Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Green New Deal

9 hours ago, bluerules009 said:

It is being publicized by the right because it is a winning election issue.  AOCDS and her "Green New Deal" is the best thing for republicans election chances since Nancy Pelosi.

That is all.   Trying to make anything more of it than that is idiotic.

Exactly. The Republicans are painting her as a typical Democrat. And given how many Democrats are supporting her ideas, maybe they aren’t wrong. The Democrats leaders would be wise to tell her to STFU. 

15 minutes ago, happycamper said:

You can replace this with "republican" and the policy with "REPEAL WITH NO REPLACE OBAMACARE" and it's the same thing (maybe not in 2010 but by the time 2016 happened it was obvious that a replace was needed as much as a repeal). Everybody is looking over their left shoulder until the general, at this point I want to just go back to the party choosing whoever has the party votes by the balls in a smoky room in mid June and we get presented with two candidates whose qualifications are "could bend, twist, coerce, and convince enough other politicians to vote for them" instead of "could convince enough people to caucus in a party primary". IMO it would slide people's interest towards congresspeople (yay!) and the skillset of "making backdoor deals with other movers and shakers and presenting them to the public" is a lot more valuable once they are in the position than the campaigning skillset that Obama and Trump have. 

LOL, it’s nowhere near the same thing.

v0icAvfW.jpg

15 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

Right, your team's dumb political stunts are wildly different. Tale as old as time. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

26 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Exactly. The Republicans are painting her as a typical Democrat. And given how many Democrats are supporting her ideas, maybe they aren’t wrong. The Democrats leaders would be wise to tell her to STFU. 

You guys are spot on about that. However, the most powerful Democrat remains Nancy Pelosi and she subtly tried to put the kibosh on all the elation about the idea.

Of course, Pelosi doesn't chair the Democratic National Committee and four years ago the Dems put Debbie Wasserman Schultz in charge of that and she basically conspired to rig things so virtually nobody would dare run against Hillary and then when Bernie Sanders briefly reregistered Democrat so he could run against the woman, Schultz and other leaders pulled strings to fix the primary. I don't know enough about Tom Perez to put my finger on his political philosophy but at least he strikes me as somebody ethical enough not to pull that BS and their are some declared candidates like Sherrod Brown who have already had the sense to question where the money is going to come from to fund all that environmental stuff.

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 hour ago, smltwnrckr said:

Rashida Tlaib said impeach the mother+++++er. 

And this is my point.

What's your point? 

That was covered too.  Sorry, I didn't know which crazy freshman Democrat said what.  They all sound the same. 

AOC gets more hype I guess.  You think it's because she is pretty I guess.  Maybe, who knows.  Not sure what your profound revelation is here. 

1 minute ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

You guys are spot on about that. However, the most powerful Democrat remains Nancy Pelosi and she subtly tried to put the kibosh on all the elation about the idea.

Of course, Pelosi doesn't chair the Democratic National Committee and four years ago the Dems put Debbie Wasserman Schultz in charge of that and she basically conspired to rig things so virtually nobody would dare run against Hillary and then when Bernie Sanders briefly reregistered Democrat so he could run against the woman, Schultz and other leaders pulled strings to fix the primary. I don't know enough about Tom Perez to put my finger on his political philosophy but at least he strikes me as somebody ethical enough not to pull that BS and their are some declared candidates like Sherrod Brown who have already had the sense to question where the money is going to come from to fund all that environmental stuff.

Pelosi handled that very well, I have to admit. 

Just now, Artist formerly known as Hal said:

Living in Wyoming is going to impossible under this deal 

Ah, just design a plug to stick up the ass of all those cows and everything will be hunky dory.

Boom goes the dynamite.

6 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

What's your point? 

That was covered too.  Sorry, I didn't know which crazy freshman Democrat said what.  They all sound the same. 

AOC gets more hype I guess.  You think it's because she is pretty I guess.  Maybe, who knows.  Not sure what your profound revelation is here. 

My point is that the right has a hard on for AOC right now, and I think it's funny and weird. Even if the GOP is trying to make her the new boogeyman of the Democrat Party, if it's pure strategy, it's still funny and weird. And I think that attributing any loony thing a democrat said to her helps prove my point. Why do I have to have a point beyond that?

The closest thing to profundity that I think may be lurking under all this is the fact that the right seems to treat another high-profile member of congress who basically has the same fundamental beliefs (especially when it comes to planned economies) significantly differently than AOC. Bernie is a sympathetic figure to a lot of conservatives, even Trump. AOC is basically a young brown chick version of Bernie, and she's added a little bit of racial politics to the mix. But she's the devil. Well, she's dumb too. A dumb devil. A dumb she-devil, who's kinda hot, you know? What explains this dynamic? I think the answer to that question is as interesting as anything else in American politics right now.

And let's be clear here - I think the Green New Deal is just as dumb and pointless and bad as you think it is. I've been rolling my eyes at this sort of stuff for years as we've seen it in California. But AOC concerns me very little, because she's a freshman congresswoman with the party that still only runs one half of one branch of government. Apparently a lot of people don't see it that way. There are multiple known crooks who are currently sitting in congress and who are more dangerous to democracy than AOC, by far, and yet here we are. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

4 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

My point is that the right has a hard on for AOC right now, and I think it's funny and weird. Even if the GOP is trying to make her the new boogeyman of the Democrat Party, if it's pure strategy, it's still funny and weird. And I think that attributing any loony thing a democrat said to her helps prove my point. Why do I have to have a point beyond that?

So what?

The World Needs More Cowboys!

1 minute ago, pokebball said:

So what?

she's become a symbol. symbols matter. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

1 hour ago, NorCalCoug said:

The scope of the policies are hugely different, but I think his point is that the Dem hopefuls are afraid to not sign on to it, just like the Republican hopefuls were afraid to not sign on for repeal.

2 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

she's become a symbol. symbols matter. 

To our psyche symbols tend to matter more than facts. Especially with how utterly detail-focused our government is. Not even the policy people who work with them can muster up a lot of passion about real planning items. We're hardwired to respond to symbols and ceremony though. I mean... that's why we have them.

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

1 minute ago, CPslograd said:

There we go, that's the link I meant to post. 

That’s toxic masculinity.  Gillette does not approve. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater