Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stealthlobo

OT - New Mexican chile "Christmas"?

So growing up in Albuquerque you always got asked red or green, and that's it right? We'll the last decade or so I've been living in Hawaii and Colorado with a few scattered trips back home always having to eat new Mexican food.

Anyways, I'm in town now and every restaurant I go to everyone around us is always ordering their Chile "Christmas".  Is this a thing now? Back in the day it was only tourists or the rare local that ordered it. Now it seems everyone is getting it. Just weird to me, heh.

Hmm

3 hours ago, Stealthlobo said:

So growing up in Albuquerque you always got asked red or green, and that's it right? We'll the last decade or so I've been living in Hawaii and Colorado with a few scattered trips back home always having to eat new Mexican food.

Anyways, I'm in town now and every restaurant I go to everyone around us is always ordering their Chile "Christmas".  Is this a thing now? Back in the day it was only tourists or the rare local that ordered it. Now it seems everyone is getting it. Just weird to me, heh.

I was like, "what the hell? Christmas chile?". Then realized green and red= Xmas colors.

I'm a firm believer in keeping your chile pure, but! I would try Xmas chile.

As long as its true red chile sauce and green chile sauce it works.

I would never, however, combine red chili with green "chili".

Another surprisingly good combo is sugo (basic Italian red sauce) and alfredo...

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

11 hours ago, Lobo Amor said:

I always ask which is hotter and that's the one I choose. As for Christmas I'll have once in a while to mix it up but I mostly prefer green.

If you're ever in Los Angeles, go to King Taco. Ask for la salsa roja.

I go green.. always. Red is ok, but interferes with other food tastes imo. Green almost always compliments the foods I order it with. 

I’ve had red on the side just for an occasional sampling.

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

4 minutes ago, LoboMan59 said:

I go green.. always. Red is ok, but interferes with other food tastes imo. Green almost always compliments the foods I order it with. 

I agree. When I was young and foolish, I just went with the hottest. Macho! Then, I realized it just took over all the flavor. I now enjoy the verde with most foods. When I need my sinuses cleared, bring on la roja!

I love both red and green chile sauce. It’s rare to find good Mexican food up here in Boston so I tend to make my own rather than eat out. My mother spent her childhood in Luna and Dona Ana Counties in New Mexico so we used to go down there to visit my cousins quite often. The enchiladas, chile rellenos, and tacos were other worldly delicious. I miss that food, fond memories.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

14 hours ago, LoboMan59 said:

You just haven’t had the right red.

Seriously you’re right, it’s a more robust flavor profile.  Green is more universal but I make a barbacoa with red in the broth that is F ing delish.  Like anthing, it’s how you use it.

Nothing to really say here.....except GO MWC!!

7 minutes ago, Chile_Ute said:

You just haven’t had the right red.

Seriously you’re right, it’s a more robust flavor profile.  Green is more universal but I make a barbacoa with red in the broth that is F ing delish.  Like anthing, it’s how you use it.

I don’t believe you... prove it to me... and what time is dinner? :P

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."