Jump to content
mugtang

Green New Deal

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Yes, we paid some engineers and laborers to pour concrete and steel into a river at the cost of .00082% of the national gdp. We didn’t have to shut down the railroads and burn all the cornfields to facillitate an increase of 33% government spending, making 33% of all gdp to be allocated by the government for the program alone, to make it happen.

There is investment. And there is retarded socialism. All apologies for my breach of etiquette @CPslograd, but this bill is truly retarded in the most insulting sense to bad ideas and nothing else. It bears no resemblense to a small, government program that could produce enormous economic benefits.

My intention was not to defend the green new deal, which is nuts for the most part, but to counter the belief that all government spending and investment is bad, that the economy is on some libertarian island only hindered by the government.  Things like the hoover dam and the space program are mere drops in the fiscal ocean yet are responsible for a massive amount of today's GDP.    

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Take a trip into absolute bizarro land with this twitter thread. AOC retweeted this dude making fun of Tucker getting "blown out" by her crazy leftist adviser on some of the details in the FAQ of the Green New Deal:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/status/1094046349329338369

They posted it literally as some kind of 'Tucker got BTFO moment'. It’s absolutely insane they literally live in some sort of bizarro opposite world

They're acting as if the FAQ page (that they took down off the website after it went viral) is a “fake document circulating by GOP conspiracy theorists” This adviser tries to hide all of AOCs embarrassing GND ideas by saying what they originally listed in the FAQ was a doctored document. Specifically they use Mark Dice’s save toilet water joke screenshot. AOC RTed it implying he’s some GOP leader mastermind Russian agent putting out the equivalent of the piss dossier. 

These people are actually crazy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, renoskier said:

Pfffttt....we can't "afford" our current military either. Doesn't stop us though does it?

Really, that's your reflexive defense of this silly "proposal" 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Rebels18 said:

Take a trip into absolute bizarro land with this twitter thread. AOC retweeted this dude making fun of Tucker getting "blown out" by her crazy leftist adviser on some of the details in the FAQ of the Green New Deal:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/status/1094046349329338369

They posted it literally as some kind of 'Tucker got BTFO moment'. It’s absolutely insane they literally live in some sort of bizarro opposite world

They're acting as if the FAQ page (that they took down off the website after it went viral) is a “fake document circulating by GOP conspiracy theorists” This adviser tries to hide all of AOCs embarrassing GND ideas by saying what they originally listed in the FAQ was a doctored document. Specifically they use Mark Dice’s save toilet water joke screenshot. AOC RTed it implying he’s some GOP leader mastermind Russian agent putting out the equivalent of the piss dossier. 

These people are actually crazy.

I got into an argument on twitter with somebody who said economic security for those unwilling to work didn’t mean giving them money.  They kept moving the goal posts.  It was hilarious. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This keeps getting better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Akkula said:

See...all the "communists" on this board are just taking a moderate position recognizing the role of a mixed capitalist system while the "conservatives" are taking the position of anarchy.  Capitalism is a necessary but not sufficient condition for a successful society and you need the people to get together to solve problems that the capitalist system is unable to handle.  Without the government we wouldn't have the internet, the hoover dam, we couldn't navigate the rivers, we wouldn't have an interstate highway system, no power grid, a very under educated public.  The list goes on and on.  Imagine if the internet were never created by the government and made available...how many companies wouldn't exist?  The people funded and developed that and let all those companies use it for FREE!  Private businesses get access to subsidized land grazing, public drilling, coast guard protection from pirates, at either no charge or a hugely subsidized rate for the most powerful interests.  Who is stealing from whom!?!

 

No one is saying government isn't needed or wanted.   Just pointing out it isn't an entity on its own without someone else funding its existence.

Private enterprise built the government, hoover dam, the internet, the highway system, the power grid.   All of those things could have been done without government help and probably better.  Nothing government does is at no charge, government is the leach on the system.   All those companies are the people.  They are the ones that produce the tax revenue that lets government exist.  Government does nothing without all those companies providing their ability to exist.

 

  • Like 5
  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CPslograd said:

Really, that's your reflexive defense of this silly "proposal" 

Oh no, regardless of price, it's a stupid proposal but "soups" complaint was about being able to "afford it". My point is that when has affording it ever gotten in the way of government spending? That goes for the military too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After thinking about this a bit more, this proposal is just trickle down economics but with progressive ideas.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/7/2019 at 2:31 PM, sebasour said:

Yeah there's nothing serious about any of these proposals. It's largely an attempt to push the party to the left IMO.

On the environment, AOC is a left wingnut. On the environment, Trump is a right wingnut. Somewhere there is a happy medium.

That said, I must ask NorCal and others just how they think AOC's socialistic economic position enters into this particular debate and how they can apparently ignore the opinion of the vast majority of environmental experts that if the U.S. should continue to implement the Trumpian elevation of business over the Earth, where they think our children's children will be in half a century.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of AOCDS in this thread. I predict she’ll eventually need her own subforum. 

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Lots of AOCDS in this thread. I predict she’ll eventually need her own subforum. 

I may just create AOCBBS.com.  I’m a capitalist.  I won’t share the wealth though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bluerules009 said:

No one is saying government isn't needed or wanted.   Just pointing out it isn't an entity on its own without someone else funding its existence.

Private enterprise built the government, hoover dam, the internet, the highway system, the power grid.   All of those things could have been done without government help and probably better.  Nothing government does is at no charge, government is the leach on the system.   All those companies are the people.  They are the ones that produce the tax revenue that lets government exist.  Government does nothing without all those companies providing their ability to exist.

 

Government isn't dependent on capitalism for its existence but the opposite is not true.  Without a supportive government capitalism as we know our can't exist. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Akkula said:

Government isn't dependent on capitalism for its existence but the opposite is not true.  Without a supportive government capitalism as we know our can't exist. 

I hate when I agree with you.  Say something positive about the Soviet Union or something so I can go back to disagreeing with you :P 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mugtang said:

I hate when I agree with you.  Say something positive about the Soviet Union or something so I can go back to disagreeing with you :P 

No one in government is working for free except for Trump. He must be the government onto himself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, mugtang said:

I hate when I agree with you.  Say something positive about the Soviet Union or something so I can go back to disagreeing with you :P 

Without the people getting together through government to bless the capitalist system,  the capitalist would have all their capital pillaged in about 1 minute.   The biggest beneficiary of the government is the capitalist. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

No one in government is working for free except for Trump. He must be the government onto himself. 

One thing I really like about Trump is he donates his salary every quarter.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, renoskier said:

Oh no, regardless of price, it's a stupid proposal but "soups" complaint was about being able to "afford it". My point is that when has affording it ever gotten in the way of government spending? That goes for the military too!

Fair enough 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, mugtang said:

I may just create AOCBBS.com.  I’m a capitalist.  I won’t share the wealth though. 

You didn't build this..... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×