Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bruininthebay

American Athletic and ESPN do not reach agreement during exclusive negotiations for new TV deal

Recommended Posts

from the Memphis board.

https://csnbbs.com/thread-870270.html

Quote

Tom Bowen said some conference TV contract numbers may come out in early March. This morning on with Wolo and Peter. He said he did not know what those numbers were because President Rudd, who chairs the committee that talks directly to Aresco about this, is prevented from sharing that information with anyone outside the approve circle.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the numbers come out in early March, it will be after the exclusive negotiation period ends.  TB isn't breaking any news; he's explaining the process.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, happycamper said:

I always kind of get the feeling that in 50 years, the idea that Rutgers was in the B1G will be treated the same way that the tidbit that Tulane used to be in the SEC will be. 

You think Rutgers will be kicked out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Big Ten appreciates history.  https://scarletknights.com/sports/2017/6/11/sports-m-footbl-archive-first-game-html.aspx Rutgers v Princeton in New Brunsick New Jersey in 1869 is generally considered the first college football game played.   There is value in having Rutgers in the B1G beyond cable subcribers in the New York metroplex.

EDIT  Kansas to the Big Ten makes even more sense when you consider the administrators thought it was a good idea to get Rutgers based partially on the fact the first college football games was played there.  Kansas is where basketball was invented. FURTHER EDIT Facepalm myself

AND the Big Ten Network would be a lot more interesting during men's basketball conference play with the Jayhawks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

You think Rutgers will be kicked out?

Something like that, yeah. I think that viewing habits of each successive generation is set to be a disaster financially for this type of arrangement in the next 10-30 years. If Rutgers becomes a net drain on the B1G, I'm not sure they can even afford to really be in it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bruininthebay said:

 Kansas is where basketball was invented.

Naismith invented the game in Springfield, Mass.  He was, however, KU's 1st coach 8 years later.  Also, their only losing coach.  None of which is relevant regardless.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

There was some talk that they are getting 10+mil/team.  The Memphis prez was straight up giddy sounding in an interview today.

some dude on our board known for his 'recruiting info' and the fact he sits in luxury box at FEF so he's privy to the 'word on the street' say it's 6 years, 369 million dollar deal with ESPN for Tier 1/2 rights that will pay 5.13 million per team.

no idea if that's right but I'd take it in a second.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting post.  Apparently the Memphis media are the only journalists getting any information on this.

So BYU and the teams in the American are in the same $5 to $6 million ballpark?  It would be hard to see the MW below $4 million per team per year for a tier 1/2 deal that doesn't include tier 3.

With both the SDSU West stadium (Bowl game: Pac 12 v MW ) and a new Hawaii stadium ( bowl game tie in of American/BYU/Navy) on track, it's not unreasonable to see some of the gap further reduced with bowl game revenue to the conference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2019 at 8:49 AM, #1Stunner said:

ESPN has inventory in "window 4" already:

(1) PAC12 (PAC12 has a deal with Fox and ESPN)

(2) BYU (BYU is currently negotiating its next deal with ESPN, per Tom Holmoe last week)

(3) Boise State (Boise has a separate ESPN TV deal from the MWC)

 

This comment is absolutely true.  It’s also why Thompson is a moron to facilitate late season games with BYU and why the Boise deal needs to be undone.  Only a moron facilitates competition with your own product.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sactowndog said:

This comment is absolutely true.  It’s also why Thompson is a moron to facilitate late season games with BYU and why the Boise deal needs to be undone.  Only a moron facilitates competition with your own product.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

 

Good point if you are calling out the Presidents. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Good point if you are calling out the Presidents. 

Which I absolutely was. And see the thread I just started about the best MWC AD ever.

MWC presidents may know academics but with the exception of Bob Kustra, for the most part they've been amazingly inept regarding athletics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

some dude on our board known for his 'recruiting info' and the fact he sits in luxury box at FEF so he's privy to the 'word on the street' say it's 6 years, 369 million dollar deal with ESPN for Tier 1/2 rights that will pay 5.13 million per team.

no idea if that's right but I'd take it in a second.

I would be disappointed with ~5.  Aresco Turned down that much initially in exchange for earlier renegotiating rights to build worth.  It’ll be at least 8/team.

also I’m sure your guy sees some people and shakes some hands but numbers that specific don’t leave the negotiating room.  Now if he said around 400m and 5-6/team that would seem credible 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

I would be disappointed with ~5.  Aresco Turned down that much initially in exchange for earlier renegotiating rights to build worth.  It’ll be at least 8/team.

also I’m sure your guy sees some people and shakes some hands but numbers that specific don’t leave the negotiating room.  Now if he said around 400m and 5-6/team that would seem credible 

I'm just passing along what I heard...I didn't present it as fact nor did I lie about where I got it. It's just rumor from someone who's been right before.

5.13 million would represent more than 2.5 times what the AAC is currently getting. I wouldn't say 'no' to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

I'm just passing along what I heard...I didn't present it as fact nor did I lie about where I got it. It's just rumor from someone who's been right before.

5.13 million would represent more than 2.5 times what the AAC is currently getting. I wouldn't say 'no' to it.

Nope.  Of course it ain't happening, but hypothetically I doubt Aresco would turn it down.  I get that the AAC has a lot of BB cachet that the rest of the G5 lacks, but that's BB.  It ain't enough to get a 250% increase from a struggling consumer with a failing business model.  Three wouldn't shock me at all.  Five is crazy talk IMO.  Eight would, and should, get the ESPN negotiator a serious boot in the arse to help his trip out the door.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

Nope.  Of course it ain't happening, but hypothetically I doubt Aresco would turn it down.  I get that the AAC has a lot of BB cachet that the rest of the G5 lacks, but that's BB.  It ain't enough to get a 250% increase from a struggling consumer with a failing business model.  Three wouldn't shock me at all.  Five is crazy talk IMO.  Eight would, and should, get the ESPN negotiator a serious boot in the arse to help his trip out the door.

UCF and Houston have played in the Peach and Fiesta Bowl a total of 4 times in the short time the AAC existed...also, during that same time span...Navy, Memphis, and USF have enjoyed 10+ win seasons...it's not like we haven't shown that our football is undervalued as it is.

the failing business model is paying teams 30+ million per year...going from 2 to 5.1+ isn't going to bankrupt ESPN.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

UCF and Houston have played in the Peach and Fiesta Bowl a total of 4 times in the short time the AAC existed...also, during that same time span...Navy, Memphis, and USF have enjoyed 10+ win seasons...it's not like we haven't shown that our football is undervalued as it is.

the failing business model is paying teams 30+ million per year...going from 2 to 5.1+ isn't going to bankrupt ESPN.

Nope, you won't bankrupt them.  But for a failing business, an unnecessary 250% increase in payout just doesn't make a ton of sense.  If they say no to $5 mil, where you gonna' go to get a yes?

BTW, all our football is undervalued if we're not in the B1G or SEC.  Do you think they just woke up and decided to do the right thing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

Nope, you won't bankrupt them.  But for a failing business, an unnecessary 250% increase in payout just doesn't make a ton of sense.  If they say no to $5 mil, where you gonna' go to get a yes?

BTW, all our football is undervalued if we're not in the B1G or SEC.  Do you think they just woke up and decided to do the right thing?

Fox, NBC, CBS (who loves buying our inventory from ESPN as it is)

that's what the BE did and it worked for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×