Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MWC Tex

Interesting info regarding OTT Service

https://www.streamingmediablog.com/2019/01/live-ott-channel-costs.html

This plays a factor how the MW goes forward with the TV contract.

As OTT services pay ESPN $6/month/sub they are increasing the costs to customers.

Meaning, that cord cutters going to OTT services will drop out also.

I myself now have dropped DirecTV Now because it is getting past my breakpoint.  We are now are now with Philo TV which has the regular cable channels but without the sports and news channels. It only costs me $16/month.

We May be better off with just using Stadium OTA and the MWDN.

1 hour ago, MWC Tex said:

As OTT services pay ESPN $6/month/sub they are increasing the costs to customers.

I myself now have dropped DirecTV Now because it is getting past my breakpoint.  We are now are now with Philo TV which has the regular cable channels but without the sports and news channels. It only costs me $16/month.

OK, I'll step up and be the one.  I'm freaking confused.  What does OTT stand for?  I've surmised that it is an acronym for non cable/satellite/over the air providers.  That doesn't explain MVSP though.  What I'm also missing is that if ESPN is "running train" on everyone (thank you Googly Eyes Cortez) why is it automatically assumed that stadium or whoever will also.  Are we not just in a more informed place to negotiate, not necessarily a "we're screwed" position?

5 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

OK, I'll step up and be the one.  I'm freaking confused.  What does OTT stand for? 

Over the top (OTT) is a term used to refer to content providers that distribute streaming media as a standalone product directly to viewers over the Internet, bypassing telecommunications, multichannel television, and broadcast television platforms that traditionally act as a controller or distributor of such content.

As for the intricacies of what the article means for MW broadcasting in the future, I don't know. 

7 hours ago, Headbutt said:

OK, I'll step up and be the one.  I'm freaking confused.  What does OTT stand for?  I've surmised that it is an acronym for non cable/satellite/over the air providers.  That doesn't explain MVSP though.  What I'm also missing is that if ESPN is "running train" on everyone (thank you Googly Eyes Cortez) why is it automatically assumed that stadium or whoever will also.  Are we not just in a more informed place to negotiate, not necessarily a "we're screwed" position?

Yeah I had to look up MVPD.  It stands for Multichannel Video Programming Distribution. Basically it is cable service providers.

OTT does not include OTA stations. Only Interenet TV providers like PS  Vue, Sling, Fubo TV.

As for Stadium, they are an OTA broadcaster.  They provide their channel for free via internet also.

I just read that Direct TV Now had dropped their $15 discount for unlimited AT&T subscribers and are expecting another increase soon but will later launch a new service that has less content for less money so they can compete with other streaming services.

As for the MWC we need to start negotiating with Hulu, PS  Vue,  Fubu, Sling TV, YouTube TV and Amazon Prime about getting air time. Also Disney, NBC and Werner are going to be launching their own streaming services in the near future. We need to figure out how to make some money off this without being soley dependent on ESPN. ESPN is bleeding money from their new ESPN+. 

Maybe we need to remake our own conference network but make it available to all streaming services not like it was before.

10 hours ago, MWC Tex said:

I look at those fees and wonder why I can’t pay ESPN $10 month directly to use their service over the app. Hulu Live just announced it will be raising its prices. So I switched to You Tube TV. I’m back to playing the satellite/cable game. But I only use any of those services because of live sports. Drives me crazy.

14 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

I look at those fees and wonder why I can’t pay ESPN $10 month directly to use their service over the app. Hulu Live just announced it will be raising its prices. So I switched to You Tube TV. I’m back to playing the satellite/cable game. But I only use any of those services because of live sports. Drives me crazy.

This ^^^ !!!

If i want to stream ALL of my content, I definitely don't want to be held hostage by needing a cable/satellite account to access it!

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

All you guys who are going the "stream only" route: who do you use for your internet service and how much does it cost?

I currently use AT&T.

12 Mbs DSL for $40/month.  They just laid fiber down in my town and have several packages from 100 mbs for $50/month to 1 gig for $80.

I can also get internet via the cable company.  Soon we will be seeing the 5G system role out for internet service.

1 minute ago, MWC Tex said:

I currently use AT&T.

12 Mbs DSL for $40/month.  They just laid fiber down in my town and have several packages from 100 mbs for $50/month to 1 gig for $80.

I can also get internet via the cable company.  Soon we will be seeing the 5G system role out for internet service.

Thanks, I hope a few more respond. This seems to be the part of the conversation which is often left out of the "cord cutting" discussion.

I'm paying $65/mo, with all fees, for Charter 100 mbs service (just did a speed test, 115 down and 11.6 up)

All you guys who are going the "stream only" route: who do you use for your internet service and how much does it cost?

Century Link DSL. 50 Mbs for $55/month. It's plenty fast enough to stream whatever you need. 

10 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Thanks, I hope a few more respond. This seems to be the part of the conversation which is often left out of the "cord cutting" discussion.

I'm paying $65/mo, with all fees, for Charter 100 mbs service (just did a speed test, 115 down and 11.6 up)

That is more than enough speed. Here, I had 100 mbs service from the local cable company, but it would slow down at peak times. I've had much better success with the DSL. I think fewer people have it so it doesn't slow down as much during prime time. But it sounds like you're getting the advertised speeds, so no worries there.

8 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

That is more than enough speed. Here, I had 100 mbs service from the local cable company, but it would slow down at peak times. I've had much better success with the DSL. I think fewer people have it so it doesn't slow down as much during prime time.

I've got another question for the board's high tech dudes: the other day my service was shit, I was only getting 2 mbs down. I turned off the modem and router for a few minutes, booted it back up and waa laa, back to 100+ mbs. Why does this work and why does it go wonky in the first place?

3 hours ago, renoskier said:

I pay $75 a month for 12 Mbs but I live in northern NM where part of my fees are for easement access because I am surrounded by Indian reservations/pueblo lands. My internet is $49.99 a month but fees & taxes jack it up by $25. I am looking into finding a cheaper service that is reliable. 

Edit: I use Winstream as my internet service which until the last 10 years was the only internet service here. Also they are offering Kinetic speed (25 Mbs) for the same price the only catch is I have to pay for them to connect to another line which would o cost me about $3 a foot to go about 300 feet and then pay $10 for the rental of the modem. No thanks I'll find another provider.

36 minutes ago, renoskier said:

I've got another question for the board's high tech dudes: the other day my service was shit, I was only getting 2 mbs down. I turned off the modem and router for a few minutes, booted it back up and waa laa, back to 100+ mbs. Why does this work and why does it go wonky in the first place?

Dirty lines or someone in the area is eating all the bandwidth.

Currently slow DSL with Centurylink (12MPS) and it works fine if only one TV is streaming. Sucks if 2 or more devices are.   Fiber optic is less than a mile away but we're considered 'rural' so it's not coming up our way anytime soon.  Going to give cable internet a try because they offer a package for $60/month that peaks transfers at almost 300mps according to them. 

17 minutes ago, nashvillepoke said:

Dirty lines or someone in the area is eating all the bandwidth.

If possible, can you explain "dirty lines" in layman's terms? I don't believe it was a neighbor problem because it immediately fixed itself after rebooting the modem and router.

I don't agree that it's often left out, but I do feel like it probably shouldn't be included. Should we include the cost of the electricity used to power whatever box you're using to stream it, too? Internet is used for far more than just video streaming services, and most US households would pay for it if they're not streaming video.

5809184128_5cf90ed7dc_b.jpg