Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bruininthebay

American Athletic and ESPN do not reach agreement during exclusive negotiations for new TV deal

11 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

That seems like conjecture.  We'll have to wait until an actual press release is done.  On the AAC board, they claim the new TV deal is for $7M a year, for 4 years.  Here I read it is for $8.5M.

This is all very interesting, since BYU, Boise, and the MWC are also negotiating new TV deals.

If offered full sports membership would you join the aac if you were a decision maker? Why or why not?

14 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

I agree it creates separation betweenthe AAC and CUSA and the Sunbelt.  But I think you are rushing to a conclusion with respect to the MWC.  Who knows what the next MWC TV deal will look like?

Most on here have no faith in Hair Thompson, but the Wyoming fans think he's been an amazing Conference Commissioner and negotiator, and insist that he'll get a great TV deal  So, we'll see....

The mwc is a better fb conference than the other two mentioned for sure, I was speaking from an economics perspective though, and those three are in the same ballpark effectively there( though I said mac not sunbelt myself).  Clearly the aac has more viewers and offers depth in men’s and women’s basketball ans baseball.  It just offers more.  I wasn’t slighting the mwc at all, they just don’t compete at that level.  

Guest #1Stunner
10 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

If offered full sports membership would you join the aac if you were a decision maker? Why or why not?

Full sports membership?

No.  The geography for BYU is too difficult.  Doesn't make sense for BYU to be in a conference with schools in Connecticut, Florida, Pennsylvania, North Carolina and Ohio.  The travel is too far....

Now....that said, I'm all in favor of BYU doing some sort of scheduling agreement with the AAC, if there is mutual interest.  BYU has a lot of fans in Texas, and would also bring a lot of fans to just about any Football game.   I think BYU had 10,000 fans the last time we played at East Carolina, for example....

Might make sense since we are both ESPN properties.

The Olympic sports would be tough to rationalize the move but I think BYU would get more money if they played in aac for the big three sports plus women’s Bball than otherwise.  The aac could argue for higher revenues in 2023 then.  I think they’d want to pick up another western team in addition but it’d be tough because they’d have to be competitive in more than football.  That leaves out boise and maybe SDSU.

49 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

"Conference distributions up to $8.5M".

Is that solely TV money, or is it ESPN TV money AND NCAA tournament credits money.

The NCAA is not ESPN/Disney (yet), so the conference distributions from ESPN is what the article is reporting.  CBS pays the NCAA for March Madness broadcast rights so 'tourney credits' come from a different source to the conference.

38 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

That seems like conjecture.  We'll have to wait until an actual press release is done.  On the AAC board, they claim the new TV deal is for $7M a year, for 4 years.  Here I read it is for $8.5M.

This is all very interesting, since BYU, Boise, and the MWC are also negotiating new TV deals.

Boise is not a separate TV deal.  The Mountain West sells Boise home games as a separate package; Hawaii home games are also a separate package (are Away games separate due to Hawaii's pay per view business?).

These are the documents being supplied to the Memphis Trustees, it is part of a 3 year Athletics plan presentation.

The Athletics presentation starts on pdf page 63. The detailed revenue info is on pdf page 70. There are also details on Memphis Athletics capital spending plans in the presentation.

https://www.memphis.edu/bot/pdfs/march-2019-governance-and-finance-committee-meeting.pdf

The relevant revenue line calls it "Conference Distributions" with a note reading "Includes Media or additional conference revenue distributions".

In the presentation on pdf page 77 there are also a few relevant bullet points:

• American Athletic Conference negotiations are ongoing for Media Rights and impact to Conference Distribution Revenue is currently unknown.
  • Primary 3yr Financial Outlay is based on an estimated $5M in Total Conference Distribution for FY20 and $8.5M for FY21-23
  • Taking into account the additional conference distribution, contractual guarantees for royalties & licensing, game contracts and conservative estimates in student athletic fees and ticket sales, a new AAC Media Rights Distribution could result in reduced Institutional Support needed for Athletics and a Surplus of Revenue to be allocated towards Capital Projects

Color me pleasantly surprised if things pan out as recently reported - though Memphis reports sound like conference distribution and not media rights.  Will bode well for BYU’s negotiations as their upcoming home schedules will be very attractive for media partners.

v0icAvfW.jpg

On 2/27/2019 at 11:56 AM, #1Stunner said:

No.  They are not-for-profit now.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona-education/2018/07/02/grand-canyon-university-regains-its-non-profit-status/747376002/

I looked up their academic rankings a while back.  They are ranked essentially the same as Boise State, 

Yay! Another far-right religious university with a ton of money and academics no better than Boise State!

Let's just call a spade a spade. GCU is today's version of what Oral Roberts was 30-40 years ago. Meaning a conservative university located in a conservative city in a conservative state which managed to gain some national recognition in basketball but which inevitably eventually showed itself to be a flash in the pan not suitable for prime time.

Boom goes the dynamite.

On 2/27/2019 at 12:01 PM, jdgaucho said:

According to College Scorecard Data, GCU has a 31% graduation rate for undergrads. While that comes in under the national average of 60% for all institutions, it’s above the 26% average at for-profit schools across the country.

What a phucking joke! By way of comparison, SDSU's grad rate is 73.3% for a university whose costs are a fraction as much and for which one receives a degree which actually has some status beyond just its own alumni.

Props for the link, amigo.

Boom goes the dynamite.

5 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

to me a big thing is no reduction in exposure. we haven't seen that aspect of the contract yet.

And although few here will admit to it, since exposure is huge, for the MWC to contract with Facebook for anything but bottom tier events would be pure stupidity.

And because our conference has a commissioner who is himself pure stupidity, that's quite likely to happen.

Boom goes the dynamite.

4 hours ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

The Olympic sports would be tough to rationalize the move but I think BYU would get more money if they played in aac for the big three sports plus women’s Bball than otherwise.  The aac could argue for higher revenues in 2023 then.  I think they’d want to pick up another western team in addition but it’d be tough because they’d have to be competitive in more than football.  That leaves out boise and maybe SDSU.

For you to doubt whether SDSU would be competitive in AAC sports other than football shows true ignorance.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Guest #1Stunner
41 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Yay! Another far-right religious university with a ton of money and academics no better than Boise State!

Let's just call a spade a spade. GCU is today's version of what Oral Roberts was 30-40 years ago. Meaning a conservative university located in a conservative city in a conservative state which managed to gain some national recognition in basketball but which inevitably eventually showed itself to be a flash in the pan not suitable for prime time.

Who cares?

It's not like you or I needs to attend school there.

If GCU's academics and graduation rate are essentially the same as Boise, I'm fine with that.  Boise is great for the MWC.

Oral Roberts?  What in Earth does that tiny enrollment Oklahoma school have to do with anything?

I give Jerry Colangelo credit for bringing in solid leadership, including Dan Majerle

Jerry-Colangelo-092117.011_270049_MAIN-3

18 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

For you to doubt whether SDSU would be competitive in AAC sports other than football shows true ignorance.

Goes for Boise as well.  Check out the Directors Cup standings.  i'm so tired of the same narrative that Boise is only a football school.  How many schools in the country had a first round NFL draft pick, first round NBA draft pick, 5 conference championships and 2 individual NCAA championships in the same year?

17 minutes ago, Broncos4Ever said:

Goes for Boise as well.  Check out the Directors Cup standings.  i'm so tired of the same narrative that Boise is only a football school.  How many schools in the country had a first round NFL draft pick, first round NBA draft pick, 5 conference championships and 2 individual NCAA championships in the same year?

Agreed.

Although virtually nobody acknowledges it here, the AAC is clearly a superior conference to the MWC. However, it just as clearly isn't headed toward future power conference status as many of the ignorant jingoists on the AAC board believe it is. Among reasons is the AAC has made a number of stupid decisions just like the MWC, particularly adding Tulane, and adding East Carolina wasn't exactly phi beta kappa either. ECU has never been anything but a football school, nobody outside its general area cares about the school, and the local population doesn't amount to diddly squat. The core of that conference had a chance to add Boise and SDSU for all sports plus 2-4 other MWC schools and create a conference which WOULD have had a shot at power conference status. Instead they added Tulane and ECU, drove away the C7 and hired a commissioner who is almost as lame as King Craig.

Boom goes the dynamite.

6 hours ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

According to article it’s:

2019/20: 5m per

2020/21-3: 8.5 per

6 hours ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

Is that TV money or total conference distribution?  If it’s the latter you need to back out the CFP, bowl game and any other non-TV revenues to get to the new TV contract numbers.

Total Conference Distribution.  So they need to take out the bowls and basketball credits.   Really we just need to see an official statement from Aresco to get the true number.   

I think it'll be around $5 million or so.   

2 hours ago, MWC Tex said:

Total Conference Distribution.  So they need to take out the bowls and basketball credits.   Really we just need to see an official statement from Aresco to get the true number.   

I think it'll be around $5 million or so.   

So very true.  Without an official announcement, everything is speculation.

3 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Agreed.

Although virtually nobody acknowledges it here, the AAC is clearly a superior conference to the MWC. However, it just as clearly isn't headed toward future power conference status as many of the ignorant jingoists on the AAC board believe it is. Among reasons is the AAC has made a number of stupid decisions just like the MWC, particularly adding Tulane, and adding East Carolina wasn't exactly phi beta kappa either. ECU has never been anything but a football school, nobody outside its general area cares about the school, and the local population doesn't amount to diddly squat. The core of that conference had a chance to add Boise and SDSU for all sports plus 2-4 other MWC schools and create a conference which WOULD have had a shot at power conference status. Instead they added Tulane and ECU, drove away the C7 and hired a commissioner who is almost as lame as King Craig.

The AAC did not drive the C7 away.  AAC wanted them to stay.

Boise and SDSU did not add enough in TV revenue to cover travel costs. 

The AAC Presidents hired an experienced ESPN TV executive...very smart move.  MWC hired a former Sun Belt Commissioner.  MWC Commissioner and Presidents didn't even read the TV contract they signed and then were subsequently surprised by having to be forced into playing late night week games.   

Regarding ECU, the state of North Carolina has 2 million more people that the combined state populations of Colorado, New Mexico, and Wyoming.

Regarding Tulane, the state of Louisiana has 2 million more people than the combined populations of New Mexico and Wyoming.

MWC fooled around with Gonzaga and let Wichita State get away to AAC.

So, I think the AAC has made some very good decisions.

Picked up the following information which cleared up some confusion for me.  I was under the impression that AAC Commissioner Aresco was not allowed to talk to other TV and Broadcast outlets....since ESPN had an "exclusive" window.  But there were also posts that Aresco had and was talking with other outlets.  This didn't jive with me.  I did not understand what was going on. But then, it just may be me as I understand very little when it comes to TV.

A poster on an AAC board explained the situation.  Aresco was indeed allowed to talk to other TV and Broadcast outlets....but the AAC could not sign a contract with anyone else until ESPN exclusive window was over.  This meant that Aresco had already shopped AAC around all the possible alternative TV and Broadcast outlets before entering into discussions with ESPN.

I surmise this is why the ESPN negotiations and new AAC contract went so quickly and why AAC evidently has gone full in with ESPN.  That the alternative TV and Broadcast outlets did not step up to the plate for AAC may have implications for MWC.

3 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Agreed.

Tulane will always have Memphis, Houston, and Cincy in their corner simply because we're accustomed to being conference mates...Memphis would vote them again today if we had to do all over again.

mem skyline sig.jpeg