Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

Fresno State at UNLV

UNLV has had far more talent in the past 3 years than their record would show. Definitely more talent than a team that is regularly BLOWN-OUT in conference play. While there is a defincency in talent on this team it is in the guys that wear long pants on game day. 

14 minutes ago, quickdraw said:

Shroyer was the death knell for Dave. If he was never here it could have looked completely different. Losing Hutson because of that pompous bully was the final nail in the coffin of the Rice era. Dave brought it on himself which is just another reason that he is incapable of being a HC at any significant level.

I wasn’t a fan of Schroyer.  Plus he’s a vagabond.

10 hours ago, TheTedfordTrain said:

Your point being? You won’t see Fresno fans consistently crying and pretending that we should be contending for a national title with a more than half empty arena. 7 straight isn’t an anomaly. It’s the new norm. Learn to accept reality. 

Yeah, PH is the only one here who thinks UNLV should win a National Title. Everyone else just wants to get back to where we were a decade ago with consistently making the tournament. And if you can't understand that being a mediocre program like UNLV right now and Fresno shouldn't be something that you strive for then you need to take a deep look in the mirror and ask yourself why you're such a +++++ing loser. 

2 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

I still have a big problem with Rice not turning the defense over to Hutson when he was an assistant here, and giving it to Shroyer instead. Why bring Hut in if you're not going to use his strengths? And Shroyer?? Idiotic. 

One other recruiting fiasco often forgotten. Hutson had pg Tyronne Wallace locked up and ready to commit to UNLV. Instead, Rice brings in Shroyer recruit Daquan Cook! Wallace becomes a 4 year starter and 1st team all Pac12. Cook never plays. 

1 hour ago, Jersey Rebels said:

Yeah, PH is the only one here who thinks UNLV should win a National Title. Everyone else just wants to get back to where we were a decade ago with consistently making the tournament. And if you can't understand that being a mediocre program like UNLV right now and Fresno shouldn't be something that you strive for then you need to take a deep look in the mirror and ask yourself why you're such a +++++ing loser. 

It’s a process.  We make the tournament, then we go further, etc.  I think we can get back to a national championship level.  The number one ingredient to do that is talent.  We can get elite talent.  We had the #1 pick in the NBA Draft six years ago.

5 hours ago, No_dogs_down said:

Menzies not the answer.  You guys have too much talent to lose by 18. 

What talent? Our guys are all low tier 3-star players. Not like it matters, our coaching has been so horrible the last 7+ years even when we had 5-star Mcdonald All-Americans we sucked. 

Is Fresno still so small-time you guys get super excited to beat us? LOL. Congratz for chipping away at the 15-30 series record you have against us. It'll take another 6-7 years of sweeping us to even it out. :lol: Plenty of UNLV fans, including myself (pic related) totally anticipated losing this game by a large margin. It's not like we care,  we're literally just running out the clock on this season so we can fire Menzies and bring in someone new to get this sh*t show of a program back on track. 

image.thumb.png.8af7fb8ee7b528be3b55a2f53a169851.png

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

29 minutes ago, Rebels18 said:

What talent? Our guys are all low tier 3-star players. Not like it matters, our coaching has been so horrible the last 7+ years even when we had 5-star Mcdonald All-Americans we sucked. 

Is Fresno still so small-time you guys get super excited to beat us? LOL. Congratz for chipping away at the 15-30 series record you have against us. It'll take another 6-7 years of sweeping us to even it out. :lol: Plenty of UNLV fans, including myself (pic related) totally anticipated losing this game by a large margin. It's not like we care,  we're literally just running out the clock on this season so we can fire Menzies and bring in someone new to get this sh*t show of a program back on track. 

image.thumb.png.8af7fb8ee7b528be3b55a2f53a169851.png

Amauri Hardy and Joel Ntambwe are legit players.

2 hours ago, quickdraw said:

Shroyer was the death knell for Dave. If he was never here it could have looked completely different. Losing Hutson because of that pompous bully was the final nail in the coffin of the Rice era. Dave brought it on himself which is just another reason that he is incapable of being a HC at any significant level.

That image of Rice holding the clipboard for Schroyer as he drew up a play during a timeout sticks in my head.  Not an Alpha by any means.

42 minutes ago, RebelTexan said:

That image of Rice holding the clipboard for Schroyer as he drew up a play during a timeout sticks in my head.  Not an Alpha by any means.

The indelible image of the Rice error had to be the remaining minutes of his last game at Wyoming.  It was either the last timeout or second to last timeout and he stood there for what seemed like an eternity with this deer in the headlights appearance waiting for anyone to say something.  Finally I believe Ryan Miller intervened and drew up a play.

49 minutes ago, RebelTexan said:

7 minutes ago, Ernie Baer said:

The indelible image of the Rice error had to be the remaining minutes of his last game at Wyoming.  It was either the last timeout or second to last timeout and he stood there for what seemed like an eternity with this deer in the headlights appearance waiting for anyone to say something.  Finally I believe Ryan Miller intervened and drew up a play.

Rice just needed 5 more years.  It's a process!!

-ph

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

7 minutes ago, VincentVegaBond said:

Rice just needed 5 more years.  It's a process!!

-ph

I was ready to see Dave Rice go at the end.  There was zero roster stability.  Every few years was a reset.  He promised things to get people to come here, and they were discontent when things didn’t go their way.

I wasn’t satisfied with losing Saturday.  I thought it was a game we could win.  However, it is a process, and I look at things from a long-term perspective.  Rick Pitino isn’t going to come and get us to the tournament next year.  Also, he would be here five years at most.

The best player on the court was a Marvin Menzies recruit. Braxton Huggins. 31 points on 16 shots. That is lights out!

Hamilton, Ntambwe, Woodbury, Diong, Hardy and JTT are all talented, but they are too young and not developed yet. Hardy and Diong barely played last year.

Blair and Noah are not super talented, but they are heady players. Blair, Noah and Clyburn do not match up with elite or anything close to it.

Adding a sr Huggins to a core of guys who have played together for 3 seasons is seamless. Of course they crush UNLV. 

Of course its not good enough, I just dont get anyone being surprised by these results.

21 minutes ago, qwelish said:

The best player on the court was a Marvin Menzies recruit. Braxton Huggins. 31 points on 16 shots. That is lights out!

Hamilton, Ntambwe, Woodbury, Diong, Hardy and JTT are all talented, but they are too young and not developed yet. Hardy and Diong barely played last year.

Blair and Noah are not super talented, but they are heady players. Blair, Noah and Clyburn do not match up with elite or anything close to it.

Adding a sr Huggins to a core of guys who have played together for 3 seasons is seamless. Of course they crush UNLV. 

Of course its not good enough, I just dont get anyone being surprised by these results.

I don’t think there is much talent on a team that finishes below or at .500 in the MW.  The next guy will have to clean house and get some kids that can play.  

If Menzies is going to be fired, or if there will be any thought to firing him, this next stretch of games will probably seal the deal.

I think the Rebels go 2-5 in the final 7 games, maybe 3-4. That means a regular season record of 14-16 or 15-15.

Totally unacceptable.

3 minutes ago, qwelish said:

If Menzies is going to be fired, or if there will be any thought to firing him, this next stretch of games will probably seal the deal.

I think the Rebels go 2-5 in the final 7 games, maybe 3-4. That means a regular season record of 14-16 or 15-15.

Totally unacceptable.

I don’t know.  If MM can find a way to be .500 in MW play then I feel like he has done a heck of a job with the talent he has.  It would be his first time finishing above .500 and he could use that to spring board Unlv basketball to a 4th - 6th finish in the MW next season.  

4 minutes ago, slappy said:

I don’t know.  If MM can find a way to be .500 in MW play then I feel like he has done a heck of a job with the talent he has.  It would be his first time finishing above .500 and he could use that to spring board Unlv basketball to a 4th - 6th finish in the MW next season.  

Trolling on point 👌

At this point, and especially next season, it will be 100% Menzies fault whatever type of talent he has on the roster.

Menzies has whiffed a lot in recruiting, and that is why the team is bad and hoping to upgrade talent next year.

He should be finishing top 4 to 6 this season, and should be competing at the top next. 

The way they finish up in this last 7 or so games should be interesting. What happens, if anything, after the mwc tournament is also interesting.

4 minutes ago, BleedRed702 said:

Trolling on point 👌

I just don’t see the talent on the floor and I think Unlv fans are expecting a lot considering what he has to coach.  I thought at the beginning of the year he could finish 6 - 9 in the MW.  That is where I predicted Unlv would be and it most likely will happen that way. I believe MM has won around 30% of his MW games in this league.  If he can find a way to be .500 in year 3 I would be impressed.  

2 minutes ago, slappy said:

I just don’t see the talent on the floor and I think Unlv fans are expecting a lot considering what he has to coach.  I thought at the beginning of the year he could finish 6 - 9 in the MW.  That is where I predicted Unlv would be and it most likely will happen that way. I believe MM has won around 30% of his MW games in this league.  If he can find a way to be .500 in year 3 I would be impressed.  

I agree about the talent, but all the players are his.

If the UNLV administration has expectations similar to yours, I believe he will be replaced after this season. 

He needs a top 3 finish next year and a respectable post season.

26 minutes ago, slappy said:

I did an analysis earlier.  Can’t remember what thread.  If things play out as expected, UNLV should finish 11-7 and come in fourth.  Basically, UNLV, Boise State, and San Diego are vying for fourth and fifth.  UNLV has the easiest remaining schedule.  San Diego State has the hardest.