Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nevada Convert

2019-2020 Nevada Starting 5

I’m really not sure about this, but Brown and Drew are easy. When it’s all said and done, it obviously won’t be a stacked team like this year, but it still has Top 25 potential. 

1. Lindsey Drew

2. Jazz Johnson

3. Jordan Brown

4. KJ Hymes

5. ?????????

I’m not sure which transfer Forward goes here. Muss is also going after a lot of crazy good players including some high ranked 5 star guys. So we’ll have to see how that goes.

kat.jpg

Nevada still has four scholarships to fill. Unless current walkons Jojo Anderson and/or Jalen Townsell earn a scholarship, I expect one and maybe two of those players to be ready to compete for a starting slot. 

Going with who is on campus or signed already, I agree on Drew and Brown and expect Jalen Harris and Eric Parrish to start too. Jazz is good enough to start, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he remained the 6th man earning starter’s minutes.

Shamiel Stevenson might start, but won’t be eligible until after the fall semester ends. The same is true for Michael Lewis. I have trouble seeing Zouzoua getting much run. Judging from Muss’ reactions to his play every time he’s on the floor, he makes way too many poor decisions  I don’t know if his issues are correctable. 

I think Hymes will play some, but likely won’t really crack the lineup in a meaningful way until 2020-21 unless he puts on a lot of strength and weight between April and November next season. He’s something of a project: nice skills, but his body needs to develop enough for him to be effective defensively in Muss’ system or he won’t see the floor much. 

From what I hear Jalen Harris should be a starter, our team will definitely be a lot smaller next season. Not sure how Harris, Drew, Johnson, Harris, Stevenson, Parrish, etc will all get minutes when they're all shorter than 6'4.

We'll definitely see a different style of play unless there are drastic changes to our roster (which knowing Muss, is probably going to happen).

6 hours ago, bigd said:

From what I hear Jalen Harris should be a starter, our team will definitely be a lot smaller next season. Not sure how Harris, Drew, Johnson, Harris, Stevenson, Parrish, etc will all get minutes when they're all shorter than 6'4.

We'll definitely see a different style of play unless there are drastic changes to our roster (which knowing Muss, is probably going to happen).

The listed heights for the following four players are all 6’4” and taller:

Drew 6’4” - you already know he plays bratty big

Harris 6’5”” - reportedly plays pretty if for his height

Parrish 6’6” (or 6’7” on the Bossier Parrish JC site) and averages the following: 

pts/g 20.9

rb/g 9.5

ast/g 6.8

fg% 56.4

3pt% 32.9

He’s a do everything guy.

Stevenson 6’6”, 245 lbs and plays somewhat like Caroline

So, smaller than this season, but not really small across the board at all.

30 minutes ago, Posturedoc said:

Parrish 6’6” (or 6’7” on the Bossier Parrish JC site) and averages the following: 

pts/g 20.9

rb/g 9.5

ast/g 6.8

fg% 56.4

3pt% 32.9

Thanks for the correction, for some reason I was picturing them all to be shorter. This makes more sense. 

24 minutes ago, bigd said:

Thanks for the correction, for some reason I was picturing them all to be shorter. This makes more sense. 

Jeebus! It appears that Drew and Harris play bratty and iffy for their respective heights. I’m not sure I want such disruptive players on the team I root for. 

55 minutes ago, Posturedoc said:

pts/g 20.9

rb/g 9.5

ast/g 6.8

fg% 56.4

3pt% 32.9

10 hours ago, Posturedoc said:

Nevada still has four scholarships to fill. Unless current walkons Jojo Anderson and/or Jalen Townsell earn a scholarship, I expect one and maybe two of those players to be ready to compete for a starting slot. 

Going with who is on campus or signed already, I agree on Drew and Brown and expect Jalen Harris and Eric Parrish to start too. Jazz is good enough to start, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he remained the 6th man earning starter’s minutes.

Shamiel Stevenson might start, but won’t be eligible until after the fall semester ends. The same is true for Michael Lewis. I have trouble seeing Zouzoua getting much run. Judging from Muss’ reactions to his play every time he’s on the floor, he makes way too many poor decisions  I don’t know if his issues are correctable. 

I think Hymes will play some, but likely won’t really crack the lineup in a meaningful way until 2020-21 unless he puts on a lot of strength and weight between April and November next season. He’s something of a project: nice skills, but his body needs to develop enough for him to be effective defensively in Muss’ system or he won’t see the floor much. 

I have heard that Jalen Townsell is a real guy, so he truly could get a scholarship. He certainly seems to fit Muss’ mold. Even if that happens, that’s still three unused scholarships, and maybe more if Brown declares or transfers (I don’t view either as likely, but both possible) and/or Zouzoua decides to transfer (not sure if he is close to graduating or not). It’s a possibility those scholarships are all used on transfers who sit out next year, but either way Muss has a lot of work to do. 

It’s too early to come up with a starting five with so many unused scholarships, but if I had to guess:

Drew

Harris

parrish

stevenson

brown

First two off the bench:

Jazz

Lewis

We’re going to be thin as hell, even by Muss’ standards, until Stevenson and Lewis become eligible.

21 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

I have heard that Jalen Townsell is a real guy, so he truly could get a scholarship. He certainly seems to fit Muss’ mold. Even if that happens, that’s still three unused scholarships, and maybe more if Brown declares or transfers (I don’t view either as likely, but both possible) and/or Zouzoua decides to transfer (not sure if he is close to graduating or not). It’s a possibility those scholarships are all used on transfers who sit out next year, but either way Muss has a lot of work to do. 

It’s too early to come up with a starting five with so many unused scholarships, but if I had to guess:

Drew

Harris

parrish

stevenson

brown

First two off the bench:

Jazz

Lewis

We’re going to be thin as hell, even by Muss’ standards, until Stevenson and Lewis become eligible.

A "real guy"? As opposed to what other kind? Jesus @Posturedoc what the hell have Pack fans been putting in their coffee this morning.

btw, yes I think Townsell could earn a scholarship:D

40 minutes ago, renoskier said:

A "real guy"? As opposed to what other kind? Jesus @Posturedoc what the hell have Pack fans been putting in their coffee this morning.

I drink three-four cups in the morning and always add whiskey to my morning covfefe, 50:50. 

I read your posts. You do too. 

I think Jazz starting will depend on his defensive abilities, team rebounding and who else is available to bring the spark off the bench.

Whether Townsell gets a scholarship or not, he needs to play 15 to 20 minutes a game he is deceptively athletic. He can be the glue guy.

As for starting 5.

PG- Drew

SG- Harris

SF- Parrish or Townsell

PF- Townsell or Parrish

C- Brown 

Starting lineup changes once the 2nd semester starts.

From Chris Murray’s mailbag last night. I agree with everything he said. I can see a grad transfer that’s a shooter. I don’t see them adding a grad transfer like Trey Porter or you’re just asking for Jordan Brown to transfer.

PG: Lindsey Drew/Jazz Johnson/JoJo Anderson

SG: Jalen Harris/Nisré Zouzoua

SF: Eric Parrish/Jalen Townswell

PF: Shamiel Stevenson (eligible in December)

C: Jordan Brown/K.J. Hymes

Plus, Nevada has four scholarships remaining. Add some shooting and another power forward and that's a solid lineup and the favorite to win the Mountain West.

6 minutes ago, UofNPackFan said:

We definitely need at least 1 more 6'10" guy, but needs to be athletic. 

I’d wager Muss would prefer a 6’7-8”, 210-220 lbs guy who can dribble, shoot, run and play defense to a 6’10” who can’t do all of that (because those players are extremely difficult to find after abou 6’8”). His comments continuue to suggest he prefers positionless basketball, and there are already two 6’11” dudes on the team next season. 

I’m curious how Pack fans see Jordan Brown. For all the hoopla generated when he signed he hasn’t seen a lot of playing time. When I think of a five star recruit, I think of a guy that steps on the floor and has a significant impact like the guys at Duke. Was he over rated? I guess the good news is he likely is not one and done. 

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

As opposed to someone over the hill and/or useless. Read your posts for demonstrations of this. :whistle: