Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fbpack

Nevada has become the flagship program of the MWC

16 minutes ago, toonkee said:

You are a legit crackhead. 

Speaking of crack, who has picked Vegas? Beard right before he left for Lubbick? You make Vegas out to be a coaching hotbed. It’s a place that coaches go to die or house their skeletons. 

12 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

Speaking of crack, who has picked Vegas? Beard right before he left for Lubbick? You make Vegas out to be a coaching hotbed. It’s a place that coaches go to die or house their skeletons. 

Yes, UNLV fell flat on it's face last round of hiring.  NO doubt...but Chris Beard wouldn't have left Arkansas Little Rock to take the job at Reno.

Mick Cronin could not have used Reno as leverage.  They would have laughed him out of Cinci.

You guys are literally becoming insane right now. You have a great coach and a great team that's having great success but that does not mean the Reno job ranks higher than much else. Average arena, average facilities, possibly below average support from the university historically speaking.  It's an average D-1 job that's doing great but it's still an average job.  UNLV was going to pay Cronin 3 mill! Get the money together to pay Muss like that, build him an arena, get him a top basketball only practice facility an then we can talk.  

7 hours ago, TheTedfordTrain said:

SJSU and Fresno were tied in the regional university rankings about 4-5 years ago. Fresno has since moved on to the more prestigious National University category. They’ve made huge gains every year since- pretty much in all rankings.  SJSU has remained stagnant. It’s kind of their thing  

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/top-public

I think that it's cute, you think not even being one of the top 200 colleges in the country is a notable achievement. The difference between the Cal State Schools is negligible. Great place to get an affordable degree, learn some stuff and go out and get a job. Not a great place to go for people who are into tracking the already flawed US News rankings. But hey, maybe you guys will leap frog Azusa Pacific next year!

Lulz.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

2 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

I think that it's cute, you think not even being one of the top 200 colleges in the country is a notable achievement. The difference between the Cal State Schools is negligible. Great place to get an affordable degree, learn some stuff and go out and get a job. Not a great place to go for people who are into tracking the already flawed US News rankings. But hey, maybe you guys will leap frog Azusa Pacific next year!

Lulz.

This is the kind of mentality that has left SJSU behind both academically and athletically. “We’re in the MWC, we’re pretty much all the same”. Okay, sure buddy. 

Fresno_State_Jim_Sweeny_Field_(_Bulldog_Stadium).jpg

10 hours ago, madmartigan said:

@VandalPride97 is the official designator of flagship status. Please opine here. 

Indeed. "Nevada" refers to the University of Nevada, located in Reno.  It is the Nevada flagship and the MWC flagship.  Issue resolved.

25 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

This wouldn’t be a legit Nevada basketball thread if UNLV fan wasn’t on it bragging about all the great coaches they almost hired.

You can add Rick Pitino to that list in April.  Just call it round two.

6 hours ago, TheTedfordTrain said:

This is the kind of mentality that has left SJSU behind both academically and athletically. “We’re in the MWC, we’re pretty much all the same”. Okay, sure buddy. 

A second look at your funny list makes the fact that you posted it as some kind of indicator of Fresno's academic success even cuter. That you think it's any indication that CSUF has left anyone behind academically shows how little you know about your own school or about college rankings. Sniffing the top 200? More like arguably out of the top 500.

I encouraged my niece a couple years ago to pick one of the CSUs she got into, which included Fresno State, instead of USF or USD because I don't think the quality of undergraduate education is any different from a mid-level CSU like Fresno State and any of the dozens of more prestigious schools in this state. I encouraged her not to look at all the lists that made her not want to go there, because they are flawed, and I explained that those schools are fine educational institutions. Congrats. You may have finally changed my mind on something.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

24 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

A second look at your funny list makes the fact that you posted it as some kind of indicator of Fresno's academic success even cuter. That you think it's any indication that CSUF has left anyone behind academically shows how little you know about your own school or about college rankings. Sniffing the top 200? More like arguably out of the top 500.

I encouraged my niece a couple years ago to pick one of the CSUs she got into, which included Fresno State, instead of USF or USD because I don't think the quality of undergraduate education is any different from a mid-level CSU like Fresno State and any of the dozens of more prestigious schools in this state. I encouraged her not to look at all the lists that made her not want to go there, because they are flawed, and I explained that those schools are fine educational institutions. Congrats. You may have finally changed my mind on something.

Care to explain “flawed”? I’m sure they include their flaws as pretty much every ranking system does.  Having said that, thousands of incoming freshmen still use them to pick a university. Looking at all these rankings from several different sources, one can say Fresno State is leaving many universities behind, not just SJSU

Fresno_State_Jim_Sweeny_Field_(_Bulldog_Stadium).jpg

19 hours ago, sandiegopete said:

UNR is the best team in Nevada.  For now.  Let's see what the future brings. 

Cal State San Diego fan checking in.

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

1 hour ago, TheTedfordTrain said:

Care to explain “flawed”? I’m sure they include their flaws as pretty much every ranking system does.  Having said that, thousands of incoming freshmen still use them to pick a university. Looking at all these rankings from several different sources, one can say Fresno State is leaving many universities behind, not just SJSU

I could write a book about why college rankings are flawed. Many people have. Instead of spending the time going over the reasons, I will just encourage you to Google "why college rankings are flawed" and click on a few articles in the first couple pages. The short version is that different colleges and universities do different things and have different mandates, they often focus on different specialized areas department by department, and students go to college for such wildly disparate reasons that any sort of ranking system is immediately limited by the metrics used to rank. At the same time, academic culture is pretty unified across the spectrum and if you get a degree in English at Cal State East Bay you will read the same stuff and have the same conversations as people who got the same degree at Berkeley or at Princeton. Trying to rank universities is not even comparing apples to oranges, it's comparing apples to apples which is ironically harder. The definition of what makes a good apple is entirely based on what you plan to use it for (pies, slices, cider, etc.). Your best bet would be to identify similar types of universities that fit into clear categories and rank them among their peers. Or to rank specific departments. And even those would be flawed because when you narrow down to a clear typology, you really begin to split hairs. Are you really going to explain to me whether Cornell or Penn are better, or whether Santa Clara or Saint Mary's is better, or whether Chapman is better than UOP? No, because for all intents and purposes, they are functionally the same.

However, since you are so interested in validating and discussing college ranking systems, let's look at your example. US News is probably the most read (and most criticized) college ranking system, and they use I believe proprietary metrics to distinguish schools. One of the things that's interesting about the system that they use is they do try to mitigate for the flaws that have been identified by creating their own typology - National Universities, National Liberal Arts Colleges, Regional Universities, Regional Colleges - and comparing within those categories. Now, you suggest that being in the National Universities category makes a school more prestigious than a school in the other categories. There may be some truth to that, insofar as a school with enough prestige (Harvard) will naturally be a national university. Though it also indicates that they distinguish based on some metrics like research and doctorates. At any rate, that "prestige" begins to really break down when you get to the back of the list (in the 200s, where Fresno State sits) and begin to compare to schools on the "Regional Universities" list. Using your logic, this list suggests that Fresno is a more prestigious academic school than Santa Clara, Loyola Marymount, Mills, Cal Poly Slo. That's just not true by any metric, as flawed as those metrics may be. So there's a point on this list where the last of the "National" schools would begin to overlap with the "Regional" schools if you turned it into a single, comprehensive list. Where is that point? Who the eff knows? 

But let's see if there's another major, national and credible source of annual college rankings that puts the schools in a comprehensive list...

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/rankings/united-states/2019#!/page/1/length/25/sort_by/rank/sort_order/asc/cols/stats

New York Times/Wall Street Journal annual list puts Fresno State about where you'd expect them - squeaking into the top 50 schools in the state of California (good job by you!), nestled into the prestigious 500-600 ranking nationally, right about smack dab in the middle of the CSU system behind the UCs, the major privates and the Catholics, and behind the higher-tier State schools identified as Cal Poly Slo (212), SDSU (324), Long Beach (431), Cal Poly Pomona (434), SJSU (440) and Chico State (447). A ton of schools trying to catch y'all on this one.

Princeton Review included Fresno State's business school in its list of best on-campus MBA programs in 2018. I don't see any other mentions lately. Lot of qualifiers for the MBA, but that is a pretty cool distinction. I'm not sure which others were on the list, and I don't feel like effing with the Princeton Review website or walking a couple hundred yards to grab a hard copy of their annual report. It's not surprising though, since because of the mandates your best bet for getting a business degree at a public school in CA is to go to a Cal State school. Same is true for journalism - if you want a degree in it, go to a CSU where they have pumped out way more quality journalists than the dopey grad school at Berkeley which claims to be prestigious or the even worse one at Stanford. When I was in the biz, SJSU specifically had a reputation for pumping out badass reporters which makes sense because the Mercury has consistently been a top-3 paper in the state for like 100 years. 

I get that you have a hard on for making SJSU students and grads feel bad for going to and liking their school, and you like to convince yourself or others on the internet that Fresno State is somehow categorically superior specifically to SJSU, which is weird man - it's weird. But the objective, unquestionable reality is that they're the same school in two different locales, and outside of a few football fans west of the Rockies, no one knows the difference or cares to learn. Rankings are stupid. Be proud of your school, and don't be a dick to other people who went to a school that's just as good.

13 hours ago, toonkee said:

Yes, UNLV fell flat on it's face last round of hiring.  NO doubt...but Chris Beard wouldn't have left Arkansas Little Rock to take the job at Reno.

Mick Cronin could not have used Reno as leverage.  They would have laughed him out of Cinci.

You guys are literally becoming insane right now. You have a great coach and a great team that's having great success but that does not mean the Reno job ranks higher than much else. Average arena, average facilities, possibly below average support from the university historically speaking.  It's an average D-1 job that's doing great but it's still an average job.  UNLV was going to pay Cronin 3 mill! Get the money together to pay Muss like that, build him an arena, get him a top basketball only practice facility an then we can talk.  

You don’t know that. He was clearly looking to get out of ALR because he accepted the dumpster fire that is Vegas basketball. 

Lets talk facts because you offer few if any. Two of the last three Nevada coaches moved UP the ladder when they left Reno. And a third is in position to hand pick his next gig. Vegas is a coach killer. Menzies has one foot in the grave. Nevada won at least 1 game in the ncaa tournament with those coaches. Nevada has a nice basketball only facility. It has the highest paid coach in the conference. All facts.

The smoke that flows from Vegas fans’ mouth is amusing though. Note to Toonkee. Tark is not only gone but he died of old age! Vegas is a hockey town, and soon Nevada Southern sports will be on page 3 of the sports page. The 1000lb gorilla isn’t even there yet. Those are facts.

2 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

You don’t know that. He was clearly looking to get out of ALR because he accepted the dumpster fire that is Vegas basketball. 

Lets talk facts because you offer few if any. Two of the last three Nevada coaches moved UP the ladder when they left Reno. And a third is in position to hand pick his next gig. Vegas is a coach killer. Menzies has one foot in the grave. Nevada won at least 1 game in the ncaa tournament with those coaches. Nevada has a nice basketball only facility. It has the highest paid coach in the conference. All facts.

The smoke that flows from Vegas fans’ mouth is amusing though. Note to Toonkee. Tark is not only gone but he died of old age! Vegas is a hockey town, and soon Nevada Southern sports will be on page 3 of the sports page. The 1000lb gorilla isn’t even there yet. Those are facts.

So you're the flagship because you train coaches for better jobs, where they fail like Mark Fox at Georgia?  lol.

15 hours ago, toonkee said:

Another delusional vegas fan in denial.  

Wake up dude.  This isn't the 80's and your team has sucked for the better part of 30 years.  There is no reason to believe that trend won't continue. You can't get good players to come to vegas because good players want to win.   

No better than average coach will give vegas a sniff.  It's why you had to hire a high school coach for FB and a BB coach who has never won a single post season game and couldn't get out of Las Cruses no matter how hard he tried, right up until vegas gave him a lifeline.  No matter how hard you tried, you just couldn't do better than Marvin Menzies. 

With the pro teams moving into vegas you will even less relevant than you already are.   Vegas is a hockey town now.  Not even the high school kids wear rebel gear anymore. You've got the Raiders are on their way and you might get an NBA and/or a MLB team.   The fan support you have this year is about what you'll see in future years. It may even decline even further. You are becoming the next SJSU minus the academics. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

48 minutes ago, toonkee said:

So you're the flagship because you train coaches for better jobs, where they fail like Mark Fox at Georgia?  lol.

See. Even Mark Fox can win at Nevada. :rock: