Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Extra Mayo

2019 Mountain West Conference Softball

On 5/14/2019 at 7:21 AM, soupslam1 said:

Even after being swept by Fresno, Boise State ended up with the best RPI other than CSU of the rest of the MWC teams. They played a solid nonconference schedule and went 18-2. Still even the coaching staff and players were surprised they were selected. They didn’t even bother having a selection show watch party and found out after the fact. 

Regardless I don’t see them going far. They don’t have a dominant pitcher which is why they floundered in conference. 

I saw Boise’s pitcher was named MWC pitcher of the year.. But I’m guessing they don’t have anymore behind her.

10 minutes ago, IanforHeisman said:

I saw Boise’s pitcher was named MWC pitcher of the year.. But I’m guessing they don’t have anymore behind her.

Kelsey Broadus was pitcher of the year in 2018 as a sophomore and has been playing pretty well this year but SJSU pitcher won the 2019 award. Fun Fact - on social media it looks like she is dating Justinian Jessup.

This year sophomore Gianna Mancha may be just as good or better.  Very similar stats on the year.

image.png

Broadus pitched well today, but Stanford had a lot of well hit balls right at someone plus BSU made some good defensive plays. Broadus is a good pitcher, but not an elite pitcher that you can count on to dominate even the top MWC teams. 

Boise State is a very good hitting team, one of the best in the country. If they had a couple of elite pitchers, they would be a top ten team.

A Public Service Announcement in case some folks forgot or don't know how the NCAA Tournament works in softball (and baseball)...

Each round is double elimination.  It starts out with the 64 teams divided into 16 Regionals (4 teams each).  The winners of each regional advance to a best of 3 Super Regionals.  The 8 teams who win that advance to the College World Series.  For softball, it's held in Oklahoma City.  Baseball - Omaha.  Then repeat the process until a champion is crowned.

3 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Kelsey Broadus was pitcher of the year in 2018 as a sophomore and has been playing pretty well this year but SJSU pitcher won the 2019 award. Fun Fact - on social media it looks like she is dating Justinian Jessup.

This year sophomore Gianna Mancha may be just as good or better.  Very similar stats on the year.

image.png

Yeah my bad I read the tweet wrong.

2 hours ago, jdgaucho said:

A Public Service Announcement in case some folks forgot or don't know how the NCAA Tournament works in softball (and baseball)...

Each round is double elimination.  It starts out with the 64 teams divided into 16 Regionals (4 teams each).  The winners of each regional advance to a best of 3 Super Regionals.  The 8 teams who win that advance to the College World Series.  For softball, it's held in Oklahoma City.  Baseball - Omaha.  Then repeat the process until a champion is crowned.

Boise State embarrasses the MWC losing to fifth ranked Florida 8-0 in five innings. The Bronco starter walked five Gators and gave up four seeing eye singles in the first inning to plate 6 runs for Florida. 

Boise State comes back in the afternoon to beat Stanford a second time 2-0 and faces Florida a second time tomorrow. Hopefully they don’t have the deer in the headlights look they had this morning and give the Gators a competitive game. 

5 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Boise State embarrasses the MWC losing to fifth ranked Florida 8-0 in five innings. The Bronco starter walked five Gators and gave up four seeing eye singles in the first inning to plate 6 runs for Florida. 

Boise State comes back in the afternoon to beat Stanford a second time 2-0 and faces Florida a second time tomorrow. Hopefully they don’t have the deer in the headlights look they had this morning and give the Gators a competitive game. 

You got swept by probably the worst Fresno team ever to close the regular season. I’m just surprised you guys won any games in the tournament. 

Fresno_State_Jim_Sweeny_Field_(_Bulldog_Stadium).jpg

14 hours ago, TheTedfordTrain said:

You got swept by probably the worst Fresno team ever to close the regular season. I’m just surprised you guys won any games in the tournament. 

Yeah, except Fresno is sitting home while Boise State is still playing and won a couple of games in the NCAA tournament. Who has been more successful? 

5 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Yeah, except Fresno is sitting home while Boise State is still playing and won a couple of games in the NCAA tournament. Who has been more successful? 

Still swept you. I’d rather have had more success in football, men’s basketball, and baseball. You can have softball this year. We already have like 50 conference titles, a bunch of CWS’s, and a national championship there. Congrats on your regional loss. 

On 5/14/2019 at 10:48 AM, Cincy said:

I was listening to our local ESPN radio station yesterday and the guy was talking about how Texas A&M got an at large bid, despite going something like 6-18 in SEC play.  I think they were 25-22 overall.  They finished dead last (13th place) in the SEC and lost the play-in game to get into the SEC Post Season Tournament.  They didn't even play in the post season tournament,.

SEC bias for ya.  A last place team who played 2/3 of their schedule at home and went 2-11 on the road earns an at-large bid.  UNLV and SJSU get snubbed.

On 5/19/2019 at 11:32 PM, jdgaucho said:

SEC bias for ya.  A last place team who played 2/3 of their schedule at home and went 2-11 on the road earns an at-large bid.  UNLV and SJSU get snubbed.

You mean SDSU