Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ShoichiKUN808

Aloha Stadium's Replacement Plan Underway

Looks like the state legislature finally is starting to put in work on the desperately needed replacement for Aloha Stadium. If the bills are approved, the Stadium Authority that runs the stadium will finally get their wish on redeveloping the area and replacing the old stadium.

For the first time in a decade of discussion about the future of rapidly deteriorating Aloha Stadium, bills before the Legislature propose a by-the-numbers financial blueprint and define a process for ancillary redevelopment of the 98-acre parcel.

Twin bills in the state House and Senate that call for a $350 million investment and the establishment of a development district under the oversight of the Hawaii Community Development Authority reflect an emerging consensus among key lawmakers about speeding up replacement of the 44-year-old facility."

"Senate Bill 1530 and House Bill 1497 would appropriate $100 million out of general funds, up to $150 million in revenue bonds and $100 million in general obligation bonds for the 2019-20 fiscal year."

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2019/01/27/hawaii-news/lawmakers-push-blueprint-for-aloha-stadium-redevelopment/

I would rather have a 40k seat stadium than the proposed 35k...but something is better than nothing. Going by the original plan, the new stadium would be built in part of the parking lot, so the old stadium could still be in use until then. The plan for the area is to make it an entertainment hub with apartments, a shopping district, etc.

Going by how long its taking to build the rail transit system...I'm not expecting it done any earlier than 2030...

OYCFLQBWANHSVLWCTNLC6I2XB4.jpg

12 hours ago, Slapdad said:

What’s the surrounding area like now? 

All the areas that have buildings near the rail line in the concept is just Stadium parking currently. Along with some low income housing.

The Stadium Authority wanted more revenue sources outside of just the stadium, the swap meet, and carnivals held on its grounds. So they are trying to build out the area.

Guest #1Stunner
1 minute ago, ShoichiKUN808 said:

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2019/01/28/future-aloha-stadium-might-not-include-beloved-swap-meet/

The future of Aloha Stadium might not include the beloved swap meet

Scrap this plan!!!  Keep the swap meet!!!

This new plan is a cash grab... A tiny stadium, so they can build more luxury condos on the large site.

It should be at least a 45K seat stadium, with the same large parking lot, and a swap meet.  This should be a crown jewell for all Hawaiians to use and enjoy.

2 hours ago, jdgaucho said:

We await the watercolors

¡BITE YOUR TOUNGE Don Vaquero!  

I think UofH's cyber-art, rivals any of the best h2o-colors.

34 minutes ago, Slapdad said:

What’s the surrounding area like now? 

11 minutes ago, ShoichiKUN808 said:

All the areas they have buildings near the rail line in the concept is just Stadium parking currently. Along with some low income housing.

The Stadium Authority wanted more revenue sources outside of just the stadium. So they are trying to build out the area.

Have they got in to the specifics of the additional "...revenue sources outside of just the stadium?"  Will any of those integrate directly w/the the stadium (i.e.: bars/restaurant themed to be good pre-&-post game destinations)?

8 hours ago, ShoichiKUN808 said:

I would rather have a 40k seat stadium than the proposed 35k...but something is better than nothing. 

I understand why you feel how you do about a $40k-seat venue, however I think eventually you'll like a 35k-seat stadium.  There's something to be said about creating value through scarcity.  

Given the current 35k-seat configuration, ¿is it safe to say, y'all aren't building this w/the idea of bringing back the Pro Bowl?

3 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

If they get a new stadium, do they get the pro bowl back?

It's not really a matter of "if" its really just a matter of "when". Most if not all of the state lawmakers do agree the current stadium needs to be replaced, as yearly maintenance has been forecast over the long run to cost more just replacing it.

The issues has always been where will the new stadium be built (at the existing Halawa site, near UH-West Oahu in Kapolei, or somehow near/on UH-Manoa's campus), how will it be funded (some lawmakers and members of the Stadium Authority went to tour CSU's stadium and talk with officials to learn how the stadium was paid for and built, when we played them this past season), along with the size of the stadium itself. It's the reason the Stadium Authority laid out the master plan for redevelopment to get the ball rolling and are currently in the middle of an Environmental Impact Statement.

The Stadium Authority currently is doing the minimum needed to keep the current Aloha Stadium safe & operational, as they fully do plan on replacing it in the next few years. 

I think its more in the hands of Disney/ESPN than the players and coaches for the Pro Bowl. Seems like a majority of NFL players/coaches rather have it in Hawaii.

4 hours ago, Extra Mayo said:

What does this have to do with travel subs? #IwantMyMoney

We will charge you rent to play in it.

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.