Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ph90702

ph90702 UNLV Head Coaching Candidates

Guest #1Stunner
8 minutes ago, qwelish said:

Personality is great and all, but have to see if the guy can actually coach and run a program. Nice first year so far, but he inherited Merrill, Porter, Abel and Brito; who have all been in college as long as Craig has been a coach. 

They sprinkle in some youth, but only one true freshman is playing, and thats Queta or whatever his name is. Merrill, Abel, Porter and Brito have all played together for the last 3 seasons.

They are a very experienced team, with legit size and shooters. There really is no shame in losing to that team at all. Especially with a team as raw and lacking in continuity as UNLV. 

But yeah, Craig Smith could fall flat after a few seasons. He's never even been to the tournament. 

Craig Smith has been a head coach for longer than this season.

What is impressive is his conference finishes.

Head coaching record[edit]

Season Team Overall Conference Standing Postseason
Mayville State Comets (Dakota Athletic Conference) (2004–2007)
2004–05 Mayville State 17–14 11–7 3rd[12] NAIA D-II First Round
2005–06 Mayville State 28–6 12–2 1st[13] NAIA D-II Quarterfinals
2006–07 Mayville State 27–9 11–3 1st NAIA D-II Runner-Up
Mayville State: 72–29 (.713) 34–12 (.739)  
South Dakota Coyotes (Summit League) (2014–2018)
2014–15 South Dakota 17–16 9–7 T–4th  
2015–16 South Dakota 14–18 5–11 8th  
2016–17 South Dakota 22–12 12–4 1st NIT First Round
2017–18 South Dakota 26–9 11–3 2nd CBI First Round
South Dakota: 79–55 (.590) 37–25 (.597)  
Utah State Aggies (Mountain West Conference) (2018–present)
2018–19 Utah State 9–3 0–0    
Utah State: 9–3 (.750) 0–0 (–)  
Total: 160–87 (.648)  

N

1 minute ago, #1Stunner said:

Craig Smith has been a head coach for longer than this season.

What is impressing is his conference finishes.

Head coaching record[edit]

Season Team Overall Conference Standing Postseason
Mayville State Comets (Dakota Athletic Conference) (2004–2007)
2004–05 Mayville State 17–14 11–7 3rd[12] NAIA D-II First Round
2005–06 Mayville State 28–6 12–2 1st[13] NAIA D-II Quarterfinals
2006–07 Mayville State 27–9 11–3 1st NAIA D-II Runner-Up
Mayville State: 72–29 (.713) 34–12 (.739)  
South Dakota Coyotes (Summit League) (2014–2018)
2014–15 South Dakota 17–16 9–7 T–4th  
2015–16 South Dakota 14–18 5–11 8th  
2016–17 South Dakota 22–12 12–4 1st NIT First Round
2017–18 South Dakota 26–9 11–3 2nd CBI First Round
South Dakota: 79–55 (.590) 37–25 (.597)  
Utah State Aggies (Mountain West Conference) (2018–present)
2018–19 Utah State 9–3 0–0    
Utah State: 9–3 (.750) 0–0 (–)  
Total: 160–87 (.648)  

N

1st year at USU. And he has not been to the dance. I'd rather have South Dakota's current coach.

13 hours ago, jdgaucho said:

Pasternack will have more options than just UNLV.  Cal's in last place in the Pac 12 and Wyking Jones may not be there much longer. Pasternack spent several years at Cal. It won't surprise anyone if they and other p5's take a look.  Nebraska, anyone?

I'll give you an intriguing potential suitor - Tulane. Like Cal, they are at the bottom of their conference.   Pasternack is from New Orleans and was even a head coach at UNO from 2007 to 2011.  He might like the idea of coming home.

But in the meantime, there aren't many better locations to attempt to build a national power than UC Santa Barbara.

Speaking of the Cornhuskers.....if they do let Tim Miles go, UNLV should make him a prime target.  Knows the league and is a heck of a coach.  No one succeeds in bball at Nebraska.

4 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

True and it's a list that doesn't really make me want to see Menzies cut loose either 

I agree with this take. Menzies results haven't been great, but I do think he can coach (whether he can recruit at a high enough level is another matter). I think UNLV would be wise to give him another year if they believe that a true game-changing hire isn't out there. It wouldn't hurt UNLV to have a little stability after the debacle of the last hiring process, don't you think?

21 minutes ago, Poster17 said:

Speaking of the Cornhuskers.....if they do let Tim Miles go, UNLV should make him a prime target.  Knows the league and is a heck of a coach.  No one succeeds in bball at Nebraska.

This is something I could see. 

1 minute ago, NVGiant said:

I agree with this take. Menzies results haven't been great, but I do think he can coach (whether he can recruit at a high enough level is another matter). I think UNLV would be wise to give him another year if they believe that a true game-changing hire isn't out there. It wouldn't hurt UNLV to have a little stability after the debacle of the last hiring process, don't you think?

I just don't want to see UNLV start a revolving door of coaches - Either get a big time name who will stick and turn the program around in a major way..........or............get a coach and give him the time to see what he can do - Menzies is in his 3rd season, of which the first was a throw away season where he had to literally fill the roster with warm bodies, a situation which was fully and totally the fault of UNLV's incompetent AD when Menzies was hired..............So either get a huge game changer coach, or give Menzies at least another two years to right the ship.

There's no future in just changing coaches for the sake of changing coaches and should any of these unknowns come to UNLV & win, odds are they will bolt for the first big $$ P5 job that comes dangling a carrot 

9 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

This is something I could see. 

Miles would be worth taking a look at - he did OK at nebraska, but the reality of that job is that BB is ALWAYS in the massive shadow of the FB program 

Miles might be able to do some solid work at UNLV 

1 hour ago, UNLV2001 said:

Miles would be worth taking a look at - he did OK at nebraska, but the reality of that job is that BB is ALWAYS in the massive shadow of the FB program 

Miles might be able to do some solid work at UNLV 

Agree. I think he is a really good coach. Nebraska is one of the five or 10 toughest power conference jobs, and like you said, he's done OK. 

18 hours ago, ph90702 said:

Good programs hire guys from mid majors with success.  Great programs hire guys from P5s with success.

What kind of programs hire high school football coaches and mid major basketball coaches who have never won a post season game in their 10+ years of coaching?

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

Just now, Aslowhiteguy said:

What kind of programs hire high school football coaches and mid major basketball coaches who have never won a post season game in their 10+ years of coaching?

desperate.  

16 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

Pasternack will take the first bid from the highest bidder. He’s done nothing at UCSB to dictate terms.

He also has the option to stay, like his two predecessors chose to do... 

5 hours ago, Poster17 said:

Dont see that happening.  Tim took the Nebraska job so that his wife would be closer to family in South Dakota.  

Dont get me wrong - I would love to see Tim back in the MWC.

6 hours ago, qwelish said:

1st year at USU. And he has not been to the dance. I'd rather have South Dakota's current coach.

You probably mean South Dakota State's coach TJ Otzleberger.  Craig is a way better coach than the guy who replaced him at South Dakota.

4 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

I just don't want to see UNLV start a revolving door of coaches - Either get a big time name who will stick and turn the program around in a major way..........or............get a coach and give him the time to see what he can do - Menzies is in his 3rd season, of which the first was a throw away season where he had to literally fill the roster with warm bodies, a situation which was fully and totally the fault of UNLV's incompetent AD when Menzies was hired..............So either get a huge game changer coach, or give Menzies at least another two years to right the ship.

There's no future in just changing coaches for the sake of changing coaches and should any of these unknowns come to UNLV & win, odds are they will bolt for the first big $$ P5 job that comes dangling a carrot 

This right here^^.

We don't need to make a change strictly for the purpose of making a change. We do need to make a qualified proper decision on the next coach. If the right coach with a properly designed contract can't be put together this year then be patient and do it right. Worse case is another year like this year. We can survive another year or maybe two but we won't survive another 5 to 10 years like the last 5 to 10. Get the money, find the right guy and move forward. Then if time runs out on Marv's contract his tenure will stand on its own for any decision made. I don't think Marv is the guy but UNLV administration needs to pull their heads out of their a$$es and do this right.

7 minutes ago, quickdraw said:

This right here^^.

We don't need to make a change strictly for the purpose of making a change. We do need to make a qualified proper decision on the next coach. If the right coach with a properly designed contract can't be put together this year then be patient and do it right. Worse case is another year like this year. We can survive another year or maybe two but we won't survive another 5 to 10 years like the last 5 to 10. Get the money, find the right guy and move forward. Then if time runs out on Marv's contract his tenure will stand on its own for any decision made. I don't think Marv is the guy but UNLV administration needs to pull their heads out of their a$$es and do this right.

Exactly - Don't let the thing drag on for a decade - Give Menzies two more years at least and maybe a 3rd from now should there be an obvious uptick in results..........then if things are looking brighter, extend Menzies for another 4 to 5 years, and if they are still at 2018-19 levels, make a change with a solid contract and buyout and give that guy 5 to 7 years.

By another two or three seasons, everyone will know where Menzies stands without the speculation of "if he was given more time" - I'm not saying Menzies is THE guy, but I'm saying jumping to make a change just for change sake is stupid and only makes UNLV look desperate and also send the message that if you can't win immediately you will catch hell and that could turn off a lot of coaching candidates 

48 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Exactly - Don't let the thing drag on for a decade - Give Menzies two more years at least and maybe a 3rd from now should there be an obvious uptick in results..........then if things are looking brighter, extend Menzies for another 4 to 5 years, and if they are still at 2018-19 levels, make a change with a solid contract and buyout and give that guy 5 to 7 years.

By another two or three seasons, everyone will know where Menzies stands without the speculation of "if he was given more time" - I'm not saying Menzies is THE guy, but I'm saying jumping to make a change just for change sake is stupid and only makes UNLV look desperate and also send the message that if you can't win immediately you will catch hell and that could turn off a lot of coaching candidates 

I'm not saying not to do anything until 2 or 3 years from now to see how Marv does. I'm saying to quietly put together a legitimate search team to look while at the same time putting together a group to lock up serious money without strings other than to benefit UNLV. When those 2 things are done and a proven quality coach is acquired then put together a contract that works for UNLV. For once try to look like intelligent and professional organization. Keep everything behind closed doors and out of the press as much as possible.

Until that can happen Marv still has an opportunity make his case based on results.