Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lobo Amor

Which FBS schools need to drop to FCS?

Schools dont care about butts in seats.  An unused ticket is still sold.  So the 'scanned' attendance is not the measurement they care about.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

40 minutes ago, RSF said:

Given that there's no place in basketball TO move (nobody goes from D1 to D2 in basketball, and there is no D1AA), and basketball is a far less expensive sport to operate, the comparison isnt valid.  And if your (or anybody else's) 'down period' is that down, and being over 20k is considered 'up', then it might be time to ask the question.  

I realize that, but the point was that a program can turn around in a few years and although it's easier to do with bb than fb, it would still be a ridiculous knee-jerk reaction to kill off a fb program based on one year's attendance data when it could easily come roaring back and be in the black and fund all of the other sports. 15,000 to 25,000 might not seem like a huge difference to you, but it is a 66% increase and can make all the difference in operating in the black vs being in the red. 

3 hours ago, Bob said:

There is one glaring omission: Utah State

I love you Bob. Let it go already, we know it kills you to have "the newcomer" arrive and push your beloved school even further down the pecking order. May I suggest that you get nice and comfy staring at the underside of our ball sack because I don't see an end to this teabagging anytime in the near future.

47 minutes ago, Slapdad said:

I realize that, but the point was that a program can turn around in a few years and although it's easier to do with bb than fb, it would still be a ridiculous knee-jerk reaction to kill off a fb program based on one year's attendance data when it could easily come roaring back and be in the black and fund all of the other sports. 15,000 to 25,000 might not seem like a huge difference to you, but it is a 66% increase and can make all the difference in operating in the black vs being in the red. 

Not really - and I've been there.  Nevada's ticket revenue for all sports has hovered around 3-4 million for over a decade.  A decent piece of change, but given that Nevada's subsidy from student fees and school funds itself is in the 10-12 million dollar range getting into the black that way isnt happening.  Ticket revenue these days isnt going to save or kill anybody. 

The old saying is really true in this case - ya gotta spend money to make money.  Whether each school is willing to make that kind of committment, for how long and how much, and with no guarantee of a payoff at the end, is up to them.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

1 hour ago, pokebball said:

I'll respect their efforts to get true BITS counts.

Additionally, when they began selling beer, there is no re-admittance.

Unless of course, you have an extra ticket :thumbsup:

My buddies and I often use extras to head back to the trucks for a little halftime tailgating.

Guest #1Stunner

Been saying for years....

Montana and Wyoming need to be the same conference.    Whether that is the Big Sky or the MWC, doesn't matter.

Montana vs Wyoming would be a top 10 rivalry, nationally, and would be huge in the Intermountain West.   I think both fanbases would get fired up about it, too.

Proposed name for this rivalry:

"The Barroom Brawl"

"The Cowboy Ball, presented by Wrangler Jeans"

"The Wild West Showdown"

"The Skoal Classic"

Guest #1Stunner

Some of the MWC schools have small enrollment, which probably hurts their attendance:

WYOMING - 12,397

USU - 16,184

AFA - 4,276

UNR - 17,930

All of the above are smaller enrollment, but are doing pretty good in fan support.   They just won't ever average more than 25,000 fans per game.

Two cuts.

1. Everybody not P5

2. Then everybody in a P5 that's not either a big-market team or blue/new blood. That means adios Vandy, welcome to FCS with the rest of the non-pro teams based on college campuses. 

That way we can get CFB the way the TV execs want it. FBS ball with roughly 20 teams. 

Good grief that article was a waste of time.  I do like this particular part however :-)

But it may make more immediate sense for San Jose State, a school in a high-cost area without much fan support or success and with the smallest revenues in the Mountain West Conference, to drop down regardless. The Spartans would save money and have a more feasible postseason path. The Mountain West could replace them with NMSU or UTEP, or leave that slot open and pay a little more to each remaining member. Everyone wins.

21 minutes ago, alum93 said:

Good grief that article was a waste of time.  I do like this particular part however :-)

But it may make more immediate sense for San Jose State, a school in a high-cost area without much fan support or success and with the smallest revenues in the Mountain West Conference, to drop down regardless. The Spartans would save money and have a more feasible postseason path. The Mountain West could  leave that slot open and pay a little more to each remaining member. Everyone wins.

That's the best part. FIFY.

2 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Montana and Wyoming need to be the same conference.    Whether that is the Big Sky or the MWC, doesn't matter.

Montana vs Wyoming would be a top 10 rivalry, nationally, and would be huge in the Intermountain West.   I think both fanbases would get fired up about it, too.

"The Barroom Brawl"

"The Wild West Showdown"

"The Skoal Classic"

Meh, if UW was in the northern part of the state maybe.  As it is Laramie is closer to Boise, Logan, Albuquerque, Colorado Springs, and FoCo than Missoula.

6 hours ago, RSF said:

Schools dont care about butts in seats.  An unused ticket is still sold.  So the 'scanned' attendance is not the measurement they care about.

I think these metrics are important when measuring food and alcohol sales, needed security at games, traffic logistics after games, etc.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

4 hours ago, renoskier said:

Unless of course, you have an extra ticket :thumbsup:

My buddies and I often use extras to head back to the trucks for a little halftime tailgating.

But if all we had was one extra ticket, someone would be out at the truck, drinking at halftime, by themselves.  Not me!

4 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

"The Barroom Brawl"

"The Wild West Showdown"

"The Skoal Classic"

Too far away and no recruiting value for either team.

That said, I wouldn't mind playing Montana every 4-5 years.

Guest #1Stunner
2 hours ago, Jimbo_Poke said:

Meh, if UW was in the northern part of the state maybe.  As it is Laramie is closer to Boise, Logan, Albuquerque, Colorado Springs, and FoCo than Missoula.

Proximity is irrelevant.  I'm talking culture.