Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fbpack

Nevada has become the flagship program of the MWC

1 hour ago, toonkee said:

This is pretty much what I think about when you post your own tweets. 

I think that technically it takes two for a circle jerk, so I think the analogy you're looking for is a dog sniffing its own ass.

I guess I could always just re-write the joke word-for-word...  :shrug:

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

3 hours ago, toonkee said:

So you're the flagship because you train coaches for better jobs, where they fail like Mark Fox at Georgia?  lol.

Career progression is certainly something that people look at when applying for any job. 4 of UNLV's 5 coaches have been fired since Tark (and it will be 5/6 after Menzies). 

Employees definitely want to work for an employer that has realistic expectations, and seeing that 5 of the past 6 people preceding you have been fired isn't exactly encouraging. 

Nevada on the other hand has helped two coaches move onto better opportunities, and if Muss leaves that will be a third. Employees want to go somewhere they can have success, UNLV (outside of Kruger who was also close to being fired at points) has not been that place in my lifetime.

1 hour ago, bigd said:

Career progression is certainly something that people look at when applying for any job. 4 of UNLV's 5 coaches have been fired since Tark (and it will be 5/6 after Menzies). 

Employees definitely want to work for an employer that has realistic expectations, and seeing that 5 of the past 6 people preceding you have been fired isn't exactly encouraging. 

Nevada on the other hand has helped two coaches move onto better opportunities, and if Muss leaves that will be a third. Employees want to go somewhere they can have success, UNLV (outside of Kruger who was also close to being fired at points) has not been that place in my lifetime.

This is right up there with bike trails and superior lifestyle.

6 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Where does bragging about coaches we couldn’t hire rank?

I wasn't bragging. What I said was Reno wasn't even capable of getting used by Cronin and that the Reno job was too lateral to leave ALR.

Okay, now I'm really done.

15 minutes ago, toonkee said:

I wasn't bragging. What I said was Reno wasn't even capable of getting used by Cronin and that the Reno job was too lateral to leave ALR.

Yeah, that’s bragging. UNLV has such great stature in college basketball that one dude once used them to get a raise? Strange thing to pimp. And the UALR thing is even stranger, considering how that ended.  I guess when you flail over and over again you gotta take what you can get.

Cool, hows all that working out for you? Its seriously pathetic that UNLV fans are now bragging about getting used by coaches of other schools (from the Sun Belt and AAC). Is this what your program has become?

1 minute ago, bigd said:

Cool, hows all that working out for you? Its seriously pathetic that UNLV fans are now bragging about getting used by coaches of other schools (from the Sun Belt and AAC). Is this what your program has become?

Some of them are in for a rude awakening.  Rick Pitino isn’t walking through those doors.  I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s the next coach of the Lakers.

The Martins thought they were coming to Vegas at first.  That's how flagship you are.

I've grown weary of dealing with TUNRF.

Smell you guys later. 

That's more of a statement of the failures of the public education system rather than a condemnation of the University of Nevada or it's host city. Also, shoo fly.

8 minutes ago, NVBlueNeck said:

That's more of a statement of the failures of the public education system rather than a condemnation of the University of Nevada or it's host city. Also, shoo fly.

Most people on the east coast know very little about the west. I also doubt the Martin twins knew that Oregon is in Eugene, or that ASU is Tempe. 

Vegas is the major city and first thing that people think of when they hear Nevada, no doubt.

5 minutes ago, NVBlueNeck said:

That's more of a statement of the failures of the public education system rather than a condemnation of the University of Nevada or it's host city. 

How is that a failure on public education?  Why would the Martin twins know where your school was until they went for a visit?  I couldn't automatically tell you where some universities are.  Perhaps UNR is actually a better athletic name.  Skip the confusion.

Let me sum this thread up. Jon Rothstein is the only one who called Nevada a flagship of anything, and most Nevada fans showed their discomfort with such a designation. But while Pack fans have not called Nevada a flagship, they have touted the school's basketball accomplishments over the last two decades, which they argue is on-par with the best of the conference. And somehow Nevada’s on-the-floor record is less an indicator of overall strength than UNLV's uncanny ability to ALMOST hire good coaches. 

Sound about right to everybody?