Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Fresno State Wrestling knocks off #11 Wyoming

Winning its fourth straight dual and knocking off its highest ranked opponent this season, the Bulldog wrestling team downed No. 11 Wyoming, 21-12 on Sunday afternoon in a Big 12 dual at the Save Mart Center.

In front of 2,032 Red Wave fans, Fresno State (8-6, 4-3 B12) won six of 10 matches over Wyoming (12-4, 3-2 B12), including the final three of the dual, highlighted by a fall from redshirt freshman Jacob Wright at 157 pounds along with five wins by decision.

Fresno State (21) vs. No. 11 Wyoming (12) Results
285:
No. 20/-/-/20 AJ Nevills (FS) dec. No. 21/-/-/24 Brian Andrews (WYO), 4-2 | FS 3, WYO 0
125: No. 19/16/18/- Cole Verner (WYO) dec. Robert Garcia IV (FS), 5-4 | FS 3, WYO 0
133: No. 11/12/11/12 Montorie Bridges (WYO) dec. Gary Joint (FS), 6-2 | WYO 6, FS 3
141: No. 17/13/18/19 Sam Turner (WYO) dec. Sam Turner (FS), 5-2 | WYO 9, FS 3
149: No. 19/18/17/12 Khristian Olivas (FS) dec. Jaron Jensen (WYO), 9-6 | WYO 9, FS 6
157: Jacob Wright (FS) wins by fall over Jed Loveless (WYO), 6:32 | FS 12, WYO 9
165: No. 9/8/9/10 Branson Ashworth (WYO) dec. Isaiah Hokit (FS), 8-3 | FS 12, WYO 12
174: Dominic Kincaid (FS) dec. Anthony Lamardo (WYO), 5-3 | FS 15, WYO 12
184: No. 25/-/-/25 Jackson Hemauer (FS) dec. No. 20/20/-/19 Tate Samuelson (WYO), 5-1 | FS 18, WYO 12
197: No. 13/13/13/14 Josh Hokit (FS) dec. No. 20/20/-/22 Cale Davidson (WYO), 4-2 | FS 21, WYO 12

- Rankings by NCAA Coaches rankings, FloWrestling, InterMat & Trackwrestling
Attendance: 2,032

https://gobulldogs.com/news/2019/2/3/wrestling-dogs-vs-no-11-wyoming.aspx

It was the Dogs fourth straight win, and second over a ranked opponent. 

2 hours ago, retrofade said:

https://gobulldogs.com/news/2019/2/3/wrestling-dogs-vs-no-11-wyoming.aspx

It was the Dogs fourth straight win, and second over a ranked opponent. 

Congrats to Fresno State!  Certainly a big let down for the Pokes on the road.  But Fresno State is vastly underrated and is absolutely a top 25 team in the country.  It is amazing how fast Fresno has built their program in just a few short years.  They will be a powerhouse for years to come as they likely will pick up all of the California talent (their only real competitors are Arizona State and Stanford and Stanford isn't realistic for many athletes).

As a note, the Pokes did have 2 away duals yesterday and also traveled to Cal State Bakersfield where the Pokes prevailed 25-6.  It isn't an excuse for the poor performance against Fresno but the Pokes didn't do themselves any favors in scheduling.

2 hours ago, Swoll Cracker said:

Wrasslin' !

Wow, you are always so insightful as to the sport of wrestling.    I recall multiple threads where you have provided the same brilliant insight!  What's the point?

This is clearly MWC related as it was a dual between two MWC members that happens to fall under the Big 12 banner.

6 minutes ago, OrediggerPoke said:

Congrats to Fresno State!  Certainly a big let down for the Pokes on the road.  But Fresno State is vastly underrated and is absolutely a top 25 team in the country.  It is amazing how fast Fresno has built their program in just a few short years.  They will be a powerhouse for years to come as they likely will pick up all of the California talent (their only real competitors are Arizona State and Stanford and Stanford isn't realistic for many athletes).

As a note, the Pokes did have 2 away duals yesterday and also traveled to Cal State Bakersfield where the Pokes prevailed 25-6.  It isn't an excuse for the poor performance against Fresno but the Pokes didn't do themselves any favors in scheduling.

There's a reason our boosters that worked hard for years to bring the program back... there's a ton of support and a ton of talent in the area. It's exciting to see the program getting back to powerhouse status... Steiner's recruiting has been on point. Also, you've gotta love Josh Hokit... plays a full football season, then cuts weight and is on the verge of moving into the top 10 in the country at 197. 

There are 76 D1 wrestling programs in the country.  That’s essentially the same number that sponsor D1 lacrosse, hockey and rugby teams.  There are only a few less schools that sponsor D1 bowling than wrestling.  Soccer, track/field, swimming, volleyball, softball, baseball and tennis are sponsored at the D1 level much more than wrestling.  

While wrestling holds no interest to me, clearly for Wyoming fans it is a “thing”.  

55 minutes ago, utaggies said:

There are 76 D1 wrestling programs in the country.  That’s essentially the same number that sponsor D1 lacrosse, hockey and rugby teams.  There are only a few less schools that sponsor D1 bowling than wrestling.  Soccer, track/field, swimming, volleyball, softball, baseball and tennis are sponsored at the D1 level much more than wrestling.  

While wrestling holds no interest to me, clearly for Wyoming fans it is a “thing”.  

There will be 80 D1 wrestling programs next year.  A few programs are currently in their 'transition' period and not counted as D1 this year.

Title IX had devastating effects on the amount of D1 programs.  The sports you listed have more programs at the D1 level because they have a 'women's counterpart' or are women only.  Accordingly, because essentially the same amount of wrestlers are competing for less D1 wrestling spots, the quality of wrestlers/teams at the D1 level is typically very strong.

1 hour ago, retrofade said:

There's a reason our boosters that worked hard for years to bring the program back... there's a ton of support and a ton of talent in the area. It's exciting to see the program getting back to powerhouse status... Steiner's recruiting has been on point. Also, you've gotta love Josh Hokit... plays a full football season, then cuts weight and is on the verge of moving into the top 10 in the country at 197. 

The central section in CA is wrestling mecca...FS can conceivably win natties if the tirapelles cooperate and don't push the top kids out of town.

8 minutes ago, Rofl_copter_dos said:

The central section in CA is wrestling mecca...FS can conceivably win natties if the tirapelles cooperate and don't push the top kids out of town.

I remember an article about one of them last year or the year before that basically said they were excited about the wrestling team coming back. There was a focus that if kids are able to continue their careers close to home, then they may end up taking jobs in the area and elevate the level of wrestling in the valley. 

6 minutes ago, retrofade said:

I remember an article about one of them last year or the year before that basically said they were excited about the wrestling team coming back. There was a focus that if kids are able to continue their careers close to home, then they may end up taking jobs in the area and elevate the level of wrestling in the valley. 

as a rule i tend to not trust local coaches w/rt kids staying home.   Tedford has put insane effort into rebuilding bridges and 3* kids still head out of town to trash P5 schools...Cropper is a hell of a get but the way it went down feels like a one-off.  Then again, the landscape for wrestling is markedly different....so who knows.

1 minute ago, Rofl_copter_dos said:

as a rule i tend to not trust local coaches w/rt kids staying home.   Tedford has put insane effort into rebuilding bridges and 3* kids still head out of town to trash P5 schools...Cropper is a hell of a get but the way it went down feels like a one-off.  Then again, the landscape for wrestling is markedly different....so who knows.

I found this when I was looking for the article I mentioned.

Here's that article I was mentioning.

https://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/community/clovis-news/cn-sports/article134732324.html

Hopefully they try and direct kids to the Bulldogs, or at least don't directly steer them away.

46 minutes ago, pokebball said:

Does CSU play football or basketball in the MWC?

Actually YES...Los Rammies were one-of-only-two Mtn West squads to beat the USAFA at home this-yr.  CSU-San Diego, SoNevada & El Juco couldn't do it...yet we did it by +32-pts.

This young, rag-tag, NEW LOOK frmr Aggies, had their 2nd-win-away from Moby this-yr at good time, given that we will be traveling up US-287 (aka:  College Ave in FoCo & 3rd St in Laramie) nxt-Sat.

¡See y'all at the AA, a place I affectionately call the:  70's Way Back Time Machine at HIGH NOON cowgirl!

7 hours ago, retrofade said:

There are just so few D1 programs in the west that resurecting the Fresno State program was a no brainer.  Plenty of talent around to keep in the west.  The second no brainer, despite travel was to join the Big XII and not the PAC.  Good on ya Bulldogs and here's to Cowboy wrestlers kickin yer asses all over the mat come BIG XII tournament time!

6 hours ago, retrofade said:

I found this when I was looking for the article I mentioned.

Here's that article I was mentioning.

https://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/community/clovis-news/cn-sports/article134732324.html

Hopefully they try and direct kids to the Bulldogs, or at least don't directly steer them away.

That's pretty amazing to have that much D1 talent coming from Clovis.  I knew they had a good program but didn't realize they were producing that much D1 talent.

I'm not sure why this wld be considered an upset. CSUf is a ba'aaastion of "wrestling".

It was his first time. With a sheep.

That’s what a Fresno State University student told police early Tuesday after he was caught on top of an ewe with his pants down.

“Am I going to be expelled for this,” the 23-year-old man, only described as a fifth-year computer engineering student, told police. He’s now accused of bestiality, according to a KMPH-TV report.

A spooked student had called Fresno State police after hearing strange noises near the Fresno Sheep Unit.

Officers found the student in the barn, apparently having sex with the defenseless farm animal.

The student claimed he had been wrestling with cattle, according to a police report, but when there was obviously not a cow in sight, he referenced the sheep and admitted, “it was all the same,” KMPH-TV wrote.

The student came to the sheep unit to blow off steam, he said. He was stressed out over tests, had been drinking and wanted to beat the poor sheep.

Veterinarians are now keeping close watch over the assaulted sheep, reported KABC-TV