids because it is in the universities best interests, regardless of the interest of CA residents and taxpayers. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

Yah, but the good schools are all impacted. Which means even if a kid qualifies for the miniimum standards, it's a numbers game.  So soupslam1 is correct that CA kids are losing their slots to foreign and out of state kids because it is in the universities best interests, regardless of the interest of CA residents and taxpayers. 

Correct. This was a double hit to prospective UC students, who were seeing crazy tuition increases and also seeing a stated preference for out-of-state and foreign students because they bring more money with them. 

Janet Napolitono rules. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, happycamper said:

We could afford them when 1 in 10 kids attended them. Now that what, 1 in 3? 1 in 2.5? kids do, we can't, and we aren't willing to go the Euro route and tell essentially 2/3 the posters on this board "your personal likelihood of graduating according to our in house actuaries is only 78% so you have no admittance to any state college and no recourse. Enjoy your technical education". The out of staters and foreigners are ways to increase funding without increasing taxes. 

Fine and dandy.  But why restrict Cal States to areas of a state the school is near, but have a UC swell its enrollment stock full of out-of-state and foreigners?  That is the hypocrisy I speak of.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Fine and dandy.  But why restrict Cal States to areas of a state the school is near, but have a UC swell its enrollment stock full of out-of-state and foreigners?  That is the hypocrisy I speak of.

I'm guessing as an attempt to a) restrict costs for the students, thus driving down debt (and mandated aid...) and b) to increase academic rankings and full tuition payers. I see it as less deliberately hypocritical and more two reactionary moves that happen to work in concert against the students in California. 

16 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

It may not be an issue in Wyoming, but it definitely is in California where the UC schools and some Cal State schools turn away thousands of well qualified in state applicants. 

The out of staters pay are not subsidized in California either.  I paid through the nose to put my daughter through her undergrad.  I was paying $25k for my daughter.

It looks like it has risen since then.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/03/15/uc-raises-tuition-for-out-of-state-international-students/

On 2/11/2019 at 11:05 AM, East Coast Aztec said:

As an aside, Cal State Fullerton has nearly 2/3 of its basketball roster this year come from outside California.