Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV at Boise State

Just got home from the game.  Good game rebels.  That was some incredible shooting from 3. Every time bsu would try to get back in it in the second half the rebels would hit a 3 and squash our hopes.  I have watched a number of rebel games on tv and that was by far your best 3 point shooting I have seen. Granted our defense was always 1 step behind and gave wide open looks.   

51 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

Good game, broncos. I like that Halston kid, i don't know what year he is, but he's a baller.

His name is Derrick Alston. He is a red shirt sophomore and has been a huge breakout player for bsu.  Hardly played last year. He was getting banged around pretty easily inside tonight against unlvs bulk. He needs another 25 plus pounds. 

10 hours ago, ph90702 said:

My guess is he is asked to leave after the season.  I don’t think Sljivancanin will be back either.  I think his career is probably finished.

Djordjie I get. But why would Beck be asked to leave? He's only a soph. Maybe he loves being on the team and cheering for his teammates.

Next years back court is going to be very young. Amauri will be the only player returning who has played much. 

They are losing a ton of maturity and experience with Noah and Clyburn. Replacing them are freshmen or guys who arent playing much this year. 

I wouldnt be shocked to see Jay Green and Louis Bangai push for playing time. 

16 hours ago, qwelish said:

I agree with everything except wanting Leon to get a MWC tournament win. I hope he never wins one, ever. Not a fan of his. 

Boise plays super small at times. UNLV should win this game. If UNLV cant out talent Boise this year, im going to have to evaluate what im thinking about this situation.

If they lose a close one on the road, thats understandable. If they get shell shocked by Boise its a bad sign.

Hate it when I'm right sometimes but Leon's teams are far too predictable and this year far too unathletic.  All UNLV had to do other than make those 3's was work the ball quickly out wide and make the defense try to run and keep up and they can't.  So wide open looks all night as the cement shoe plodders chase ball all night.    

Hey, Leon's budget is second lowest in the league and he over performs based on that alone.  No sense railing on him until he gets a competitive budget and until then it's a bunch of slow 2 star players who can shoot if you leave them wide open.  

The worst of signs point to Boise.  Unfortunately the program is starting to feel like it did in the death throes of  both the Jensen and Graham years.  So we'll have to live with this for another 2-3 years before our caretaker AD makes a move.  God I hope the new president hires his own AD. 

14 minutes ago, roughrider said:

Hate it when I'm right sometimes but Leon's teams are far too predictable and this year far too unathletic.  All UNLV had to do other than make those 3's was work the ball quickly out wide and make the defense try to run and keep up and they can't.  So wide open looks all night as the cement shoe plodders chase ball all night.    

Hey, Leon's budget is second lowest in the league and he over performs based on that alone.  No sense railing on him until he gets a competitive budget and until then it's a bunch of slow 2 star players who can shoot if you leave them wide open.  

The worst of signs point to Boise.  Unfortunately the program is starting to feel like it did in the death throes of  both the Jensen and Graham years.  So we'll have to live with this for another 2-3 years before our caretaker AD makes a move.  God I hope the new president hires his own AD. 

Leons got some good players coming in. They should trend up next year. Not much, but up.

23 minutes ago, roughrider said:

He needs to learn from the football program and start paying for more happy meals. But is he smart enough to not get caught?

UNLV didn’t look like the same team I’ve seen on TV several times. It was obvious they really wanted the game more than Boise State as their bench was really animated. They shot lights out and at critical times. Their point guards made ours look pathetic. We did a good job keeping them off the offensive boards, but their hot shooting was too much to overcome. 

2 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

He needs to learn from the football program and start paying for more happy meals. But is he smart enough to not get caught?

He was smart enough to get a contract that gets an automatic year extension for a measly 18 W's.  So who knows?   But we kick SJSU's ass with about the same budget so we have that going for us. 

27 minutes ago, roughrider said:

He was smart enough to get a contract that gets an automatic year extension for a measly 18 W's.  So who knows?   But we kick SJSU's ass with about the same budget so we have that going for us. 

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c5c963a466f48572e

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c5c96173036375767

8 hours ago, qwelish said:

One thing I am certain of after watching UNLV all this year.

No one on the team or staff knows what a pocket pass is. 

They pass up a ton of easy baskets on side p/r action. 

There are so many opportunities to feed the post as well, if the guards were only looking to deliver the ball right when receive a pass themselves.  So many time I see our bigs have their guy sealed off but the guards just aren't in rhythm with the post guys and it's a missed chance.