Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fbpack

Nevada has become the flagship program of the MWC

1 hour ago, GoState99755 said:

s

I'm calling BS on the term "Flagship" being used on a specific sport.  Especially when it's the #2-sport in the conf.  It goes against the definition of the word.  ¿Where does it stop?  ¿CSU's is the "Flagship" of MWC rebounding? 

When you misuse words, they lose there meaning, power &/or intensity.  Look at "literally" -or- "ironic."

We didn't misuse any words smart guy. You are no authority on which sports can be included in the status moniker of flagship. Different sports have different schools that are the class and bellwether of the conference. With football BSU is the flagship, although Fresno State is nipping at their heels now. For the last couple years Nevada has been the basketball flagship. Get over it

57 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

UNR will suck.  Btw, UNR fans are dumb because they keep complaining about us calling them that.  That’s part of the reason why we do it.

Nevada has reached the tournament with 3 different coaches in the 2000's.  Muss has taken the program to a new level, but it seems obvious that he is not the only coach that can win here.  If for some reason he decided to stay, Nevada would compete near the top of the conference even in down years.  If he leaves, we have to hope to get lucky with our next hire.  We certainly were lucky the last time.

Watching the crater form is going to be so much fun.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

4 hours ago, NVGiant said:

Flagship works in the context it was used. You seem to want it to mean something different. Carry on.

Here's a hierarchy of usages for "Flagship" ranked from most common-to-least in a sports/higher-education context:

Flagship of a university system:  CSU I---> Colorado State Univ system, Cal I---> Univ of Calif system  

Flagship of a conf:  Clemson I---> ACC

===============I  Mendoza Line  I===============

Flagship of a particular sport w/in a conf:  UNR I---> MWC Hoops

Flagship of a statistical category for a particular sport w/in a conf:  Nico Carvacho I---> MWC Hoops Rebounding

5 minutes ago, GoState99755 said:

Here's a hierarchy of usages for "Flagship" ranked from most common-to-least in a sports/higher-education context:

Flagship of a university system:  CSU I---> Colorado State University system 

Flagship of a statistical category for a particular sport w/in a conf:  Nico Carvacho I---> MWC Hoops

There are times when I am reminded that I am just THAT much closer to death.

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

"Flagship" has nothing to do with any particular sport.  I---> ¡¡¡ THANK YOU !!!  That my pt.  The OP title:

"Nevada has become the flagship program of...MWC (hoops)"

...is contrary our pt.

You're either the big dog in your state or you're not.  I---> That's neither a "dog" nor buffalo. 

By the way....you're not.  I---> Never said we were.

Image result for ralphie the buffalo  <---I  BISON  

1 hour ago, TheTedfordTrain said:

¿What about a boot? I---> ¿What about it?

¿¿DOES CSU HAVE THAT?¡. I---> Your question is not on topic. ¡FOCUS!   

10 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

There are times when I am reminded that I am just THAT much closer to death.

¿Am I invited to you funeral?

15 minutes ago, GoState99755 said:

Flagship of a statistical category for a particular sport w/in a conf:  Nico Carvacho I---> MWC Hoops

You imply that your personal and subjective preference of the usage of the phrase is the proper usage for it. It is your opinion contrary to the article posted and all of our reactions to it. You can't reinvent the wheel. Just because you subjectively disagree with the majority doesn't mean you are any authority. Quit being a hippie.

57 minutes ago, NVBlueNeck said:

We didn't misuse any words smart guy. You are no authority on which sports can be included in the status moniker of flagship. I---> Obviously you've never been to any of the Semi-Annual Regional Collegiate Athletic Terminology Caucuses -or- Quadrennial National Collegiate Athletic Terminology Summits.  :-(     

Different sports have different schools that are the class and bellwether of the conference. With football BSU is the flagship, although Fresno State is nipping at their heels now. For the last couple years Nevada has been the basketball flagship. Get over it

Flagship of a particular sport w/in a conf:  UNR I---> MWC Hoops

Flagship of a statistical category for a particular sport w/in a conf:  Nico Carvacho I---> MWC Hoops

9 minutes ago, NVBlueNeck said:

You imply that your personal and subjective preference of the usage of the phrase is the proper usage for it. It is your opinion I---> AGREE 100%

...contrary to the article posted and

...all of our reactions to it.  I--->  You might want to dbl-chk @renoskier's opinion

You can't reinvent the wheel. Just because you subjectively disagree with the majority doesn't mean you are any authority.

Quit being a hippie. I---> ¿How does being a hairsplitting prick equate to hippie-ness? 

1 hour ago, packNV said:

Nevada has reached the tournament with 3 different coaches in the 2000's.  Muss has taken the program to a new level, but it seems obvious that he is not the only coach that can win here.  If for some reason he decided to stay, Nevada would compete near the top of the conference even in down years.  If he leaves, we have to hope to get lucky with our next hire.  We certainly were lucky the last time.

UNLV says hi.

I have a thought experiment for you guys. Head bball coach position is open at UNR, UNLV, SDSU and New Mexico. Coach X has his pick.  Is he choosing Reno?  

Can you be the flagship program in a conference if your coaching job is 4-7th on the totem pole? 

25 minutes ago, toonkee said:

I have a thought experiment for you guys. Head bball coach position is open at UNR, UNLV, SDSU and New Mexico. Coach X has his pick.  Is he choosing Reno?  

Can you be the flagship program in a conference if your coaching job is 4-7th on the totem pole? 

Yes they are going to pick Nevada is that a serious question ?

31 minutes ago, toonkee said:

It's worked this millennium for Nevada. Only SDSU has been better.  Their version of Muss stayed so they had a great run.  That is a premier job if it comes open again.  Our track record is the next best for a 20 year period. 

1 hour ago, toonkee said:

UNLV says hi.

We've had three different coaches actually win a game in the tournament (actually they've each won at least two games).