Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RamSack

Ft Collins Man Attacked by Mountain Lion then Kills it in Self Defense

18 hours ago, Akkula said:

https://stabmag.com/news/graphic-footage-costa-rica-crocodile-attack-victim-tears-jaws-from-face/

Crocs are what you have to worry about at my favorite surf spot. 

Nope.  No thanks.  I’m a firm believer in not going into places where I’m not at the top of the food chain. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

20 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Whenever I hike in the wild or stroll through rough parts of town, I always wear my Josh Allen gear. Haven’t been fukked with yet.

Whenever I wear my Josh Allen gear, I get stalked by other types of Cougars, if you know what I mean.

Outside mag article this morning says the Lion was less than a year old and could have been as light as 20 lbs. Not a kitty you want jumping on you but makes the ability of a fit 30-something to strangle it more understandable. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

On 2/5/2019 at 11:24 AM, pokebball said:

I bet one's got their eyes on you 75% or more of the times you're out.

They have ~200 square mile ranges right? I bet they have eyes on someone when people are out but that is a lot of area to cover. A person is probably not seen, people are always seen.

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

3 minutes ago, Bob said:

If only the hiker had the IQ of Kellen Moore then he could have easily outwitted the animal without taking its life. Sad!

You’re catching on Bob! Proud of you buddy. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

Deets are out:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/14/us/mountain-lion-attack-colorado-runner/index.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=fbCNN&utm_term=link&utm_content=2019-02-15T06%3A01%3A03&fbclid=IwAR3gYai490XCMxPV06KOE7wh_fzy2EhfaT0UBS3jL4YlATlIBQFWKuNM2CE&fbclid=IwAR3D6hDxPaK1bjOPP-nCdD2eNl3n3IoDhriaahi9DkxZE9deCAYoT47dtc0

Last Monday, Travis Kauffman went for a run near Fort Collins, Colorado. Little did he know his workout would include suffocating a mountain lion.

"I feel like I should go buy a bunch of lottery tickets," he said.
Authorities on Thursday identified Kauffman as the runner who won a fight-to-the-death struggle last week after the cat ambushed him along the trail.
Kauffman -- a 31-year-old who moved to Fort Collins about five years ago to live a more active, outdoor lifestyle -- described the nightmarish experience in a February 11 interview with Colorado Parks and Wildlife. A video of that interview was shown to reporters on Thursday, and Kauffman repeated his account at a press conference afterward.
"It was just pure adrenaline," he told reporters. "There was a certain point where I just kind of imagined being stuck on this hillside and eventually just having a cat gnaw at me, which is a creepy way to go. But, for the most part, the adrenaline just kept kicking in at those moments."

Runner: My heart sank into my stomach

Kauffman was running in the Horsetooth Mountain Open Space on February 4 when he heard the rustling of pine needles somewhere behind him.
He typically wouldn't have turned his head to look, assuming the noise belonged to a smaller "woodland creature."
"But in the back of my mind there's always that thought that it could be something else," Kauffman said. "And that something else this time happened to be a mountain lion."
"I just kind of had my heart sink into my stomach a little bit," Kauffman said.
The cat was about 10 feet away, said Kauffman, and he threw up his arms and began yelling in an attempt to scare the animal off.
It didn't work.
The cat pounced, latching its jaws around Kauffman's wrist as he tried to protect his face from the claws scratching at his face and legs.
He tried to throw the cat off of him, but both man and lion tumbled down a slope, and a "wrestling match" ensued, Kauffman said.
He eventually managed to pin down the cat's back legs as he reached for sticks and rocks to strike the mountain lion and force it off of him. All the while his arm was still trapped in the cat's mouth.
"It really clicked after I hit it in the head with a rock and it still didn't release my wrist, that at that point, more drastic measures were necessary," he said.
Kauffman managed to get his foot pressed down on the mountain lion's neck, and held it down until the animal suffocated and let go of his wrist.

He ran three more miles after the attack

Kauffman had to run three miles down the trail, bloodied, injured and warily eyeing his surroundings for more mountain lions.
He eventually ran into another runner who ran down the trail with him, before they ran into another couple near the parking lot. One of them ended up giving him a ride to the hospital while the others went to get his truck.
At the hospital, doctors were able to clean him up and get a first look at the extent of his injuries, including a bloody gash across his left cheek and numerous puncture wounds from the mountain lion's teeth and claws.

Kauffman was given 19 stitches in his cheek, six along the bridge of nose and another three in his wrist, where the animal had latched onto him. He was given antibiotics to prevent infection.
A necropsy revealed the mountain lion was about 4 to 5 months old and weighed between 35 and 40 pounds when alive, according to Colorado Parks and Wildlife. There were multiple causes of death, including blunt trauma and strangulation. The cat tested negative for rabies.
Despite his ordeal, Kauffman said he didn't regret moving to Colorado to pursue a life lived in the outdoors.
"It's definitely a very unique state that you can actually see wildlife," he said. But, he added, "it's usually better at a distance."

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

On 2/7/2019 at 8:46 AM, Old_SD_Dude said:

Outside mag article this morning says the Lion was less than a year old and could have been as light as 20 lbs. Not a kitty you want jumping on you but makes the ability of a fit 30-something to strangle it more understandable. 

A necropsy revealed the mountain lion was about 4 to 5 months old and weighed between 35 and 40 pounds when alive, according to Colorado Parks and Wildlife. There were multiple causes of death, including blunt trauma and strangulation. The cat tested negative for rabies.

11 hours ago, RogueStout said:

That's only twice the size of my house cat. He's a cross between asshole and mountain lion. I think I'd be able to choke him out if it came to a death match. Wouldn't rank for bragging rights tho. 

The dude wasn't Chuck Norris for christsakes.  😊

2 hours ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

That's only twice the size of my house cat. He's a cross between asshole and mountain lion. I think I'd be able to choke him out if it came to a death match. Wouldn't rank for bragging rights tho. 

I’m sure it was more than twice the size of your house cat and a hell of a lot more dangerous.  The thing that makes this different than other cougar attacks is that he killed it without any weapons.  If he just repelled it then it wouldn’t have made national news.  It’s a cool story.

12 hours ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

If your house cat weighs 20 lbs then it is a fat ass. 

A young mtn lion would be pure muscle with a desperation brought on by living on the edge of death every day of its existence.

10 hours ago, RogueStout said:

A young mtn lion would be pure muscle with a desperation brought on by living on the edge of death every day of its existence.

He's fat on top of muscle. No doubt.  Our vet uses a tranq gun to put his ass out before getting his yearly shots. 

Ever heard a lion roar in the wild ? Me neither but next time I break out the carrier for a vet visit ...I'll tape it. It's the scariest damn thing I've ever heard from an animal that lays on your lap. ( until my legs go numb ).

Google maine coon cat. You'll see its his natural size. 

17 hours ago, RogueStout said:

I had a big house cat at one time that weight 22 pounds and he was skinny.  He beat up on all our dogs, they were terrified of him.   When he got old and fat he was over 30 pounds.  

It is not totally uncommon for a starving mountain lion often in its first year of existence to attack humans.   It happened out side of Reno about 30 years ago to some japanese tourists, one of whom destroyed his camera beating it off his wife.   I think it weighed about 80 lbs and they found brush and grass in its stomach.  No one starves with an empty stomach.

15 hours ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

He's fat on top of muscle. No doubt.  Our vet uses a tranq gun to put his ass out before getting his yearly shots. 

Ever heard a lion roar in the wild ? Me neither but next time I break out the carrier for a vet visit ...I'll tape it. It's the scariest damn thing I've ever heard from an animal that lays on your lap. ( until my legs go numb ).

Google maine coon cat. You'll see its his natural size. 

I’ve come up on a juvenile lion caught in a trap up in the mtns. Could hear that sorry bastard for miles. Those things are just no joke in my opinion. I wouldn’t have gone near him for all the big titted blondes in San Diego.

Oh yeah, Maines are huge. I should have not generalized. I had a ragdoll and he was a big fella also.