GoState99755

A BIG F U to the Gays from the wyo legislature.

3 minutes ago, Boise fan said:

Total population of Idaho is 1,790,000.  It's one of the most conservative states in the Union (imo), with (I believe) the 2nd highest population of Mormons. Very religious, and very intolerant of homosexuality.  So the LBGT community there is small, sure.  But the percentages of those who are experiencing or report experiencing discrimination is significant enough to indicate that a problem exists.  Right now those people have no recourse.  Idaho's state government has repeatedly punted any efforts to add anti-discrimination laws.  It's been left to the municipality level. 

Adding the class at the Federal level makes it a moot point.  I'm sure if other states data on discrimination were listed, you'd see the numbers are significant enough to warrant action.  Or maybe you wouldn't.  Personally I think that one case is abhorrent in this day and age.  You may find the numbers tolerable.  Unless you are one of those being discriminated against.

At least that's how I look at it.

What I see is a gradual, steady change in attitude.  I don't see a crisis here. There is no need for regulation, IMO. 

9 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

What I see is a gradual, steady change in attitude.  I don't see a crisis here. There is no need for regulation, IMO. 

I honestly don't know if the gradual change has been steady with a Trump government.  I only know what is presented.  And your response of "I don't see a crises" falls in line with what that legal brief stated, and I re-posted below:

– Research has linked socioeconomic disparities for LGBT people to a lack of legal protections from discrimination and less supportive social attitudes toward LGBT people.

Putting a protection for LBGT people at the Federal level would resolve the issue completely.  Your response allows for the problem to fester.  And prejudice tends to fester, not abate.

As an aside, I appreciate the dialogue we have shared in this thread.  I think we'll end up agreeing to disagree, but I wanted to state I found the conversation to be very enjoyable!

2 minutes ago, Boise fan said:

I honestly don't know if the gradual change has been steady with a Trump government.  I only know what is presented.  And your response of "I don't see a crises" falls in line with what that legal brief stated, and I re-posted below:

– Research has linked socioeconomic disparities for LGBT people to a lack of legal protections from discrimination and less supportive social attitudes toward LGBT people.

Putting a protection for LBGT people at the Federal level would resolve the issue completely.  Your response allows for the problem to fester.  And prejudice tends to fester, not abate.

IMO, it's better if the govt stays out of a social issue that is getting better on it's own.

Also, I don't believe the feds can change attitudes via regulation. But they sure can make things worse by interfering.

7 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

IMO, it's better if the govt stays out of a social issue that is getting better on it's own.

Also, I don't believe the feds can change attitudes via regulation. But they sure can make things worse by interfering.

I get that - you are a keep government out guy.

Feds have been successful in punishing those who circumvent laws that protect specific classes. It gives recourse for those who are victimized.  And it may have dissuaded many from committing acts they might have done had no protections existed.  Government is a necessary evil. Protecting the citizens is one of the biggest reasons for it.  This falls under that umbrella.

27 minutes ago, Boise fan said:

I get that - you are a keep government out guy.

Feds have been successful in punishing those who circumvent laws that protect specific classes. It gives recourse for those who are victimized.  And it may have dissuaded many from committing acts they might have done had no protections existed.  Government is a necessary evil. Protecting the citizens is one of the biggest reasons for it.  This falls under that umbrella.

When things are trending towards further acceptance, it would be foolish for the feds to get involved. And you can't expect the deeply religious regions of the country to keep pace with the more progressive areas in regards to attitudes towards homosexuality. 

Ahh....I remember the day I chose to be straight. May 13th 1995. I was 13 years old. I woke up that day and looked in the mirror and thought" I have so many choices of who to be attracted to which should I choose? Should I make a choice that will make my harder or should I choose to make my life easier by conforming with most people and being attractive to women." I choose the easy way out but I don't regret it.

Bob do you remember the day you choose to be straight? Lets hear your story.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

When things are trending towards further acceptance, it would be foolish for the feds to get involved. And you can't expect the deeply religious regions of the country to keep pace with the more progressive areas in regards to attitudes towards homosexuality. 

The trend towards acceptance correlates with states/cities passing laws. Now correlation/causation but these laws are signals to people that being gay is fine and discrimination isn't which I believe speeds up acceptance.

Also I don't feel like telling a gay man in Wyoming or Idaho that I know you are having a hard time and feel like you need protection but don't worry society is slowly changing so while things may be hard for you in 50 or 100 years gay men won't be discriminated against so why do we need to put laws on the books now.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

The toxic attitudes that are currently retreating had been reinforced and supported by legislation for centuries, I don't think that it is crazy to enact legislation to start to undo the harm previously caused by it. 

11 minutes ago, tspoke said:

The trend towards acceptance correlates with states/cities passing laws. Now correlation/causation but these laws are signals to people that being gay is fine and discrimination isn't which I believe speeds up acceptance.

Also I don't feel like telling a gay man in Wyoming or Idaho that I know you are having a hard time and feel like you need protection but don't worry society is slowly changing so while things may be hard for you in 50 or 100 years gay men won't be discriminated against so why do we need to put laws on the books now.

That's how I feel too. "Don't worry it is trending towards safety, despite the fact that in most of the world you will face government persecution and that in a lot of the world there's government sponsored pogroms at the easy end and that there is no guarantee that the current climate is going to be tolerant at all, as tolerance for homosexuality waxes and wanes in different centuries regardless of technological progress, things are getting better so accept the pittance we're giving you now and pray that nothing ever derails the fragile cultural moment we're experiencing". 

• Like 1

Do we have to have a law and regulate everything in existence? I would bet half the laws on the books aren’t being enforced yet we continue to add more all the time. Not only that, but people always find ways to circumvent most laws. 

I have nothing against gay people. I’m just sick of the government sticking their nose into everything we say and do. 

4 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Do we have to have a law and regulate everything in existence? I would bet half the laws on the books aren’t being enforced yet we continue to add more all the time. Not only that, but people always find ways to circumvent most laws. 

I have nothing against gay people. I’m just sick of the government sticking their nose into everything we say and do. 

Your alarmist attitude is disingenuous.  Adding LGBT to the protected classes is not an example of "regulat[ing] everything in existence".  Your aversion to adding a necessary and reasonable law is silly.  Nothing motivates a person to seek government relief faster than being denied your rights as a citizen because of another's prejudice or ignorance.

It costs nothing, and it allows victims recourse to redress their grievances. That's quintessentially American.  Why you put your disdain over "regulations" ahead of another's rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness is something you'll have to address within yourself.

If you were being denied housing, a job, or job promotion simply because of ignorance or prejudice, I'd wager you'd want change as well.

The Republican party seriously veered off course when they decided to become this supposed guardian of moral behavior clan. Barry Goldwater's vision for the party is long gone unfortunately. It's time to face reality, the LGBT debate is long over and the more the GOP continues to go down this road of legislating sexual behavior, the more out of touch and irrelevant they will become. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, tspoke said:

I thought she compared sex with her husband to bestiality?

Seriously, Ms. Hutchings is one of a handful of far-right, tea party types that we have in our legislature.  Every state has them. 

On 2/7/2019 at 2:08 PM, soupslam1 said:

In some cases yes. Government stepping in to prevent discrimination in hiring practices is a good thing and a gottdamm American thing. Unless it has some direct bearing on the parameters of a specially designated occupation, say like being an employee of a religious, heritage*, or advocacy organization, employers should not be allowed to base employment on race, national origin, religion, age, gender, or sexual orientation. 

*By this I mean organizations that are to promote and celebrate cultural awareness. 

5 minutes ago, pokebball said:

I thought she compared sex with her husband to bestiality?

Seriously, Ms. Hutchings is one of a handful of far-right, tea party types that we have in our legislature.  Every state has them. 

I mainly made my post to update the thread on the next part of this story. She does suck and I know some of the gop reps that do not hold these views. 

2 minutes ago, tspoke said:

I mainly made my post to update the thread on the next part of this story. She does suck and I know some of the gop reps that do not hold these views. 

This legislation that she was opposing was sponsored by a gop rep.  Kinda interesting.

On 2/7/2019 at 9:52 AM, tspoke said:

Ahh....I remember the day I chose to be straight. May 13th 1995. I was 13 years old. I woke up that day and looked in the mirror and thought" I have so many choices of who to be attracted to which should I choose? Should I make a choice that will make my harder or should I choose to make my life easier by conforming with most people and being attractive to women." I choose the easy way out but I don't regret it.

Bob do you remember the day you choose to be straight? Lets hear your story.

I remember my day as well.  It was June 14, 1958.  I was a baby in my mother's womb, 5 months from conception.

On 2/9/2019 at 9:41 AM, pokebball said:

This legislation that she was opposing was sponsored by a gop rep.  Kinda interesting.

Some additional facts have surfaced.  As a part of a social studies class, these kids were bused from their high school to the legislature.  This senator was specifically asked to meet and visit with these students and they specifically brought up the bill in question and challenged her on it.  The charge doesn't seem to be supported by the transcript.  Manufactured drama perhaps?

On 2/6/2019 at 3:02 PM, Bob said:

Religion is grandfathered in because it's been around since... the beginning of time.

I'm guessing homosexuality has been around longer than religion.

30 minutes ago, GoState99755 said:

I'm guessing homosexuality has been around longer than religion.

Do you think homosexuality was more tolerated by the Neanderthals?