Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bruininthebay

American Athletic and ESPN do not reach agreement during exclusive negotiations for new TV deal

18 minutes ago, Tulsa Guy said:

Picked up the following information which cleared up some confusion for me.  I was under the impression that AAC Commissioner Aresco was not allowed to talk to other TV and Broadcast outlets....since ESPN had an "exclusive" window.  But there were also posts that Aresco had and was talking with other outlets.  This didn't jive with me.  I did not understand what was going on. But then, it just may be me as I understand very little when it comes to TV.

A poster on an AAC board explained the situation.  Aresco was indeed allowed to talk to other TV and Broadcast outlets....but the AAC could not sign a contract with anyone else until ESPN exclusive window was over.  This meant that Aresco had already shopped AAC around all the possible alternative TV and Broadcast outlets before entering into discussions with ESPN.

I surmise this is why the ESPN negotiations and new AAC contract went so quickly and why AAC evidently has gone full in with ESPN.  That the alternative TV and Broadcast outlets did not step up to the plate for AAC may have implications for MWC.

yep, we can talk to whomever we like...but ESPN gets first dibs on signing us.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

37 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

Tulane will always have Memphis, Houston, and Cincy in their corner simply because we're accustomed to being conference mates...Memphis would vote them again today if we had to do all over again.

For what its worth, following the WAC-16 surprise break up, Navy, Tulsa, SMU, and Rice met in Washington, DC to discuss forming a conference.  I think there is a lot of affinity among Navy and the private schools of Tulsa, Tulane, and SMU.  I think this is why, among other reasons, that Navy wanted to be in the West Division of AAC rather than East Division.  I think recruiting Texas, Louisiana, and Oklahoma was also a big factor for Navy.  Navy, already being in the east, could recruit in eastern states and besides, played 3 of the 6 East AAC teams anyway.

Tulsa was also a conference mate with Memphis, Houston, and Cincinnati for many years.

28 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

yep, we can talk to whomever we like...but ESPN gets first dibs on signing us.

Just as important as the TV money is TV exposure.  This is why we must wait for the official announcement...and it is so hard to be patient.

AAC Commissioner Aresco also had the goal of getting one very good bowl for the AAC Champion so the AAC Champ would have a good bowl to go to if left out of the NY6 bowls.  This was supposed to be part of the ESPN negotiations.  I wonder how this came out but I don't think Aresco will be successful on this goal.

56 minutes ago, Tulsa Guy said:

For what its worth, following the WAC-16 surprise break up, Navy, Tulsa, SMU, and Rice met in Washington, DC to discuss forming a conference.  I think there is a lot of affinity among Navy and the private schools of Tulsa, Tulane, and SMU.  I think this is why, among other reasons, that Navy wanted to be in the West Division of AAC rather than East Division.  I think recruiting Texas, Louisiana, and Oklahoma was also a big factor for Navy.  Navy, already being in the east, could recruit in eastern states and besides, played 3 of the 6 East AAC teams anyway.

Tulsa was also a conference mate with Memphis, Houston, and Cincinnati for many years.

In reality, you guys were a Johnny Come Lately and yet another member of the AAC which brings little value to it.

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 hour ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

In reality, you guys were a Johnny Come Lately and yet another member of the AAC which brings little value to it.

All available SDSU and Tulsa data available from Sports Media Watch.

WEEK 1:

SDSU/Stanford:  596K

WEEK 4:

Tulsa/Temple:  728K

WEEK 5:

Tulsa/USF:  1.17M

WEEK 6:

Tulsa/Houston:  562K

SDSU/Boise State:  269K

WEEK 11:

SDSU/UNLV:  415K

AVERAGE SDSU VIEWERSHIP:  427K

AVERAGE TULSA VIEWERSHIP:  820K

when I think of Tulsa I think of Todd Graham taking them to 10 and 11 win seasons along with Tubby and Bill Self taking them to Sweet 16s and an Elite Eight in 94-2000.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

13 hours ago, Tulsa Guy said:

Regarding ECU, the state of North Carolina has 2 million more people that the combined state populations of Colorado, New Mexico, and Wyoming

Stated differently: the state of NC has 2 million more people that don’t give a rat’s ass about ECU than the combined populations of CO, NM and WY.

1 hour ago, 307dude said:

Stated differently: the state of NC has 2 million more people that don’t give a rat’s ass about ECU than the combined populations of CO, NM and WY.

just the Greenville NC metro area is 179,000 people...it's not a small town.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

39 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

just the Greenville NC metro area is 179,000 people...it's not a small town.

lol

Same size as Oceanside. Half the size of Chula Vista

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

1 minute ago, SDSUfan said:

lol

Oxford MS is 20,000...Martin TN is 11,000

those are 'small towns'

I mean, it was essentially did we want USM or ECU...we went with ECU. (they never should have gotten rid of Ruffin McNeill)

mem skyline sig.jpeg

1 minute ago, UofMTigers said:

Oxford MS is 20,000...Martin TN is 11,000

those are 'small towns'

I mean, it was essentially did we want USM or ECU...we went with ECU. (they never should have gotten rid of Ruffin McNeill)

AAC has the advantage of being in the east. That's pretty much it. But as they say, it is what it is.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

42 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

sI wish USM was in Biloxi/Gulfport....we would have taken them in that case.

How would that have benefited the AAC?  USM is only worth $400K in TV money according to ESPN. At least that is the total ESPN and several lesser groups jointly gave the CUSA and USM in the last TV contract. USM in the AAC would be a disaster.

The AAC only has 7 genuinely good to excellent sports schools. They are UCF, USF, Cincinnati, Houston, Memphis, Temple and Navy. Occasionally SMU comes up with an adequate team or UConn comes up with an adequate or good basketball team but that is it. None the less I believe the AAC will get between 7.5 and 9.0 million dollars per year for a 6 year contract. They just have far superior TV numbers. Part of that may be, as someone on this thread mentioned, they have a larger population than the west has, there are other reasons as well and one of them is that the MWC is accustomed to and satisfied with the bully Boise and perhaps more so that we are willing to put up with Hair and our spineless presidents..

Lastly we have SJSU and UNLV and you have Tulane. We lose although you are not much better in the Worst member category. 

However allow me to extend my congrats on your new and much better contract, even though all details are not yet known.

1 hour ago, 1066 said:

How would that have benefited the AAC?  USM is only worth $400K in TV money according to ESPN. At least that is the total ESPN and several lesser groups jointly gave the CUSA and USM in the last TV contract. USM in the AAC would be a disaster.

The AAC only has 7 genuinely good to excellent sports schools. They are UCF, USF, Cincinnati, Houston, Memphis, Temple and Navy. Occasionally SMU comes up with an adequate team or UConn comes up with an adequate or good basketball team but that is it. None the less I believe the AAC will get between 7.5 and 9.0 million dollars per year for a 6 year contract. They just have far superior TV numbers. Part of that may be, as someone on this thread mentioned, they have a larger population than the west has, there are other reasons as well and one of them is that the MWC is accustomed to and satisfied with the bully Boise and perhaps more so that we are willing to put up with Hair and our spineless presidents..

Lastly we have SJSU and UNLV and you have Tulane. We lose although you are not much better in the Worst member category. 

However allow me to extend my congrats on your new and much better contract, even though all details are not yet known.

Tulane is doing well also.  No doubt their new on-campus stadium is a boost to recruiting. Tulane is turning around their football program.  To compare Tulane to UNLV, SJSU, or a program like NM is not appropriate.

A team you left out is Wichita State, which had its two best basketball recruiting classes in its history in the last two years since joining AAC.  WSU's men's basketball recruiting ranked second to Memphis in ACC for 2018 and third to Memphis and UConn in 2019 in ACC.  UConn ranks #17 in 2019 so the Huskies are turning it around too.  WSU recruiting ranked ahead of every MWC school in 2018 and 2019.

AAC leadership has made good decisions.  Navy is football only and then WSU was added.  AFA basketball will never be a plus for MWC.

In football, Tulsa, Navy, UConn, and ECU certainly are way behind their AAC bretheren and need to step it up, without question.

Tulane, 7-6

Won Cure Bowl beating Louisiana 41-24

Sand Diego State, 7-6

Lost Frisco Bowl to Ohio, 0-27

6 minutes ago, Tulsa Guy said:

Tulane is doing well also.  No doubt their new on-campus stadium is a boost to recruiting. Tulane is turning around their football program.  Too compare Tulane to UNLV, SJSU, or a program like NM is not appropriate.

Tulane, 7-6

Sand Diego State, 7-6

they also have a good baseball program. I wish Tulane's basketball program could be more like Davidson or St Mary's.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

17 hours ago, Tulsa Guy said:

All available SDSU and Tulsa data available from Sports Media Watch.

WEEK 1:

SDSU/Stanford:  596K

WEEK 4:

Tulsa/Temple:  728K

WEEK 5:

Tulsa/USF:  1.17M

WEEK 6:

Tulsa/Houston:  562K

SDSU/Boise State:  269K

WEEK 11:

SDSU/UNLV:  415K

AVERAGE SDSU VIEWERSHIP:  427K

AVERAGE TULSA VIEWERSHIP:  820K

Did you get a shitty education at your expensive private school or did you just purposely cherry pick those games?

Stanford at SDSU: It was a Friday night game and those never have numbers equal to Saturday games.

SDSU at UNLV: UNLV is a basketball school and nobody in Sin City gives a rat's butt about Rebels football, even their own alumni. Probably 315K people watched that game to see SDSU whereas 100K watched to see UNLV. Conversely, probably 462K watched your game at Houston to see the Cougars whereas 100K watched to see your school.

SDSU at Boise: Notably, that is the only same-day comparison you make and you totally ignore the fact Tulsa at Houston was televised on ESPN, which everybody and their brother gets, whereas the SDSU-Boise game wasn't even on ESPN2 but rather ESPNU which almost nobody gets.

You, sir, are a total fraud and should relegate yourself to the AAC board where your nonsense might actually fool people.

Boom goes the dynamite.

2 hours ago, Tulsa Guy said:

Tulane is doing well also.  No doubt their new on-campus stadium is a boost to recruiting. Tulane is turning around their football program.  To compare Tulane to UNLV, SJSU, or a program like NM is not appropriate.

A team you left out is Wichita State, which had its two best basketball recruiting classes in its history in the last two years since joining AAC.  WSU's men's basketball recruiting ranked second to Memphis in ACC for 2018 and third to Memphis and UConn in 2019 in ACC.  UConn ranks #17 in 2019 so the Huskies are turning it around too.  WSU recruiting ranked ahead of every MWC school in 2018 and 2019.

AAC leadership has made good decisions.  Navy is football only and then WSU was added.  AFA basketball will never be a plus for MWC.

In football, Tulsa, Navy, UConn, and ECU certainly are way behind their AAC bretheren and need to step it up, without question.

Tulane, 7-6

Sand Diego State, 7-6

Well, hopefully for the AAC those good recruiting classes for Wichita State turn In to wins and they don’t settle in as a middle of the road basketball program in a small market on the outskirts of the AAC’s geographic footprint. 

5 hours ago, SDSUfan said:

AAC has the advantage of being in the east. That's pretty much it. But as they say, it is what it is.

The bigger advantage is Aresco isn’t competing with himself or an independent.  If you took UCF out of the AAC package and negotiated it separately the AAC package would be much less.  

In our case we compete with PAC-12, BYU and Boise for TV dollars.   That competition severely limits our leverage and dollar share.   ESPN can bid on Boise and BYU and throw peanuts at the MWC. Without them ESPN would have to seriously compete for the MWC TV rights or show re-runs in the 7:00 pm slot.    

Let me add BYU plays 3 games against MWC teams.  All 3 are late October/November directly competing against your league conference slate further reducing any need to actually bid on the MWC TV contract.   It’s hard to overstate how stupid Thompson is.    

1 hour ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Well, hopefully for the AAC those good recruiting classes for Wichita State turn In to wins and they don’t settle in as a middle of the road basketball program in a small market on the outskirts of the AAC’s geographic footprint. 

Tulane/ECU are a combined 3-29 in AAC play, so assuming WSU is able to beat them they'll finish 17-13 (10-8 AAC) on a four game win streak heading into the AAC tourney...I really wouldn't want to face them in the opening round.

they have a good looking class coming in and I think they have room to sign one more if the right kid comes along...

https://247sports.com/college/wichita-state/Season/2019-Basketball/Commits/

mem skyline sig.jpeg