Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GoState99755

VA Lt Gov Fairfax building his resume for SCOTUS

It leaves a bad taste in my mouth to align with the sweater wearing Ned @thelawlorfaithful Saunders but I completely agree with him that Fairfax deserves due process. He has vehemently denied the sexual assault and rape allegations and should have the opportunity to defend both his reputation and job. Forcing a public official to resign based on an unsubstantiated allegation is a reckless standard as it's very easy (and tempting I might add) to accuse someone of a heinous act, especially in a he said she said situation. We are supposed to be a country that makes decisions based on evidence, fact, and law rather than emotionally-driven ideological fervor. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

25 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

It leaves a bad taste in my mouth to align with the sweater wearing Ned @thelawlorfaithful Saunders but I completely agree with him that Fairfax deserves due process. He has vehemently denied the sexual assault and rape allegations and should have the opportunity to defend both his reputation and job. Forcing a public official to resign based on an unsubstantiated allegation is a reckless standard as it's very easy (and tempting I might add) to accuse someone of a heinous act, especially in a he said she said situation. We are supposed to be a country that makes decisions based on evidence, fact, and law rather than emotionally-driven ideological fervor. 

Due process has to happen.  The way our politicians and our press are convicting people in the court of public opinion and the front page of our papers absolutely sucks.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

Just now, pokebball said:

Due process has to happen.  The way our politicians and our press are convicting people in the court of public opinion and the front page of our papers absolutely sucks.

Don't forget social media. 

13 hours ago, jackmormon said:

That’s probably a pretty good line. What do put the over under at for board conservatives to find the accusations credible, when they proclaimed innocent until proven guilty approach with Kavanaugh?

This right here is you being hypocritical, right?

Just now, pokebball said:

This right here is you being hypocritical, right?

No, it's just jack doing his job. Cut the man some slack.

8 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

The second one with a contemporary corroborating witness is especially not good. But if he didn’t do it, if it didn’t happen as they say, he shouldn’t resign. No matter how it “looks.”

If I were innocent, the only reason I'd consider resigning is to save my wife and family the excruciating pain and embarrassment that is sure to continue.

11 minutes ago, pokebball said:

If I were innocent, the only reason I'd consider resigning is to save my wife and family the excruciating pain and embarrassment that is sure to continue.

That's a decent perspective. Honestly not sure what I would do in that situation if I were innocent. On one hand, saving your family from that type of scrutiny is understandable. But on the other hand, there's the lack of justice factor with validation of a false accusation. It's a tough call to be sure. 

10 hours ago, bluerules009 said:

I thought all allegations by women were to be believed no matter how far fetched or without support?  Why do we need an investigation?  Why are you changing your tune now?  :lol:

I didn’t change my tune. I said the women’s charges seem credible. Learn how to read.

2 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

That's a decent perspective. Honestly not sure what I would do in that situation if I were innocent. On one hand, saving your family from that type of scrutiny is understandable. But on the other hand, there's the lack of justice factor with validation of a false accusation. It's a tough call to be sure. 

His political career will be essentially over. Him continuing to stay in office will be a major distraction that will dog him until the next election scandal. Even if completely innocent.

2 minutes ago, jackmormon said:

His political career will be essentially over. Him continuing to stay in office will be a major distraction that will dog him until the next election scandal. Even if completely innocent.

And that’s the sad reality of present day politics. 

3 hours ago, jackmormon said:

I didn’t change my tune. I said the women’s charges seem credible. Learn how to read.

You said we now need an investigation.  A couple months ago you were condemning Kavanagh before during and after the investigation found nothing.  We were all supposed to just believe her.

I know how to read moron, it is exactly there in your post.

23 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

You said we now need an investigation.  A couple months ago you were condemning Kavanagh before during and after the investigation found nothing.  We were all supposed to just believe her.

I know how to read moron, it is exactly there in your post.

You obviously don’t. I said the FBI should do a thorough investigation of Kavanaugh before the vote.

As I've thought about this in the last few days, I keep coming back to "what is blackface", how should we define it today?

@youngrebelfan40 we need you to weigh in here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackface#Modern-day_manifestations

Blackface is a form of theatrical make-up used predominantly by non-black performers to represent a caricature of a black person. The practice gained popularity during the 19th century and contributed to the spread of racial stereotypes such as the "happy-go-lucky darky on the plantation" or the "dandified coon". By the middle of the century, blackface minstrel shows had become a distinctive American artform, translating formal works such as opera into popular terms for a general audience.

Image result for blackface

This is what it was historically. It was made popular mostly during the late 1800's into early 1900's.

I don't think any of us would disagree that it was a very racist artform; it played entirely on racial stereotypes and made fun of blacks.

Now, let's look at what these two guys in Virginia have admitted to: dressing with painted faces as Michael Jackson and some popular rapper.

Are these really examples of blackface? Was the objective to mock or make fun of the subjects because of their race? I think it's more likely that these were two performers who were liked and respected.

Okay guys, set me straight.

10 minutes ago, renoskier said:

As I've thought about this in the last few days, I keep coming back to "what is blackface", how should we define it today?

Blackface is a form of theatrical make-up used predominantly by non-black performers to represent a caricature of a black person. The practice gained popularity during the 19th century and contributed to the spread of racial stereotypes such as the "happy-go-lucky darky on the plantation" or the "dandified coon". By the middle of the century, blackface minstrel shows had become a distinctive American artform, translating formal works such as opera into popular terms for a general audience.

This is what it was historically. It was made popular mostly during the late 1800's into early 1900's.

I don't think any of us would disagree that it was a very racist artform; it played entirely on racial stereotypes and made fun of blacks.

Now, let's look at what these two guys in Virginia have admitted to: dressing with painted faces as Michael Jackson and some popular rapper.

Are these really examples of blackface? Was the objective to mock or make fun of the subjects because of their race? I think it's more likely that these were two performers who were liked and respected.

They are democrats so you stated their excuses perfectly.  They will have a long career.

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

Is it blackface the "art form"? No. But it does mimic blackface and thus almost universally inspires memories of racist mockery in the black community: racist mockery that contributed to the stereotyping of black people as stupid and helped to validate racist systems. Because of this, it is a highly offensive way to "dress" as a black person, even if the intention is not to mock. 

Not a perfect example by any means, but think how a survivor of 9/11 would feel if they saw Saudi nationals dressing up as a wounded, white victim of a plane crash. 

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

21 minutes ago, youngrebelfan40 said:

Is it blackface the "art form"? No. But it does mimic blackface and thus almost universally inspires memories of racist mockery in the black community: racist mockery that contributed to the stereotyping of black people as stupid and helped to validate racist systems. Because of this, it is a highly offensive way to "dress" as a black person, even if the intention is not to mock. 

Not a perfect example by any means, but think how a survivor of 9/11 would feel if they saw Saudi nationals dressing up as a wounded, white victim of a plane crash. 

How about someone wearing a Michael Jackson costume at Halloween? Is it okay if they don't paint their face or wear a mask?