Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bruininthebay

American Athletic and ESPN do not reach agreement during exclusive negotiations for new TV deal

Recommended Posts

49 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

The bigger advantage is Aresco isn’t competing with himself or an independent.  If you took UCF out of the AAC package and negotiated it separately the AAC package would be much less.  

In our case we compete with PAC-12, BYU and Boise for TV dollars.   That competition severely limits our leverage and dollar share.   ESPN can bid on Boise and BYU and throw peanuts at the MWC. Without them ESPN would have to seriously compete for the MWC TV rights or show re-runs in the 7:00 pm slot.    

UConn has mens/womens NCAA titles in the AAC while Houston has a Peach Bowl Championship (and their current hoops run)....throw in Cincy, Memphis, etc...yeah, we have a lot more value than you're giving us credit for IMHO.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/2/2019 at 4:43 PM, SleepingGiantsFan said:

For you to doubt whether SDSU would be competitive in AAC sports other than football shows true ignorance.

Rid me of my ignorance and explain to me how it’s such a ridiculous thing to question how SDSU fits the diverse athletic profile of the aac.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/2/2019 at 5:22 PM, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Agreed.

Although virtually nobody acknowledges it here, the AAC is clearly a superior conference to the MWC. However, it just as clearly isn't headed toward future power conference status as many of the ignorant jingoists on the AAC board believe it is. Among reasons is the AAC has made a number of stupid decisions just like the MWC, particularly adding Tulane, and adding East Carolina wasn't exactly phi beta kappa either. ECU has never been anything but a football school, nobody outside its general area cares about the school, and the local population doesn't amount to diddly squat. The core of that conference had a chance to add Boise and SDSU for all sports plus 2-4 other MWC schools and create a conference which WOULD have had a shot at power conference status. Instead they added Tulane and ECU, drove away the C7 and hired a commissioner who is almost as lame as King Craig.

Tulane is old money.  They have pull in ways no school in the mwc has.  Also, the academics offer a facet the aac covets.  They used to be a big football program.  I like them in the league, bad take on your end.  Also, ECU has more interest in football than any team in the mwc, period.  They’ve been down for sure, but it’ll be good for college fb when they turn it around as they have a large fan base that extends to two states.  ECU is big in the Carolinas, again bigger than anything in the mwc.  Also, they are a baseball powerhouse, I wouldn’t expect you to know that but they constantly host regionals.  

Tulsa was a bad choice, but better geographically than SDSU or Boise, who can’t draw a decent viewership anyway so at least the Olympic sports can travel easier 

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Tulane is old money.  They have pull in ways no school in the mwc has.  Also, the academics offer a facet the aac covets.  They used to be a big football program.  I like them in the league, bad take on your end.  Also, ECU has more interest in football than any team in the mwc, period.  They’ve been down for sure, but it’ll be good for college fb when they turn it around as they have a large fan base that extends to two states.  ECU is big in the Carolinas, again bigger than anything in the mwc.  Also, they are a baseball powerhouse, I wouldn’t expect you to know that but they constantly host regionals.  

Tulsa was a bad choice, but better geographically than SDSU or Boise, who can’t draw a decent viewership anyway so at least the Olympic sports can travel easier 

 

ECU baseball? Last I saw was them choking away a College World Series bid in 2016.   Now about their basketball program.  One 20 win season in 55 years, have yet to crack .500 in conference play as a member of the AAC, was .500 or better in conference just twice in their dozen C-USA years.

Yup, mighty powerful that East Carolina.

Link to post
Share on other sites

SDSU was one of only 14 schools to  play post-season in football, basketball, and baseball last year. They may repeat this year. That is better athletics.than the vast majority of schools.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

SDSU at Boise: Notably, that is the only same-day comparison you make and you totally ignore the fact Tulsa at Houston was televised on ESPN, which everybody and their brother gets, whereas the SDSU-Boise game wasn't even on ESPN2 but rather ESPNU which almost nobody gets.

Isn't it interesting that this SDSU/Boise State  game could have been on ESPN given Boise State's ESPN TV contract but ESPN chose to put it on ESPNU instead?  SDSU and Boise State are two of the better MWC teams.

And isn't it interesting that ESPN chose the Tulsa/Houston game despite Tulsa's woeful football record to be on ESPN? 

I do think that a lot of AAC's success is due to agressive AAC Commissioner Aresco who put exposure over more TV money in the first ESPN TV contract.  This gave AAC chance to prove itself on the TV market.  And AAC did.  For the record, the Tulsa/Houston game (562K) outdrew the California/Arizona game (406K) and the KSU/Baylor game (317K) telecast the same day.

'

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, sactowndog said:

The bigger advantage is Aresco isn’t competing with himself or an independent.  If you took UCF out of the AAC package and negotiated it separately the AAC package would be much less.  

In our case we compete with PAC-12, BYU and Boise for TV dollars.   That competition severely limits our leverage and dollar share.   ESPN can bid on Boise and BYU and throw peanuts at the MWC. Without them ESPN would have to seriously compete for the MWC TV rights or show re-runs in the 7:00 pm slot.    

Two interesting points.  For the record, Boise State demanded more than an equal share of TV monies to join the AAC but AAC Commissioner Areso said no dice.  This from Connecticut press.

On the second point, AAC is in the larger eastern and midwest tv market in comparison to the west's smaller population but, on the other hand, AAC goes up against BiG, ACC, and Big12 in competing for viewership and has held its own.

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Tulsa Guy said:

...AAC goes up against BiG, ACC, and Big12 in competing for viewership and has held its own.

tenor.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Rid me of my ignorance and explain to me how it’s such a ridiculous thing to question how SDSU fits the diverse athletic profile of the aac.  

I'm not going to do your work for you. With zero facts cited in support, you claimed SDSU couldn't compete in the AAC aside from football and I called BS because without explanation, that's exactly what it was.

And if you actually get off your butt and DO the work, you might include just what you mean by "diverse athletic profile." Is that another snappy roll-off-the-tongue phrase like "P6" created by snake oil salesman Aresco?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesnt take much work, really.

 

 

In last year's Director's Cup ranking, San Diego State would have finished 2nd among AAC schools.

 

 

Of course that only put them 6th among MW schools....

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Tulane is old money.  They have pull in ways no school in the mwc has.  Also, the academics offer a facet the aac covets.  They used to be a big football program.  I like them in the league, bad take on your end.  Also, ECU has more interest in football than any team in the mwc, period.  They’ve been down for sure, but it’ll be good for college fb when they turn it around as they have a large fan base that extends to two states.  ECU is big in the Carolinas, again bigger than anything in the mwc.  Also, they are a baseball powerhouse, I wouldn’t expect you to know that but they constantly host regionals.  

Tulsa was a bad choice, but better geographically than SDSU or Boise, who can’t draw a decent viewership anyway so at least the Olympic sports can travel easier 

Quite true about Too-lame. Nobody in the MWC can stake a claim to having once been a member of the premier athletics conference in the country and eventually falling so far down the football totem pole as to have to beg just to get out of a dying CUSA.

To say that ECU has more interest in football than any school in the MWC is absurd on many levels. One, it clearly doesn't put any more emphasis on that sport than does Boise State. And two, to say that you totally ignore your own criticism of SDSU, specious as it is, that we are good at nothing except football and so would have been a bad fit as a full member of the MWC. The next most important sport is men's basketball and how many conference titles has ECU won in that sport?

On your final point, it's a breath of fresh air to see you acknowledge the AAC has at least one deficiency and I'll go you one step further. Smallish private universities with quality academics are good for conference membership PROVIDED you're a power conference and therefore already earning megabucks in broadcast revenue. However, as I've often said here, when you are a NON-power conference, having such schools as members are so detrimental to the bottom line that you simply can't afford them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tulsa Guy:

1. If you're going to post here, kindly learn how to navigate the software or get out.

2. If you're trying to say your horrible team had anything to do with ESPN choosing to televise Tulsa at Houston on its main network, you are totally clueless.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tulsa Guy said:

 For the record, the Tulsa/Houston game (562K) outdrew the California/Arizona game (406K) and the KSU/Baylor game (317K) telecast the same day.

They werent on the same day, genius.  Tulsa/Houston was the Thursday night game. (The Thursday game the previous week, from that ACC that AAC supposedly holds it own against, was 45% higher.  And the B12 Thursday game the week following was even higher).  And Cal/UA was a Saturday late night (10pm ET) kickoff.  

 

One bit of credit, though.  Tulsa/Houston was the only AAC game that weekend with a measurable rating.  The others were N/A.  So props for that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Tulsa Guy:

1. If you're going to post here, kindly learn how to navigate the software or get out.

2. If you're trying to say your horrible team had anything to do with ESPN choosing to televise Tulsa at Houston on its main network, you are totally clueless.

Don't worry about me.  Worry instead that the MWC Commissioner, Presidents, and ADs read the next TV contract before they sign it.

I described Tulsa football as "woeful" in the post your are responding to.  Obviously, ESPN would have preferred to have two winning teams for a telecast.  But Tulsa/Houston was selected and the TV ratings came out fine.  But that is true for many AAC telecasts and teams.  As AAC Commissioner has stated many times, AAC viewer results have exceeded expectations.  That is what I was saying, even for woeful AAC team like Tulsa.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Quite true about Too-lame. Nobody in the MWC can stake a claim to having once been a member of the premier athletics conference in the country and eventually falling so far down the football totem pole as to have to beg just to get out of a dying CUSA.

To say that ECU has more interest in football than any school in the MWC is absurd on many levels. One, it clearly doesn't put any more emphasis on that sport than does Boise State. And two, to say that you totally ignore your own criticism of SDSU, specious as it is, that we are good at nothing except football and so would have been a bad fit as a full member of the MWC. The next most important sport is men's basketball and how many conference titles has ECU won in that sport?

On your final point, it's a breath of fresh air to see you acknowledge the AAC has at least one deficiency and I'll go you one step further. Smallish private universities with quality academics are good for conference membership PROVIDED you're a power conference and therefore already earning megabucks in broadcast revenue. However, as I've often said here, when you are a NON-power conference, having such schools as members are so detrimental to the bottom line that you simply can't afford them.

wait, didn't we just more than double up our TV money? with little ole Tulane, Tulsa, and SMU? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 1:35 PM, Tulsa Guy said:

Tulane is doing well also.  No doubt their new on-campus stadium is a boost to recruiting. Tulane is turning around their football program.  To compare Tulane to UNLV, SJSU, or a program like NM is not appropriate.

A team you left out is Wichita State, which had its two best basketball recruiting classes in its history in the last two years since joining AAC.  WSU's men's basketball recruiting ranked second to Memphis in ACC for 2018 and third to Memphis and UConn in 2019 in ACC.  UConn ranks #17 in 2019 so the Huskies are turning it around too.  WSU recruiting ranked ahead of every MWC school in 2018 and 2019.

AAC leadership has made good decisions.  Navy is football only and then WSU was added.  AFA basketball will never be a plus for MWC.

In football, Tulsa, Navy, UConn, and ECU certainly are way behind their AAC bretheren and need to step it up, without question.

Tulane, 7-6

Won Cure Bowl beating Louisiana 41-24

Sand Diego State, 7-6

Lost Frisco Bowl to Ohio, 0-27

 

Navy had ONE genuinely bad year, Tulsa and UConn, have had several bad years and TooLame is horrid. There are some very good even excellent programs in the  AAC and they also have superior BB however Tulane, Tulsa and UConn are  not amongst them. Your pimping of the worst of the AAC would be the same as I going on your board and pimping SJSU and UNLV as superior examples of the MWC. Think before you come back and make questionable statements. However feel free to post here at all times as Mug needs the money.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, 1066 said:

Navy had ONE genuinely bad year, Tulsa and UConn, have had several bad years and TooLame is horrid. There are some very good even excellent programs in the  AAC and they also have superior BB however Tulane, Tulsa and UConn are  not amongst them. Your pimping of the worst of the AAC would be the same as I going on your board and pimping SJSU and UNLV as superior examples of the MWC. Think before you come back and make questionable statements. However feel free to post here at all times as Mug needs the money.

You have it bass ackwards.  Tulane, ECU, UConn, and Tulsa were attacked on this board with the conclusion that the AAC cannot be a power conference with such horrendous members.  That was the intent.  The attack on these four schools was in reality an attack directed on AAC.  AAC's success and Commissioner Aresco's coining of the marketing phrase of POW6R continues to drive some folks crazy.  What you call pimping was only a pointing out some of the success of these four woeful schools. 

All conferences have issues.  MWC has compounded its problems with a long history of poor decision making. Above the rest?  Naaaah.  MWC is at least wise enough to drop this futile attempt at branding.

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Tulsa Guy said:

MWC is at least wise enough to drop this futile attempt at branding.

 

Which means the AAC is less than wise, since they continue their futile attempt at branding.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest #1Stunner
1 hour ago, Tulsa Guy said:

You have it bass ackwards.  Tulane, ECU, UConn, and Tulsa were attacked on this board with the conclusion that the AAC cannot be a power conference with such horrendous members.  That was the intent.  The attack on these four schools was in reality an attack directed on AAC.  AAC's success and Commissioner Aresco's coining of the marketing phrase of POW6R continues to drive some folks crazy.  What you call pimping was only a pointing out some of the success of these four woeful schools. 

All conferences have issues.  MWC has compounded its problems with a long history of poor decision making. Above the rest?  Naaaah.  MWC is at least wise enough to drop this futile attempt at branding.

With the AAC TV deal coming in at much less money than was hoped for, what's the feeling with UConn?

Is there a concern that UConn is going to leave and join the AAC?

Which school in CUSA or elsewhere would be the most likely replacement for UConn?

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...