Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bruininthebay

American Athletic and ESPN do not reach agreement during exclusive negotiations for new TV deal

55 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

It's too bad that you refuse to attend Wyoming football and basketball games anymore, and by your words "won't support" Wyoming anymore (because they scheduled BYU).

Good luck with your boycott.  You are teaching Tom Burman a lesson!!!

Okay, at what point did I state that I wouldn't be a fan of Wyoming Athletics? Reducing my donations and standing down on season tickets is hardly a cancellation of "fandom".

Please show me where I said I would no longer be a fan.

You must make your church proud with your emulation of spin and out-and-out lying.

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

22 hours ago, VandalPride97 said:

As an outsider looking in, it looks like the AAC is eating the MWC's lunch on the reg.  They're more aggressively selling their product and they have better TV markets.  Plus, BSU has passed the G5 crown to UCF, so the privileges will likely follow at some point.  The thing is, I like the MWC much more than the AAC and I'd rather see MWC teams play because I have ties to them so it sucks for me to see this happen as well.  That's just my 2 pesos.

Boise hasn't passed anything on to UCF.  I agree UCF has been the best G5 for two years, but I'm not yet convinced they will sustain that success over 20 years like Boise has.  Every year we hear about "the next Boise State" but to date no team has come close.  Not saying it can't/won't be done but I remain skeptical.

2 minutes ago, Broncos4Ever said:

Boise hasn't passed anything on to UCF.  I agree UCF has been the best G5 for two years, but I'm not yet convinced they will sustain that success over 20 years like Boise has.  Every year we hear about "the next Boise State" but to date no team has come close.  Not saying it can't/won't be done but I remain skeptical.

They're the most attractive program for realignment purposes... 

16 hours ago, HurricaneFan said:

The AAC will end up with a much better deal. Look at the tv ratings, BSU is the only one that really draws and they don't draw that much. The AAC should try to pluck BSU and SDSU(again)  and see what BYU would need to play on Sunday's in the non revenue generating sports. If they don't take it  then grab UNLV and Air Force. It's a double your money move. Plus you can stage the conference title game in thenew Vegas Stadium every year. One you cripple the MWC and get the NY6 bid every year and two you can sell your tv package to whatever network as one that can start at noon eastern and have games in every time slot throughout the day. 

Yep. If it really wants to do so, the AAC could pretty much kill the MWC.

The MWC? It not only has no chance of killing the AAC, by not getting it together to add Gonzaga, it pretty much acknowledged it isn't sufficiently motivated to keep up.

Boom goes the dynamite.

3 hours ago, FresnoFacts said:

I believe the original wording of the Boise contract was:  

So Boise does not own its rights in perpetuity. The TV rights have been given to the MWC. However those games are negotiated and handled separately from the rest of the MWC games.

Translation: Boise will continue to receive a disproportionate amount of Molehill Worst TV money provided that the MW's TV partners favor showing Boise games over those of other MW schools.

Conclusion: There is no apparent reason to think Boise football will decline in quality. However, if Boise football should take an unexpected plunge, the school would be wise to replace the head coach immediately.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Guest #1Stunner
1 hour ago, Wyovanian said:

Okay, at what point did I state that I wouldn't be a fan of Wyoming Athletics? Reducing my donations and standing down on season tickets is hardly a cancellation of "fandom".

Please show me where I said I would no longer be a fan.

You must make your church proud with your emulation of spin and out-and-out lying.

Why have you cancelled your basketball and football tickets?

Why do you refuse to attend Wyoming Cowboys games???

You are dearly missed!  Find it in your heart to start supporting Cowboys athletics again.

Guest #1Stunner
9 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Translation: Boise will continue to receive a disproportionate amount of Molehill Worst TV money provided that the MW's TV partners favor showing Boise games over those of other MW schools.

Conclusion: There is no apparent reason to think Boise football will decline in quality. However, if Boise football should take an unexpected plunge, the school would be wise to replace the head coach immediately.

The next MWC TV deal has the potential to be very good for a couple schools.  If schools like SDSU can retain and sell their own TV rights, they can make more money.  But I'm guessing schools like Wyoming and SJSU would oppose other schools owning their own TV rights.

1 hour ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

The MWC? It not only has no chance of killing the AAC, by not getting it together to add Gonzaga, it pretty much acknowledged it isn't sufficiently motivated to keep up.

The AAC is five years away from losing some or all of the top five members to the Big 12.  Long term the American will need to rely on their affiliation with Navy for respectability.  The lower half of the AAC (Temple, Uconn, East Carolina, SMU, Tulane and Tulsa) have no shot at the Big 12 and are of the same quality as the CUSA/Sun Belt/MAC, so that conference has a shot life span.  It's also geographically dispersed so losing the big names from the conferences may cause the entire conference to dissolve into more regional arrangements.

15 minutes ago, Bruininthebay said:

The AAC is five years away from losing some or all of the top five members to the Big 12.  Long term the American will need to rely on their affiliation with Navy for respectability.  The lower half of the AAC (Temple, Uconn, East Carolina, SMU, Tulane and Tulsa) have no shot at the Big 12 and is of the same quality as the CUSA/Sun Belt/MAC, so that conference has a shot life span.  It's also geographically dispersed so losing the big names from the conferences may cause the entire conference to dissolve into more regional arrangements.

How is this any different than the MWC in terms of possibly losing top members to the Big 12?  Or are you implying the schools in the MWC would never be approached to backfill should the top B12 teams get poached, but the AAC schools will.  I would think Boise (performance) and SDSU (San Diego / Calif) would be candidates at a minimum.  

I didn't mean to imply anything about the MW by discussing which teams in the AAC the Big 12 would want.

Colorado State is within the historic territory of the Big 12 so it's possible that CSU might get invited to the Big 12.  I think that CSU in the Big 12 also increases if BYU is in the Big 12.

SDSU is unlikely but would be more likely if Arizona State decides to join the Big 12 (also unlikely).  The Big 12 would want some kind of travel partner for SDSU and ASU is the best option.

3 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

I only have one comment. Late night home games that start at 8:30 pm suck especially on a week night. We are losing season ticket holders specifically because of late night starts. Our only Saturday 1:00 pm game in years against SDSU sold out. 

The AAC has two positives that work to its advantage.  One, AAC is located in the Eastern and Central Time Zones where the majority of USA population resides.  Two, most AAC teams are located in a warmer climate as football goes into the late Fall season.  Playing Thursday and Friday nights hurts attendance but the attendance loss is not as great compared to a college football team playing in cold weather, especially if the kick off time is pushed back to a later hour.

The ACC Network will debut in 2019 and will telecast two ACC football games each Saturday.  That should open two more Thursday and Friday slots for AAC.  The ACC has been the primary competitor for those Thursday and Friday slots against AAC.  I do not have a clue what AAC TV contract will look like and neither will I speculate on this.  But if AAC does get a boost on TV revenue, my guess is playing those Thursday and Friday games will be a substantial factor.  I think this is why AAC Commissioner Aresco is always talking about ESPN and the Thursday and Friday telecasts as being very important to AAC.

2 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Why have you cancelled your basketball and football tickets?

Why do you refuse to attend Wyoming Cowboys games???

You are dearly missed!  Find it in your heart to start supporting Cowboys athletics again.

Obviously, your inbreeding causes comprehension deficits.

Where did I say I refuse to attend Wyoming games?

1 hour ago, VandalPride97 said:

The Big 12 isn't going to raid the MWC or the AAC.  If they decided to raid anyone, it would be the ACC, which would then backfill from the AAC.  Western schools aren't going anywhere.

The PAC does not offer Texas and Oklahoma any more money than what they are making in B12.  And playing half your games West Coast time is tv oblivion. Texas and Oklahoma fans would find it much more difficult and expensive to travel to away games.  Travel expenses for the Olympic sports would balloon.

The SEC has let it be known that they are satisfied with 14 teams and has no interest in expansion.

The ACC has 14 conference teams plus Notre Dame.  My guess is B12 cannot pull a team out of ACC to join B12 and the reverse may be true.  Would the ACC be interested in adding Oklahoma and Texas?  Who knows?  Maybe Clemson and other ACC teams do not want to tangle with Texas and Oklahoma in order to get into the national playoff.

Texas and Oklahoma joining the B1G?  My guess is that Oklahoma and Texas realize that their best chance in getting into the National Conference Playoff is via the B12 rather than the more substantial competition within the B1G.  Both Texas and Oklahoma earn huge amounts of money.  I don't think the lure of additional revenue is quite the lure for these two schools as it would be for many other colleges.  Oklahoma has participated in the National Playoffs in 3 of the last 4 years.  The lure of the B12 is an easier path to the national playoff.  Obviously, the B12 is not an impediment to reaching the national playoffs.

Finally, the B12 has a nice set of bowls in its own back yard with strong opponents from SEC and PAC which is easy for B12 fans to travel.  Why give this up?  Then there is the other side of the coin.  If PAC added Texas and Oklahoma, that probably means two existing PAC teams become bowl inelgible with 2 more losses.

B12 "expansion" will probably consist of scheduling a P5 nonconference game.  Win the nonconference P5 game and the B12 Championship game and bingo!  You are in the national playoff.

1 hour ago, Bruininthebay said:

I didn't mean to imply anything about the MW by discussing which teams in the AAC the Big 12 would want.

Colorado State is within the historic territory of the Big 12 so it's possible that CSU might get invited to the Big 12.  I think that CSU in the Big 12 also increases if BYU is in the Big 12.

SDSU is unlikely but would be more likely if Arizona State decides to join the Big 12 (also unlikely).  The Big 12 would want some kind of travel partner for SDSU and ASU is the best option.

byu* will never be invited to join a P5 conference. So much for that prediction ...

3 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Gonzaga does not keep the MW up.  Football conference.  Football is first second and third.  Hoops is 4th sorry 

6 hours ago, VandalPride97 said:

TV viewership and attendance along with geographic location make UCF the top prospective add for the B12. Cincinnati, Houston, BYU are all next in line. But that occurs only if Texas leaves the B12. Texas will block any new adds to the league. I would hope SDSU would also have a chance to join the B12 but I detect there is not much interest in San Diego.

3 hours ago, Tulsa Guy said:

The PAC does not offer Texas and Oklahoma any more money than what they are making in B12.  And playing half your games West Coast time is tv oblivion. Texas and Oklahoma fans would find it much more difficult and expensive to travel to away games.  Travel expenses for the Olympic sports would balloon.

The SEC has let it be known that they are satisfied with 14 teams and has no interest in expansion.

The ACC has 14 conference teams plus Notre Dame.  My guess is B12 cannot pull a team out of ACC to join B12 and the reverse may be true.  Would the ACC be interested in adding Oklahoma and Texas?  Who knows?  Maybe Clemson and other ACC teams do not want to tangle with Texas and Oklahoma in order to get into the national playoff.

Texas and Oklahoma joining the B1G?  My guess is that Oklahoma and Texas realize that their best chance in getting into the National Conference Playoff is via the B12 rather than the more substantial competition within the B1G.  Both Texas and Oklahoma earn huge amounts of money.  I don't think the lure of additional revenue is quite the lure for these two schools as it would be for many other colleges.  Oklahoma has participated in the National Playoffs in 3 of the last 4 years.  The lure of the B12 is an easier path to the national playoff.  Obviously, the B12 is not an impediment to reaching the national playoffs.

Finally, the B12 has a nice set of bowls in its own back yard with strong opponents from SEC and PAC which is easy for B12 fans to travel.  Why give this up?  Then there is the other side of the coin.  If PAC added Texas and Oklahoma, that probably means two existing PAC teams become bowl inelgible with 2 more losses.

B12 "expansion" will probably consist of scheduling a P5 nonconference game.  Win the nonconference P5 game and the B12 Championship game and bingo!  You are in the national playoff.

^^^^I concur.

7 hours ago, VandalPride97 said:

Perhaps, mostly due to geography.  However that doesn’t make them the top G5 which was your original assertion. History has shown us that on-field performance has little or nothing to do with conference realignment.  Rutgers comes to mind...