Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bruininthebay

American Athletic and ESPN do not reach agreement during exclusive negotiations for new TV deal

Guest #1Stunner
18 minutes ago, SparkysDad said:

If BYU continues on their lackluster performance path, ESPN will realize that they can insert any west-of-the-Mississippi U.S. D1 team against USC or Tennessee and not have to have a special contract.  At some point, ESPN will realize that the value to their network of a USC vs. BYU matchup = a USC vs. Will Work for Less University pairing.

JMHO, but I don't think BYU is in a strong negotiating position for 2019... 

We'll find out soon enough.   The contract is being negotiated right now.

ESPN having BYU, Boise, and a few PAC12 games gives ESPN a great (cheap---meaning not having to pay an entire conference for its games) way of providing late night games in the Pacific Time Zone.   It is cheaper for ESPN to bid on BYU and Boise games, than to buy the entire MWC.

AND....many P5 programs won't play home-and-home with G5 schools.  They will BYU (BYU brings a lot of fans to their games and sells tickets)

1 hour ago, #1Stunner said:

Hairball Thompson has stated that he is pursuing a deal with Facebook.

Which is akin to the following scenario.

You run a small chocolate chip cookie factory whose contract with a trucking company is about to expire. Although the trucking company with which you have been contracting has advertised your cookies on the sides of its trucks and has guaranteed same-day delivery so the cookies arrive fresh to restaurants, a competitor has offered to deliver your cookies for 10% less but won't place advertisements for your cookies on its trucks nor guarantee same-day delivery.

Most cookie makers would consider accepting the new offer to be pennywise and pound foolish but then it's Thompson and his Mountain West Cookies we're talking about.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Guest #1Stunner
2 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

You run a small chocolate chip cookie factory whose contract with a trucking company is about to expire. Although the trucking company with which you have been contracting has advertised your cookies on the sides of its trucks and has guaranteed same-day delivery so the cookies arrive fresh to restaurants, a competitor has offered to deliver your cookies for 10% less but won't place advertisements for your cookies on its trucks nor guarantee same-day delivery.

Most cookie makers would consider accepting the new offer to be pennywise and pound foolish but then it's Thompson and his Mountain West Cookies we're talking about.

Wyoming, Colorado St., USU, and a few others have stated that they can't sell out their stadiums when kick off is at 8:30  or 9:00 p.m.   Especially in late October / November.

The thought has been (as articulated by Hair), is if ESPN is only going to pay the MWC $2M, it might not be worth it.   Wyoming and a few others have stated that they'd rather have a 12:00 noon Saturday game, with a broadcast on Facebook.   They think they can more easily sell out their stadiums that way, and make up the revenue difference.

We'll see what happens.   But the fact is, if the MWC signs a deal with ESPN, it will only be if the schools accept 9:00 p.m. start times.

Guest #1Stunner
38 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

byu* is the fat chick who hangs out with the hot ones.

And....

Wyoming is the school that gets about 19,000 total fans to its football games, and 3,000 fans to its basketball games, loses its bowl ties to a 6-6 BYU team (no fan support for Wyoming), and would be thrilled to dump ESPN and CBS Sports and have all of its games on Facebook and Stadium.

That's fine.  Different expectations for different programs.

50 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

And....

Wyoming is the school that gets about 19,000 total fans to its football games, and 3,000 fans to its basketball games, loses its bowl ties to a 6-6 BYU team (no fan support for Wyoming), and would be thrilled to dump ESPN and CBS Sports and have all of its games on Facebook and Stadium.

That's fine.  Different expectations for different programs.

When we wake up in the morning, as we sip our double-caffeine coffee with the option of a little Baileys on weekends, as long as we don't have to look at a byu* fan in the mirror, we'll be just fine.

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

1 hour ago, #1Stunner said:

Wyoming, Colorado St., USU, and a few others have stated that they can't sell out their stadiums when kick off is at 8:30  or 9:00 p.m.   Especially in late October / November.

Even Boise State can't sell out with weeknight start times. But at least we get compen$ated for it. 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

Guest #1Stunner
23 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

When we wake up in the morning, as we sip our double-caffeine coffee with the option of a little Baileys on weekends, as long as we don't have to look at a byu* fan in the mirror, we'll be just fine.

Yes.  You're the same guy that claimed you were no longer a Wyoming fan because you were so upset that Wyoming scheduled a home and home football game with BYU.  Said you were going to teach Wyoming a lesson, and stop being a fan.

What school do you cheer for now, anyways?  Maybe Air Force with Bob?

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, RogueStout said:

Even Boise State can't sell out with weeknight start times. But at least we get compen$ated for it. 

I also admit that the blue turf helps.  I'm sure ESPN finds it appealing (gets casual viewers to take notice and watch an ESPN Boise game).

As an outsider looking in, it looks like the AAC is eating the MWC's lunch on the reg.  They're more aggressively selling their product and they have better TV markets.  Plus, BSU has passed the G5 crown to UCF, so the privileges will likely follow at some point.  The thing is, I like the MWC much more than the AAC and I'd rather see MWC teams play because I have ties to them so it sucks for me to see this happen as well.  That's just my 2 pesos.

20 minutes ago, VandalPride97 said:

As an outsider looking in, it looks like the AAC is eating the MWC's lunch on the reg.  They're more aggressively selling their product and they have better TV markets.  Plus, BSU has passed the G5 crown to UCF, so the privileges will likely follow at some point.  The thing is, I like the MWC much more than the AAC and I'd rather see MWC teams play because I have ties to them so it sucks for me to see this happen as well.  That's just my 2 pesos.

I agree with you to a degree.  I mean, let's be honest.  The big (and really only) advantage the AAC has over the MWC is the Eastern Time Zone and the bigger markets/population bases for their schools.  That's it.

3 minutes ago, Cincy said:

I agree with you to a degree.  I mean, let's be honest.  The big (and really only) advantage the AAC has over the MWC is the Eastern Time Zone and the bigger markets/population bases for their schools.  That's it.

That's a pretty big deal, you know.  Plus, they have the top G5 school to pimp out, and Cincy, Houston and Mempho have seen some success lately.  USF and SMU rear up every so often and field good teams.  Hair needs to get off his ass and start hustling.

2 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

As long as the snickerdoodles are soft, no one will complain.  I hear they stay fresher longer in altitude.

3 hours ago, Cincy said:

They have bigger markets, however, that doesn’t equate to more eyes as we full well know with SJSU. Also, the MWC fills a need for late night games viewed across the country competing only with the PAC, while the AAC must compete against the other four major conferences for the same air times. 

The AAC will end up with a much better deal. Look at the tv ratings, BSU is the only one that really draws and they don't draw that much. The AAC should try to pluck BSU and SDSU(again)  and see what BYU would need to play on Sunday's in the non revenue generating sports. If they don't take it  then grab UNLV and Air Force. It's a double your money move. Plus you can stage the conference title game in thenew Vegas Stadium every year. One you cripple the MWC and get the NY6 bid every year and two you can sell your tv package to whatever network as one that can start at noon eastern and have games in every time slot throughout the day. 

The Big 12 is required to provide four Thursday night games and one game on Sunday of Labor Day week end.

Regarding future TV revenue, do not forget FOX has declined broadcasting the Big 12 Conference Championship game....so there is financial pressure on the various broadcast outlets to cut their costs. 

Regarding AAC expansion, AAC Commissioner has stated more than once that the AAC conference needs to stay at 12 teams.

The ACC TV network comes into being in 2019 and will telecast two Saturday games.  That should open up more Thursday and Friday night slots for AAC.  The ACC was the major competitor to AAC for those Thursday and Friday night slots.

11 hours ago, Bruininthebay said:

I'm just saying that public reports about actual negotiations are further along because it's relevant to determine how credible any reports about "a number" are.

The article I linked clearly shows that Aresco isn't throwing around any numbers before negotiations.  

No one but the people at the table know if the AAC is going to get $4 million per member per year or $10 Million.

EDIT - Boise State's rights are sold separately but they are part of the overall MW package.  Boise State isn't holding a separate negotiation.

How ARE BYU's negotiations going?  Those rights are up in 2020 as well- my best guess is Fox Sports takes them over because ESPN doesn't care that much about big ratings in Utah since they get all the Ute games they want.

What will BYU's bowl tie-in's be? A Four year rotation of the New Mexico, Hawaii and Potato with an east coast game against a Sun Belt or CUSA is probably the best case scenario 

The fact that ESPN wants to re-new the same deal means we can probably get a bit more if we play our cards right. We should at least get an adjustment for inflation for goodness sake. 

kat.jpg

18 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Yes.  You're the same guy that claimed you were no longer a Wyoming fan because you were so upset that Wyoming scheduled a home and home football game with BYU.  Said you were going to teach Wyoming a lesson, and stop being a fan.

What school do you cheer for now, anyways?  Maybe Air Force with Bob?

Your disingenuousness is staggering. Cultural thing, I suppose. Learned behavior. Glad I don't have to rationalize everything around a dogmatic hypocrisy...

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

11 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

The fact that ESPN wants to re-new the same deal means we can probably get a bit more if we play our cards right. We should at least get an adjustment for inflation for goodness sake. 

I think there is reason for optimism about the MW rights, even in a world where nearly all media is 'over the top', because the MW appears to be 'playing this hand' better than last time.

Boise State agreeing to give up some of their special rights over the past few years in the interest of MW conference harmony and solidarity is highly commendable and the best sign  I see that the members of the MW will do well in these negotiations.    Boise's deal originated because the Big East/AAC imploded and time was of the essence to get a deal and into the conference at the same time so that particular circumstance is not going to occur this time.  Currently ESPN's deal is just for Boise State home games.  Other MW games are sub-licensed from CBS because ESPN can get a bigger audience than CBS Sports for MW games with a ranked team playing. 

Now there is an opportunity for ESPN to own the package which CBS Sports has (originating from the Mountain West Network in the mid-aughts) owned for nearly a decade and a half.  Boise gained notoriety in the WAC on ESPN, not the MW, which was why ESPN wanted to keep those rights in the first place.  ESPN realizes they can make a different MW team that went undefeated for a couple years in a row as big or bigger than UCF or Boise State.

In proportion, the expensive media rights ESPN buys are multi-billion pro sports league media rights.  A hundred million more for a college football conference is not large to ESPN because they expect to pay fair market value.  My understanding of the reason they cut their high priced studio talent was the fact that ESPN shifted focus to broadcasting live sports because people watch youtube clips for highlights, not SportsCenter, now.  Lots of things are changing about Disney/ESPN's business model since they acquired BAMTech (the underlying technology that powers ESPN +, MLB Network, WWE Network, etc.) but Disney is better positioned than anyone to go over the top of cable networks in the event the cable subscriber bubble bursts.  ESPN can pay the MW an amount in per school distribution that is close to the proportion in viewership and ratings.

Guest #1Stunner
1 hour ago, Wyovanian said:

Your disingenuousness is staggering. Cultural thing, I suppose. Learned behavior. Glad I don't have to rationalize everything around a dogmatic hypocrisy...

OK, but what school do you cheer for now?

You already told everyone on here you are no longer a Wyoming fan, and that you are boycotting Wyoming, because they scheduled BYU.  The power BYU exerts over you, and controls you is a bit surprising, I admit.   I'm sure Wyoming is heartbroken you left....

But regardless, who is your school now?