Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Best 90s Band Tournament Nominations

one hit wonders: black lab - wash it away, stir - one angel, cool 4 august - walk away

alternative:

collective soul, stone temple pilots, pearl jam, nirvana, foo fighters, garbage, our lady peace, smashing pumpkins, weezer, soundgarden, the offspring

pop:

counting crows, dave matthews band, oasis, r.e.m., the cranberries, u2

rock:

metallica, alice in chains, rage against the machine,

r&b/rap:

wu tang

can't categorize:

sublime, nine inch nails (not really rock but who cares)

ashamed i ever listened but loved it at the time:

creed

ashamed i listened at the time but now i love it:

hanson - mmmbop

Guided by Voices, Yo La Tengo, Pavement, Superchunk, Archers of Loaf, Fugazi, Refused 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

how about some electronic music too.

daft punk, moby, depeche mode, bjork

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

Rock: 

Nirvana, Mudhoney, Beck, Pixies (they were mostly late 80s but hugely influential on 90s music), Alice in Chains, Dinosaur Jr., Brian Jonestown Massacre, Pavement, Primus, Pussy Galore, Boss Hog, Silver Jews, Dandy Warhols, Slint, White Stripes, Soundgarden

Rap/Hip-Hop/Electronic:

Fatboy Slim, Tribe Called Quest, Fugees, Wu Tang, Pharcyde, Das EFX

1 hour ago, happycamper said:

how about some electronic music too.

daft punk, moby, depeche mode, bjork

Aphex Twin Is the beginning and the end of 90s electronic music, IMO. 

That being said, I'm shocked at how prescient Daft Punk was in the 90s. Like they may be the musical group from the decade that has the most cultural relevance today, which I would have punched you for suggesting in the 90s. 

Also, Bjork = super underrated. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

4 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

Rock: 

Nirvana, Mudhoney, Beck, Pixies (they were mostly late 80s but hugely influential on 90s music), Alice in Chains, Dinosaur Jr., Brian Jonestown Massacre, Pavement, Primus, Pussy Galore, Boss Hog, Silver Jews, Slint, White Stripes, Soundgarden

Rap/Hip-Hop/Electronic:

Fatboy Slim, Tribe Called Quest, Fugees, Wu Tang, Pharcyde, Das EFX

Wasn't Pussy Galore more the 80s? I actually liked JSBX a LOT even though they were mostly a novelty act. They effing rocked. 

Also, for country rock fans Uncle Tupelo, Whiskeytown and Old 97s should be mentioned.

I get that none or few of the bands I'm throwing out there will be included. But it's all good stuff to go back and revisit.

Let's not forget any of the great shoegaze either - slowdive, My Bloody Valendtine, Jesus and Mary Chain (a lot of that started in the 80s, though, so...)

Actually a couple that should be considered outside of my nerd lists, out of the Brit Pop world...

Oasis, Blur. 

1 hour ago, smltwnrckr said:

Wasn't Pussy Galore more the 80s? I actually liked JSBX a LOT even though they were mostly a novelty act. They effing rocked. 

Yeah. They kind of were. Late 80s and into the very early 90s. But I figured if people were including the Pixies, I'd include them. 

I saw JSBX at the Great American Music Hall once. Sat around and bullshitted once with Jon Spencer too. Amazing talent really. 

1 hour ago, Joe from WY said:

Yeah. They kind of were. Late 80s and into the very early 90s. But I figured if people were including the Pixies, I'd include them. 

I saw JSBX at the Great American Music Hall once. Sat around and bullshitted once with Jon Spencer too. Amazing talent really. 

I saw them at the Colonial Theater in Sacramento in the early 2000s. It was maybe the loudest concert I've ever been to. 

I bet Spencer is an interesting dude. Now I Got Worry is a legit album, IMO.

3 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

Let's not forget any of the great shoegaze either - slowdive, My Bloody Valendtine, Jesus and Mary Chain (a lot of that started in the 80s, though, so...)

So much alternative rock has been pretty much the same old, same old. I don't dislike that stuff so much as it just bores me at this point. However, I still think a number of shoegazer bands were greatly underappreciated. To the groups you mention I'd add the House of Love. during the same time period, I also liked Madchester bands like the Stone Roses however brief their stardom might have been.

Boom goes the dynamite.