Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crixus

AAF Games

Sunday's final scores -  

@ Birmingham 26 Memphis 0

Arizona 38 Salt Lake 22

Home teams won all four games this weekend.

47 minutes ago, thatsmymammy said:

The Arizona game was pretty good. I worry about the teams that are in NFL cities though. 

Atlanta and Arizona, I thought the same thing. According to this article it was a successful first night ratings wise. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/big-win-aaf-new-football-league-posts-better-ratings-rockets-thunder-174503810.html

4 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

They pay more than the CFL, they have a solid TV contract line up, and honestly the only thing I don't like is the start date. I would start it the last week in February simply for weather reasons.

if attendance is any indication then they're off to a solid start.

The Grey Cup has been around for over 100 years and the CFL is part of the culture in Canada. CFL teams are pretty much the second most popular professional team in most cities behind hockey (Toronto and possibly Vancouver being the exceptions). CFL teams are not farm teams, so even if they pay less and get less talent, there will still be interest and nationally televised games-- much like there is for certain college teams 

This league is trying to become a farm system for the NFL. That is something completely different.  If that is how it goes, television viewership is going to decline. Nobody watches the minor leagues on TV.  The teams will exist as an extension of the club they are tied to. Winning and competition will not be the primary reason for the the team's existence.  The stakes in the NBA G League are low-- even though the quality of basketball is high. Therefore, nobody really gives a shit what happens in that league.

10 hours ago, Spot50B said:

The Grey Cup has been around for over 100 years and the CFL is part of the culture in Canada. CFL teams are pretty much the second most popular professional team in most cities behind hockey (Toronto and possibly Vancouver being the exceptions). CFL teams are not farm teams, so even if they pay less and get less talent, there will still be interest and nationally televised games-- much like there is for certain college teams 

This league is trying to become a farm system for the NFL. That is something completely different.  If that is how it goes, television viewership is going to decline. Nobody watches the minor leagues on TV.  The teams will exist as an extension of the club they are tied to. Winning and competition will not be the primary reason for the the team's existence.  The stakes in the NBA G League are low-- even though the quality of basketball is high. Therefore, nobody really gives a shit what happens in that league.

But the Alliance has NFL people who care about the NFL's well-being. It's not a farm system, but it might involve shades of the NBA G League.

"Our objective is to take some of those people who can't quite make it and make them into quality NFL players," Polian said.

And the NFL wants on-the-bubble players to get reps elsewhere, Polian said. The Chicago Bears recently gave Phoenix general manager Phil Savage a list of prospects for him to watch closely during a scouting trip to Bourbonnais, Illinois.

"Since NFL Europe expired 10 years ago, there's been a real desire and frustration by NFL personnel people that there's a missing link as far as a developmental type league for prospects that weren't quite ready," said Savage, former general manager of the Cleveland Browns and Senior Bowl director.

--------------------------------------

they have no other football to compete with nor do they have to worry about players getting 'called up' during the season

mem skyline sig.jpeg

31 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

But the Alliance has NFL people who care about the NFL's well-being. It's not a farm system, but it might involve shades of the NBA G League.

"Our objective is to take some of those people who can't quite make it and make them into quality NFL players," Polian said.

And the NFL wants on-the-bubble players to get reps elsewhere, Polian said. The Chicago Bears recently gave Phoenix general manager Phil Savage a list of prospects for him to watch closely during a scouting trip to Bourbonnais, Illinois.

"Since NFL Europe expired 10 years ago, there's been a real desire and frustration by NFL personnel people that there's a missing link as far as a developmental type league for prospects that weren't quite ready," said Savage, former general manager of the Cleveland Browns and Senior Bowl director.

--------------------------------------

they have no other football to compete with nor do they have to worry about players getting 'called up' during the season

The big payday for the people putting this league together is to sell all or part to the NFL. The CBA wasn't a farm system either but most of the teams eventually sold to NBA franchises-- and it essentially morphed into the D league (now the G League).

While it was interesting to see what the new product looks like I can say that after watching two of the AAF games this weekend it confirmed a few things for me.  I've still no real interest in pro football regardless of the league.  Even though college football is my favorite sport this time of year is my favorite time for sports in general.  With the NHL, NCAA hockey, basketball and wrestling and FIS skiing I simply don't have the time or interest in pursuing more football.

9 minutes ago, Spot50B said:

The big payday for the people putting this league together is to sell all or part to the NFL. The CBA wasn't a farm system either but most of the teams eventually sold to NBA franchises-- and it essentially morphed into the D league (now the G League).

See, I would prefer it stayed a separate thing owned by former NFL people....friendly with the NFL, but not owned or run by them

for now at least it's fun football that reminds me of the USFL (before Trump screwed it all up)

mem skyline sig.jpeg

11 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

See, I would prefer it stayed a separate thing owned by former NFL people....friendly with the NFL, but not owned or run by them

for now at least it's fun football that reminds me of the USFL (before Trump screwed it all up)

Hopefully it will be like that for a while. 

The XFL could be more like the USFL-- at least that is what I think they are trying to do but being a year behind the 8 ball is going to hurt them.

What: Alliance of American Football (AAF)

Who: Salt Lake Stallions vs Birmingham Iron

When: Saturday, Feb. 16, 2019

Where: Legion Field

Time: 2 p.m. Eastern

TV: TNT

Image result for aaf football logos

The Memphis Express will face the Arizona Hotshots at Liberty Bowl stadium 2/16 at 7pm CT. The contest will appear on NFL Network.

It was raining today but they have the Liberty Bowl looking nice for the game

7810ad7b-89d0-4837-879a-7f4bfcba8c6f-AAF

it's projecting to be partly cloudy with a high of 48 for game day (5-10% chance of rain)

mem skyline sig.jpeg

13 hours ago, crixus said:

What: Alliance of American Football (AAF)

Who: Salt Lake Stallions vs Birmingham Iron

When: Saturday, Feb. 16, 2019

Where: Legion Field

Time: 2 p.m. Eastern

TV: TNT

Image result for aaf football logos

My Stallions are toast.  Birmingham will destroy them.  I'll still watch though.

2 hours ago, Headbutt said:

My Stallions are toast.  Birmingham will destroy them.  I'll still watch though.

It's 9-0, your Stallions lead at halftime. The Iron have looked terrible so far...

8 minutes ago, crixus said:

It's 9-0, your Stallions lead at halftime. The Iron have looked terrible so far...

Yep.  I'm surprised.  Iron have the best QB and RB in the league, I was definitely skeered of them.  I do think the Stallions have the best O and D line in the Alliance.  That appears to be the difference.

I do love me some off season football!!!

24 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

Yep.  I'm surprised.  Iron have the best QB and RB in the league, I was definitely skeered of them.  I do think the Stallions have the best O and D line in the Alliance.  That appears to be the difference.

I do love me some off season football!!!

I love it too. I'm going to the San Diego Fleet game tomorrow at 5:00, after the San Diego Legion rugby match at 2:00. I'll have to race down I-8 to make it on time. B)

No photo description available.

th?id=OIP.43Qg0cpxsi6DlxWwbSsVDgHaEN%26w

based on that map San Antonio should always host the championship IMHO.

It's a nice dome in centrally located downtown San Antonio that's a 10 min stroll to the famous River Walk.

It would be the perfect destination and weather wouldn't matter at a dome.

mem skyline sig.jpeg