Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RamSack

Ft Collins Man Attacked by Mountain Lion then Kills it in Self Defense

Just read about this. Pretty +++++ing crazy that dude did not have a weapon on him and still killed a cougar, even if it was immature.

I can only think that he either smashed it over the head with a rock or somehow choked it out. If he did the latter then I sure his arms are about gone from the rear claws.

It will be interesting to hear more details as they come out.

Like you I also spend quite a bit of time up in the Foothills recreating, often alone, and there are definitely cats up there. One ventures into town every couple years and puts a scare into people down by the river. 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

Guest #1Stunner
46 minutes ago, RamSack said:

I go hiking alone frequently and always worry about this shit even though the odds are low...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2019/02/05/mountain-lion-attack-trail-runner-horsetooth-mountain-park-colorado/2775407002/

Wow.   Glad the guy was OK.

I don't think SDSU and BOISE will be as lucky to escape such an attack this fall, though.   

Cougars can be deadly!!!

CosmoCougar.jpg

Poor attack by the cat.  First of all, an attack is extremely rare, even for a big cat.  Secondly, their attack is usually at a paralyzing spot, such as in the neck area.  If they don't get a clean attack, they would normally retreat.  This makes me think the jogger didn't break free, as the article states, but rather immediately got the animal around the neck and suffocated it.

The animal was probably sick or very hungry.  I'm guessing sick because the snowpack in the park is minimal and there are plenty of easy food sources in the area.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

36 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Wow.   Glad the guy was OK.

I don't think SDSU and BOISE will be as lucky to escape such an attack this fall, though.   

Cougars can be deadly!!!

CosmoCougar.jpg

Sorry, but I see the WAC-ass Cougars losing both games.

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, RamSack said:

Sorry, but I see the WAC-ass Cougars losing both games.

BYU started a lot of freshman last year, and made improvements.   So, we'll see...

I don't know much about how good SDSU and Boise are expected to be next year.

1 hour ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Sad, but that's pretty f*cking badass.

Following the embedded links, it was reported to weigh 80 lbs. - about the weight f an Alaskan malamute. I imagine fighting an 80-lb. cat that wants to eat you would present quite the struggle.

Toxic Masculinity is now killing wildlife!  I’m joking, obviously. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

5 hours ago, RamSack said:

I go hiking alone frequently and always worry about this shit even though the odds are low...

I think about it often as well when out on the trails.  Good to be ready for anything, but the odds are incredibly low.

Wolves: 0 fatal attacks on humans in the last 100 years in the lower 48.

Cougars: 11 fatal attacks in last 100 years in the US.

Bears: about 10 per decade in the lower 48, but still a pretty low amount.  

---

Edited to add - snakes are somewhat deadly in the west as well, about the same as bears.  Look out for Rattlers and Copperheads when you step!

8 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

I think about it often as well when out on the trails.  Good to be ready for anything, but the odds are incredibly low.

I bet one's got their eyes on you 75% or more of the times you're out.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

Whenever I hike in the wild or stroll through rough parts of town, I always wear my Josh Allen gear. Haven’t been fukked with yet.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

2 hours ago, pokebball said:

I bet one's got their eyes on you 75% or more of the times you're out.

Absolutely.... While hunting hunting deer in the black hills, I have been trailed many times... but have never seen one.

Edit...pretty spooky when their tracks cross back and forth,  they circle ahead to get to your side view 

My daughter is a rappeller on a Forest Service helitack crew and a few years ago on a fire in the Boise National Forest, she ran into a male cougar.  He was on a rock outcropping and started following her.  She didn't have a chain saw but she did have her Pulaski.   He followed her out until there was a green area and then he ran away.  She's pretty tough but she did say she needed a fresh pair of undies after that......

down in a hole.jpg

5 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

BYU started a lot of freshman last year, and made improvements.   So, we'll see...

I don't know much about how good SDSU and Boise are expected to be next year.

SDSU is going to fix their Offense this offseason and I think we still have plenty to beat you guys.

We will see, but my prediction would be BYU 0-2. I think you guys improve next year though. 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, RogueStout said:

SDSU is going to fix their Offense this offseason and I think we still have plenty to beat you guys.

We will see, but my prediction would be BYU 0-2. I think you guys improve next year though. 

Right now, I'd say you are right.   

10 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Wolves: 0 fatal attacks on humans in the last 100 years in the lower 48.

Cougars: 11 fatal attacks in last 100 years in the US.

Bears: about 10 per decade in the lower 48, but still a pretty low amount.  

---

Edited to add - snakes are somewhat deadly in the west as well, about the same as bears.  Look out for Rattlers and Copperheads when you step!

1-Wolf fatality in AK

Cats have a real lack of wind.

If you catch one in a trap and have to let it go.  Ten feet of parachute cord is all you need.  A noose around its neck and in about 30 seconds they are out cold in a minute they are dead.   It would take more than twice that long on a human or 3 times that long on a dog.

Cats are very vulnerable to being choked out.  Pretty amazing those rear claws didn't rip his guts out though while he was doing it.

11 hours ago, bluerules009 said:

Cats have a real lack of wind.

If you catch one in a trap and have to let it go.  Ten feet of parachute cord is all you need.  A noose around its neck and in about 30 seconds they are out cold in a minute they are dead.   It would take more than twice that long on a human or 3 times that long on a dog.

Cats are very vulnerable to being choked out.  Pretty amazing those rear claws didn't rip his guts out though while he was doing it.

The last article I read said he basically smothered it from behind so the claws were probably stuck to the ground when he put his full body weight on top of it.