Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bruininthebay

American Athletic and ESPN do not reach agreement during exclusive negotiations for new TV deal

3 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

That would be a slap in the face to Rice.

SMU, Tulsa, Tulane, and Navy would need to say something.   Rice was screwed unfairly. 

I believe that Rice is more prestigious than any other private AAC school, correct?  They'd add a lot.

Since we are doing a bit of history here, Tulsa was not invited to the WAC-16.  Houston was...but Houston said no.  So Tulsa got picked instead.  I wish Houston accepted.  It wold have saved Tulsa a lot of grief...as Tulsa was involved in discussions at that time to join a proposed conference that became CUSA.

Guest #1Stunner
3 minutes ago, Tulsa Guy said:

Since we are doing a bit of history here, Tulsa was not invited to the WAC-16.  Houston was...but Houston said no.  So Tulsa got picked instead.  I wish Houston accepted.  It wold have saved Tulsa a lot of grief...as Tulsa was involved in discussions at that time to join a proposed conference that became CUSA.

Rice, Tulsa, Denver, SMU, Tulane, Oral Roberts, Navy, Incarnate Word.

9 hours ago, Pelado said:

As a private school, BYU is not bound by the FOIA and doesn't typically divulge the details of their contracts.  Same goes for the West Coast Conference - they're all private so there is no requirement to disclose contract details.  I haven't seen any credible speculation on what the next ESPN contract will look like.  I'm not sure I've seen credible information on how much the current contract pays out.  A few things to consider when it comes to BYU's media contracts:

• Their contract with ESPN will be only for the home football games
  • They will get a separate payout from the WCC for their basketball and other sports
  • Their Tier-3 games are not sold to an outside media partner - they broadcast those games on BYUtv.  Not sure how the revenues from advertising sales gets divided between athletics and broadcasting.

As for the best BYU fan blogs - the message board with the most traffic is cougarboard.com.  There's also cougarfan.com and some others.  My favorite is cougarstadium.com.

Thanks I appreciate the information.

9 hours ago, Pelado said:

As a private school, BYU is not bound by the FOIA and doesn't typically divulge the details of their contracts.  Same goes for the West Coast Conference - they're all private so there is no requirement to disclose contract details.  I haven't seen any credible speculation on what the next ESPN contract will look like.  I'm not sure I've seen credible information on how much the current contract pays out.  A few things to consider when it comes to BYU's media contracts:

• Their contract with ESPN will be only for the home football games
  • They will get a separate payout from the WCC for their basketball and other sports
  • Their Tier-3 games are not sold to an outside media partner - they broadcast those games on BYUtv.  Not sure how the revenues from advertising sales gets divided between athletics and broadcasting.

As for the best BYU fan blogs - the message board with the most traffic is cougarboard.com.  There's also cougarfan.com and some others.  My favorite is cougarstadium.com.

It use to be this site. I believe the owner of cougar board sold this to mug before all the BYU fans bailed. I’m sure he paid way to much for it.

The Masters 5k road race All American.

1 hour ago, SalinasSpartan said:

If UConn doesn’t luck out and get an invite to the ACC in the next round of realignment then they’d be better off dropping football and joining the Big East.

UConn is in far too deep to give up football now.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

28 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

UConn is in far too deep to give up football now.

Agree to disagree. To me it doesn’t really matter what they have invested to this point, if they don’t get in to the ACC it’d be the better long term move to just leave the AAC for the Big East. The money is probably a wash when you factor in tourney credits, (slightly) cheaper travel in the Big East, and the fact that they would be spending less money by dropping football and whatever women’s sport(s) needed to stay in title IX compliance.

In the AAC they are in a non-power conference in both of the major sports, in the Big East they are at least in a power conference for one. 

8 hours ago, Bruininthebay said:

You must admit that the possibility you don't have an new ESPN is not ruled out yet e able to provide content (a game) for can be substituted  with a Mountain West game.

possible? sure...likely? no...I'll take Rudd and Bowen in a credibility contest every time.

8 hours ago, Bruininthebay said:

The numbers TB will present tomorrow are probably what the American is seeking for its media

based on what?

mem skyline sig.jpeg

2 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Agree to disagree. To me it doesn’t really matter what they have invested to this point, if they don’t get in to the ACC it’d be the better long term move to just leave the AAC for the Big East. The money is probably a wash when you factor in tourney credits, (slightly) cheaper travel in the Big East, and the fact that they would be spending less money by dropping football and whatever women’s sport(s) needed to stay in title IX compliance.

In the AAC they are in a non-power conference in both of the major sports, in the Big East they are at least in a power conference for one. 

UConn isn't very attractive anymore...the BE isn't lusting for them.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

32 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

I think if they approached the Big East seeking admission, they would get an invite. 

Guest #1Stunner
2 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

Disagree.  They have a beautiful campus.  Their Cooeds don't look great, but not terrible.  

Can't speak about their Dudes.  Your thoughts?

12 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Disagree.  They have a beautiful campus.  Their Cooeds don't look great, but not terrible.  

the UConn dudes I've met all kinda look like Jim Calhoun....they're aging and the young mens hoops/football fans haven't had anything to cheer about in several years...not a good combo IMHO.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

12 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

I'd imagine the UConn coeds are pasty white and always drunk on imported maple syrup or something.

Guest #1Stunner
21 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

the UConn dudes I've met all kinda look like Jim Calhoun....they're aging and the young mens hoops/football fans haven't had anything to cheer about in several years...not a good combo IMHO.

I can see that.   Fair assessment.

But, UConn did win a Natty not too long ago.

Guest #1Stunner
15 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

I'd imagine the UConn coeds are pasty white and always drunk on imported maple syrup or something.

I think they have a large Latino population at UConn.

You might be thinking of Vermont.

4 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

I think they have a large Latino population at UConn.

You might be thinking of Vermont.

Perhaps.  But I think UConn's volleyball team this year sums up the population.  They did have a player from Russia, though.

1819VBALL_71.jpg?width=1600

4 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

I can see that.   Fair assessment.

But, UConn did win a Natty not too long ago.

the general consensus is Ollie won that Natty with Jim Calhoun's kids (Shabazz, Daniels, Boatright...all Calhoun recruits) and couldn't maintain the program on his own. It just makes it look like all UConn will ever be is Jim Calhoun and Geno Auriemma.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

On 3/5/2019 at 1:23 PM, Bruininthebay said:

The numbers TB will present tomorrow are probably what the American is seeking for its media rights so there isn't a misrepresentation (the future is inherently speculative). 

Memphis' President told the Board that the contract numbers shown in the presentation were just placeholders according to the bottom of this linked article. So no one still knows what the numbers are.

But university President M. David Rudd emphasized during the meeting those numbers are placeholders that don’t reflect the actual terms of the new deal. Rudd is part of the committee that helped the AAC during its negotiations.

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/college/memphis-tigers/football/2019/03/06/memphis-football-tigers-scheduling-practice-facility-revenue-mike-norvell-basketball-penny-hardaway/3052869002/