Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV at Boise State

DATE: Wednesday, February 6
TIME: 9 p.m. MT / 8 p.m. PT
SITE: Taco Bell Arena (12,644), Boise, Idaho
TV: ESPNU (Roxy Bernstein, Corey Williams)
RADIO: ESPN Radio 1100 AM (Jon Sandler, Robert Smith, sideline reporter: Steve Cofield)
AUDIO: UNLV Gameday App/TuneIn & UNLVRebels.com

Boise State leads the all-time series 9-7

The Runnin’ Rebels are 1-6 all-time in Boise and has lost five in a row at Taco Bell Arena

Boise State has won the last four overall meetings with UNLV

The Broncos are 6-4 at home, 3-6 on the road and 1-2 in neutral-site games this season

Boise State is led in scoring by Justinian Jessup (13.1 ppg), Alex Hobbs (12.0 ppg), Derrick Alston (11.2 ppg) and RJ Williams (10.6 ppg). Williams leads in rebounding (5.3 rpg), while Jessup is also the team’s assist leader (2.6 apg)

The Runnin’ Rebels are led this season in scoring by Clyburn, who is averaging 13.6 ppg. Freshman forward Joel Ntambwe is close behind at 12.9 ppg, while sophomore guard Amari Hardy is third at 12.7 ppg. Juiston averaged 10.8 ppg and 8.8 rpg over eight games played. Sophomore forward Mbacke Diong (6.5 rpg) and Ntambwe (6.1 rpg) lead in rebounding, while Robotham is the Runnin’ Rebel assist leader (4.8 apg), ranking third in the MW. Diong ranks second in the league in blocks (1.8 bpg)

UNLV leads the MW in offensive rebounding (14.8 orpg, 2nd in the country) and is second in rebounds per game (39.9, 22nd in the country), rebound margin (+5.8, 30th in the country), and blocks (4.1 bpg)

Clyburn is averaging season highs in scoring (13.6) and rebounding (5.2)

Robotham is 2-15 from the field in his last two games, including 1-9 from the arc

Hamilton is 2-12 from the field in his last 3 games including 1-7 from the arc

Beck has played 11 minutes in his last two games without taking a shot and has only two FT's 

Woodbury has played 14 minutes over his last two games without taking any shots 

Blair (0-4) Robotham (1-7) Hamilton (0-4) combined for 1-15 against USU

Ntambwe's scoring average is at a season high 12.9 ppg

JTT is 3-5 from the field in 42 minutes of playing time over his last four games

Walk-on Marvin Coleman played a season high 11 minutes at USU

Would love to somehow get excited about this game but I cannot because it's 2 pretenders going at it.   I like both of tonight's games more.  Feel like tomorrow night in Boise is either a snoozer or a blowout one way or the other.  If Boise wins in a blowout then they're shooting light's out and Alston goes off again.   

29 minutes ago, roughrider said:

Would love to somehow get excited about this game but I cannot because it's 2 pretenders going at it.   I like both of tonight's games more.  Feel like tomorrow night in Boise is either a snoozer or a blowout one way or the other.  If Boise wins in a blowout then they're shooting light's out and Alston goes off again.   

Leon swept Marv last year.  MM is 0-3 vs Leon at UNLV.

Boise doesnt seem to have a 1st rounder. USU and Boise are measuring stick games for UNLV this year. This game is the battle for the middle. Tied for 4th. Can Marv get one vs Leon? 

Rebel fans dont seem too optimistic about this game. 

13 minutes ago, qwelish said:

Boise doesnt seem to have a 1st rounder. USU and Boise are measuring stick games for UNLV this year. This game is the battle for the middle. Tied for 4th. Can Marv get one vs Leon? 

Interesting Boise has an all time winning record against UNLV. Do any other MW teams have a winning record against them? 

As far as the 1st round draft pick goes, Derrick Alston has potential. He's a long, athletic swing man with an all around game. He needs some muscle, but he could end up being an NBA guy by the time he's done. 

28 minutes ago, qwelish said:

Think this series goes to the home teams when at home 

12 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

Interesting Boise has an all time winning record against UNLV. Do any other MW teams have a winning record against them? 

As far as the 1st round draft pick goes, Derrick Alston has potential. He's a long, athletic swing man with an all around game. He needs some muscle, but he could end up being an NBA guy by the time he's done. 

Think BSU is the only team in the MWC to have a winning record vs UNLV -  Tho SDSU might be close to or even ahead some 

1 hour ago, qwelish said:

Recency bias.

Not sure what to expect tonight. UNLV wins if they defend the three well. Boise State wins if they keep the Rebels off the offensive boards. It’s a big game for both to see who is most likely to avoid a first day play in game in the MWC tournament. 

Just another team status check. Where are we at this point in time that this game should be  a close contest between two somewhat equally talented teams. BS-U should win and I would expect a spread in the 5pt area. We'll see how that all plays out. 

That is what should happen anyways IMHO.

On 2/5/2019 at 3:43 PM, qwelish said:

Poor Menzies, he walked into a crap storm and wasted a year which hurts the next couple years because of who's still on the roster.  Still, he's out recruited Leon by a mile. 

Last year was a perfect storm for Leon with Hutchison's development and the 2 senior grad transfers walking into starting spots.   Still he's a one and done in the MWC tournament and the only way he isn't this year is if he loses to UNLV and many others to wrap up the season and has to play the first day.   He might win that game. Maybe.   Basically everyone but SJSU and AF (who clowned Leon) is trying to be the 4th best team in the MWC behind Nevada, USU and Fresno.   I've seen every one of those wannabe teams play really good and really bad so it's a fun crap shoot for the rest of the season but honestly I hope it isn't Boise so they can go to the first day and beat SJSU and get Leon an actual MWC tournament win. 

I can understand UNLV fan's dismissive attitude but know that UNLV has more talent and athleticism and just needs to come together for a complete game.  Boise is who Boise is.  No surprises.  You play good against them, you win. 

27 minutes ago, roughrider said:

Poor Menzies, he walked into a crap storm and wasted a year which hurts the next couple years because of who's still on the roster.  Still, he's out recruited Leon by a mile. 

Last year was a perfect storm for Leon with Hutchison's development and the 2 senior grad transfers walking into starting spots.   Still he's a one and done in the MWC tournament and the only way he isn't this year is if he loses to UNLV and many others to wrap up the season and has to play the first day.   He might win that game. Maybe.   Basically everyone but SJSU and AF (who clowned Leon) is trying to be the 4th best team in the MWC behind Nevada, USU and Fresno.   I've seen every one of those wannabe teams play really good and really bad so it's a fun crap shoot for the rest of the season but honestly I hope it isn't Boise so they can go to the first day and beat SJSU and get Leon an actual MWC tournament win. 

I can understand UNLV fan's dismissive attitude but know that UNLV has more talent and athleticism and just needs to come together for a complete game.  Boise is who Boise is.  No surprises.  You play good against them, you win. 

I agree with everything except wanting Leon to get a MWC tournament win. I hope he never wins one, ever. Not a fan of his. 

Boise plays super small at times. UNLV should win this game. If UNLV cant out talent Boise this year, im going to have to evaluate what im thinking about this situation.

If they lose a close one on the road, thats understandable. If they get shell shocked by Boise its a bad sign.

1 hour ago, qwelish said:

I agree with everything except wanting Leon to get a MWC tournament win. I hope he never wins one, ever. Not a fan of his. 

Boise plays super small at times. UNLV should win this game. If UNLV cant out talent Boise this year, im going to have to evaluate what im thinking about this situation.

If they lose a close one on the road, thats understandable. If they get shell shocked by Boise its a bad sign.

My thinking is..........if UNLV could win at New Mexico, they can win at Boise St...........doesn't mean UNLV can't lose big, but this is a game UNLV should be in and keep it reasonably close ( 1 to 6 points) 

On 2/5/2019 at 3:15 PM, UNLV2001 said:

Think BSU is the only team in the MWC to have a winning record vs UNLV -  Tho SDSU might be close to or even ahead some 

the aztecs are the only one that is close, at 34-32 Rebels.

Boise came into the league when the rebels were on their major downslide. they lead 7-9.

Rebs lead UNR 50-22,  the others are at least at a 10-20 game deficit.

3 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

the aztecs are the only one that is close, at 34-32 Rebels.

Boise came into the league when the rebels were on their major downslide. they lead 7-9.

Rebs lead UNR 50-22,  the others are at least at a 10-20 game deficit.

Yeah - SDSU has closed the gap during their Fisher era - UNLV had a decent lead in the SDSU series going back some years.

UNLV had a history with UNM, WYO, CSU, SDSU, AFA back when UNLV was playing a WAC schedule from 1978 to 1982 & of course played USU as part of the Big West - Not much of a history with BSU other than mostly MWC games since they joined 

In fact it was New Mexico that ended UNLV's 72 game home court winning streak  back when the Rebels played at the old convention center rotunda