Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thedude15

And there goes the MW's chance for a 2nd at large bid...

I thought USU had a chance for an at large bid if they ended the regular season winning their last 8 (ie including win vs Nevada) and winning at least one game in the MWT. But the loss @SDSU pretty much eliminates them in my book. Even at 27-7 (going 7-0 the rest of the way in the regular season and losing in the MWT finals) I am guessing they will be left out. If they get to 8 loses their is zero chance they will get an at large bid. 

Oh well we can still get two bids provided Nevada does not win the MWT. 

20 minutes ago, thedude15 said:

I thought USU had a chance for an at large bid if they ended the regular season winning their last 8 (ie including win vs Nevada) and winning at least one game in the MWT. But the loss @SDSU pretty much eliminates them in my book. Even at 27-7 (going 7-0 the rest of the way in the regular season and losing in the MWT finals) I am guessing they will be left out. If they get to 8 loses their is zero chance they will get an at large bid. 

Oh well we can still get two bids provided Nevada does not win the MWT. 

I dont think they would have beaten Nevada. Nevada is playing really well right now

As far as USU nonconference opponents go, Arizona State picked up an important win over Washington yesterday.  They're smack dab on the bubble.

And UC Irvine is just outside the NET top-100 while building up a 2.5 game lead in the BW.  Seeing them in double figures will only boost USU as they crushed the Anteaters in Irvine.

15 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

They still have an NET of 39. They can’t afford any more regular season losses. If they win them all their record would be 25-6 and their NET would be in the twenties. That would get them in. 

Given it's the first year the selection committee will be relying on the new NET metric, nobody really knows to what degree they will when selection time rolls around. :shrug:

I can think of (more than) a couple instances when MWC teams that should have received an at-large based on RPIs in the low 30s but were snubbed, when for better-or-worse the RPI was the SC's guiding metric.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

21 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Given it's the first year the selection committee will be relying on the new NET metric, nobody really knows to what degree they will when selection time rolls around. :shrug:

I can think of (more than) a couple instances when MWC teams that should have received an at-large based on RPIs in the low 30s but were snubbed, when for better-or-worse the RPI was the SC's guiding metric.

More than a couple? #30 Air Force in 2007 and maybe one more?

edit #29 CSU in 2015

12 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

most of those were after that disastrous year where the MWC got 5 teams in off the back of a high RPI ranking and faceplanted horribly.

The Baggies are on the absolute razor's edge of an at-large bid...It will be very, very close.  If they finish the year 27-8 i think they get in, they just absolutely cannot afford a non-nevada loss.

oh god i just realized if USU and Fresno both close at 14-4 in conference play the seeding goes to record against highest seeded common opponent, and that will be SDSU unless the Aztecs crash and burn down the stretch...and in this hypothetical Fresno gets the 2 seed from sweeping the Aztecs.

Pac-12 may only get one or two teams into the tournament this year, with the talk revolving around Arizona St and Washington. Right now some have Arizona St as one of the last four teams in. If someone other than those two win the Pac-12 tournament than Washington or ASU is going to get bumped. 

Some still have USU on the bubble to get in however their margin is a bit thin now. 

21 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

They still have an NET of 39. They can’t afford any more regular season losses. If they win them all their record would be 25-6 and their NET would be in the twenties. That would get them in. 

Yup. It's like we are suddenly realizing what we already knew.

The rest of USUs schedule is very favorable. They should win all other than Nevada. IMO that game will determine if they get selected as an at large. I like their chances in Logan. They played Nevada pretty tough in Reno. The Logan atmosphere will be bonkers. 

5 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

The rest of USUs schedule is very favorable. They should win all other than Nevada. IMO that game will determine if they get selected as an at large. I like their chances in Logan. They played Nevada pretty tough in Reno. The Logan atmosphere will be bonkers. 

Eh, we smoked them pretty good at Lawlor lol. But yeah in Logan is obviously a way different story though, for sure. They'll be ready and that place will be rocking.

Nevada definitely needs that win too I think. No Q1 wins right now sucks enough as it is, losing our only Q1 game would look pretty bad. :P

8k3esKz.png