Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BSUTOP25

Trump pushing this Bible in schools thing ....

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 8:10 AM, BSUTOP25 said:

Yes, I know what gospel means. That's specifically why I used that phrase. 

I'll reiterate my stance. I don't have an issue with the Bible being taught in school as long as it is done at a high-level from a "this is what the Christian religion is about and here is what some of the major sects within it believe." Then the same course could devote equal time and similar approach to Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, etc.  The problem is when you go cover to cover with the Bible along with interpretation from a public school teacher. That would would be a nightmare. 

Agreed. The Bible is culturally significant and is referenced colloquially and in literature, so I have no problem with teaching its cultural significance in proper context.

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

It's getting dark for Trump and he's going 1000% in on his base right now.  That's why the wall, abortion and God are getting so much airplay.  It always comes down to an either/or choice/lesser of two evils and he's in full on campaign mode right now to save his skin.

On 1/30/2019 at 1:56 PM, alum93 said:

Even better.  That way you can really be sure they are teaching the Bible the way you want it done, not with some random teacher in a public school who may or may not care one bit about religion, much less what the Bible says or doesn't say.  And you aren't using tax dollars either.   Our educational system has enough challenges as it is.  

Bingo! If I was a public school teacher forced to teach the Bible, part of my curriculum would be required reading of Vincent Bugliosi's book Divinity of Doubt. I'm going to take a wild guess and say that book probably isn't being used in the religious high school I attended.

Boom goes the dynamite.

8 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Bingo! If I was a public school teacher forced to teach the Bible, part of my curriculum would be required reading of Vincent Bugliosi's book Divinity of Doubt. I'm going to take a wild guess and say that book probably isn't being used in the religious high school I attended.

One I would recommend is the Portuguese writer Jose Saramago’s The Gospel of Jesus Christ. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

15 hours ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

One I would recommend is the Portuguese writer Jose Saramago’s The Gospel of Jesus Christ. 

Thanks for the tip. If I can get it cheap off Amazon, I'll buy it right away.

Boom goes the dynamite.