Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bruininthebay

American Athletic and ESPN do not reach agreement during exclusive negotiations for new TV deal

16 minutes ago, pesik said:

1st use-able non speculative numbers, memphis papers filled request for information with the university of memphis

memphis after negiation talks , that arent finished yet (so it could change)..expect to double the current contract to 5 mill to finish out the last year...then a new 3 year contract that averages 7mil per (its is actually escalating, it will be 8.5m by the final year)

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/college/memphis-tigers/basketball/2019/03/02/memphis-aac-distributions-new-media-rights-deal/3036457002/

So the actual documents Memphis Athletics is providing to university trustees are shown only to Memphis Appeal reporters?  I bet there are more interesting details in those documents

1 hour ago, Bruininthebay said:

Memphis estimates  it will receive about $5 million next year from conference distributions but expects that figure to increase to $8.5 million in fiscal years 2021-23, according to documents released ahead of Athletic Director Tom Bowen's presentation to the university's Board of Trustees Wednesday morning.

If the AAC gets an $8 million ESPN tier 1/2 deal without a grant of rights and tier 3 options, this deal would be better than with tier 3 rights on ESPN+ so that key detail is wait and see.

It would also seem  to put the price of any Window 4 content  at a floor of $6 million (average per year).  The current BYU contract is at roughly $6 million and the AAC contract gets up to a $8.5 million number in two or three years.

I'm curious whether BYU can talk to Fox Sports and Comcast/NBC yet because Fox is motivated to spend and NBC already has Notre Dame so the Cougars could improve their chances of actually playing the Fighting Irish regularly.

Given that Hawaii and Boise State both have provisions that their rights are sold separately by the MW already (either as Tier 1/2 depending on how those terms are defined; I'd put Boise's as a Tier 1 package while Hawaii's rights arguably could be called Tier 1 or Tier 2). I'm curious whether other individual MW schools home broadcast rights are added to those which are sold separately.  San Diego State seems pretty obvious because Fox Sports wants to have Southern California football properties; I expect USC's home game rights to be sold in a manner like Boise State's are now in 2024ish to Fox.

Sorry to quote myself - I hope that the Mountain West waits to see whether SJSU meets its Football Ops building goal of completing the $40 million total to break ground by April  2019.   I also hope the Mountain West combines the bowl game talks, especially for the new San Diego and Hawaii stadiums, in negotiations with ESPN.   For example, the quality of opponents in bowl games could be addressed so that more American and Pac 12 opponents face Mountain West schools in bowls rather than CUSA and Sun Belt.

The divisions could both be TV packages without Boise and Hawaii respectively.  AT&T would want the Mountain for its RSN in the front range while Fox sports and whomever owns the RSN Disney is selling which it purchased from Fox (Prime Sports) would want West games if they can't get SDSU games on their own.

Viable bidders for the MW could make ESPN have to make a bid in the range of what the AAC appears to have gotten.

1 hour ago, pesik said:

1st use-able non speculative numbers, memphis papers filled request for information with the university of memphis

memphis after negiation talks , that arent finished yet (so it could change)..expect to double the current contract to 5 mill to finish out the last year...then a new 3 year contract that averages 7mil per (its is actually escalating, it will be 8.5m by the final year)

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/college/memphis-tigers/basketball/2019/03/02/memphis-aac-distributions-new-media-rights-deal/3036457002/

that's WAY better than I thought it would be...I'll take it!

mem skyline sig.jpeg

On 2/26/2019 at 10:46 AM, UofMTigers said:

ESPN decides to pick UCF @ Houston for College Gameday this Sat 3/2...that can't be coincidence. I bet word of our new deal comes out Fri eve or Sat AM to coincide with College Gameday

Press release must have gotten stuck in the fax machine...

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

6 minutes ago, RSF said:

Press release must have gotten stuck in the fax machine...

once the local news found out our President was deeply involved they hit the UofM with a FOIA request....I never said anything about a press release

mem skyline sig.jpeg

1 hour ago, pesik said:

According to article it’s:

2019/20: 5m per

2020/21-3: 8.5 per

27 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

that's WAY better than I thought it would be...I'll take it!

If this is correct then it’s basically what was being rumored, low end of 8-10 per team.  I commend you for setting your expectations low though.  Would have liked to see them finish out the current contract at full value of 8.5 per, but 5 is still an improvement.

1 minute ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

If this is correct then it’s basically what was being rumored, low end of 8-10 per team.  I commend you for setting your expectations low though.  Would have liked to see them finish out the current contract at full value of 8.5 per, but 5 is still an improvement.

to me a big thing is no reduction in exposure. we haven't seen that aspect of the contract yet.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

That’s true, However with espn having prime time content to fill with the acc leaving I see no reason there won’t be additional exposure opportunities.  The aac did themselves a favor by showing that their marquee matchups can  draw big time numbers.  The upper level teams have big out of conference games next year additionally so I expect the narrative will change as it relates to espn and its treatment of the aac.  Now if only ECU and one of Tulane/Tulsa can pick themselves up to historical levels with the extra money and exposure 

21 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Is that TV money or total conference distribution?  If it’s the latter you need to back out the CFP, bowl game and any other non-TV revenues to get to the new TV contract numbers.

6 minutes ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

Is that TV money or total conference distribution?  If it’s the latter you need to back out the CFP, bowl game and any other non-TV revenues to get to the new TV contract numbers.

I’m not sure the source knows exactly what it involves or not.  I actually think the official release will be different than this but you’re correct that this article leaves the door open to speculation about how much of this is real or not. 

The article concludes with summarizing what current payouts are for those things you mentioned.  In theory those numbers would probably go up as well.

Guest #1Stunner
2 hours ago, Bruininthebay said:

March 2 = actual news!  Also, I still have  jet lag after an east coast trip (Uugh)

"The heir" Tom Bowen makes an in person report to Memphis's trustees Wednesday so, per Tennessee law, documents to be discussed are provided in advance to journalists.

Memphis estimates  it will receive about $5 million next year from conference distributions but expects that figure to increase to $8.5 million in fiscal years 2021-23, according to documents released ahead of Athletic Director Tom Bowen's presentation to the university's Board of Trustees Wednesday morning.

If the AAC gets an $8 million ESPN tier 1/2 deal without a grant of rights and tier 3 options, this deal would be better than with tier 3 rights on ESPN+ so that key detail is wait and see.

It would also seem  to put the price of any Window 4 content  at a floor of $6 million (average per year).  The current BYU contract is at roughly $6 million and the AAC contract gets up to a $8.5 million number in two or three years.

I'm curious whether BYU can talk to Fox Sports and Comcast/NBC yet because Fox is motivated to spend and NBC already has Notre Dame so the Cougars could improve their chances of actually playing the Fighting Irish regularly.

Given that Hawaii and Boise State both have provisions that their rights are sold separately by the MW already (either as Tier 1/2 depending on how those terms are defined; I'd put Boise's as a Tier 1 package while Hawaii's rights arguably could be called Tier 1 or Tier 2). I'm curious whether other individual MW schools home broadcast rights are added to those which are sold separately.  San Diego State seems pretty obvious because Fox Sports wants to have Southern California football properties; I expect USC's home game rights to be sold in a manner like Boise State's are now in 2024ish to Fox.

"Conference distributions up to $8.5M".

Is that solely TV money, or is it ESPN TV money AND NCAA tournament credits money.

Guest #1Stunner
30 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

The article says "conference distributions".  Like I said above, is that TV money or a combination if TV money and NCAA tournament credits?

1 minute ago, #1Stunner said:

The article says "conference distributions".  Like I said above, is that TV money or a combination if TV money and NCAA tournament credits?

Like I said above nobody knows yet.  It’s speculation still.

the article spends a lot of space discussing current payouts which doesn’t likely reflect future payouts as it relates to tournament distributions.

Guest #1Stunner
1 minute ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Like I said above nobody knows yet.  It’s speculation still.

the article spends a lot of space discussing current payouts which doesn’t likely reflect future payouts as it relates to tournament distributions.

Thanks for the info.  

5 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

It says conference distribution but staes the original amount was 3 mil... Meaning they mean the TV deal

I go back and forth with how the aac deal affects mwc/mac/conusa. Obviously it creates separation which isn’t ideal in a vacuum but at the same time it establishes upward mobility which is good for all and the opportunity for higher profile out of conference games which will improve exposure and specifically help the mwc get some east coast viewership if they can agree to come east for out of conference games.  I think it’ll help conferences that play the aac long story short.

Guest #1Stunner
4 minutes ago, pesik said:

It says conference distribution but staes the original amount was 3 mil... Meaning they mean the TV deal

That seems like conjecture.  We'll have to wait until an actual press release is done.  On the AAC board, they claim the new TV deal is for $7M a year, for 4 years.  Here I read it is for $8.5M.

This is all very interesting, since BYU, Boise, and the MWC are also negotiating new TV deals.

Guest #1Stunner
10 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

I go back and forth with how the aac deal affects mwc/mac/conusa. Obviously it creates separation which isn’t ideal in a vacuum but at the same time it establishes upward mobility which is good for all and the opportunity for higher profile out of conference games which will improve exposure and specifically help the mwc get some east coast viewership if they can agree to come east for out of conference games.  I think it’ll help conferences that play the aac long story short.

I agree it creates separation betweenthe AAC and CUSA and the Sunbelt.  But I think you are rushing to a conclusion with respect to the MWC.  Who knows what the next MWC TV deal will look like?

Most on here have no faith in Hair Thompson, but the Wyoming fans think he's been an amazing Conference Commissioner and negotiator, and insist that he'll get a great TV deal  So, we'll see....