retrofade

The Orville

This show has become one of my favorites over the last year. I highly recommend it to anyone that enjoys sci-fi. It takes everything that I love about Star Trek: The Next Generation, along with DS9, Voyager, and Galaxy Quest and mixes it in to create a great show. 

I’ve been trying to get into Discovery but it doesn’t feel like Trek.  I’ve heard Orville was more like Trek than Discovery.  I’ll have to check it out. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

6 hours ago, mugtang said:

I’ve been trying to get into Discovery but it doesn’t feel like Trek.  I’ve heard Orville was more like Trek than Discovery.  I’ll have to check it out. 

The Orville is like The Next Generation with some Family Guy humor. Discovery is DS9 Dominion War Trek extended.

8 hours ago, retrofade said:

This show has become one of my favorites over the last year. I highly recommend it to anyone that enjoys sci-fi. It takes everything that I love about Star Trek: The Next Generation, along with DS9, Voyager, and Galaxy Quest and mixes it in to create a great show. 

I've been watching it since last year and I'm having a hard time getting into it. I guess I've been watching it wrong. I was expecting a comedy and it's not funny. I guess I need to take a different approach watching it. 

Just now, rudolro said:

I've been watching it since last year and I'm having a hard time getting into it. I guess I've been watching it wrong. I was expecting a comedy and it's not funny. I guess I need to take a different approach watching it. 

I've always watched it as a sci-fi drama with elements of comedy. 

• Like 1

For the most part I enjoyed the first season of the Orville.  However, the second season until this past week was to me pretty much garbage.  Going into this week if I'd had to endure one more episode about the sex life of Bortus or Dr. Finn's falling in love with a robot I was prepared to give up on the show.  Finally however, this weeks episode was actually worthy of being called a sci-fi.  It was an unexpected and welcomed turn to finally realize what Isacc's true mission was during his time on the Orville.  An army of murderous robots becoming hell bent on intergalactic domination is something I'll damn sure watch!  A show about pushing social norms while falling far short of sci-fi is one I definately will not.  Fingers crossed that the orville has turned the corner.

On 2/23/2019 at 2:07 PM, NorCalCoug said:

I watched 2 episodes after this thread out of curiosity....  sorry, but awful, just embarrassing bad.

You're embarrassing. :P

In all seriousness though, the first two episodes were okay, but it started finding it's legs towards the middle of the season. The same thing has happened this year so far as well.

I've tried several times.. I've tried and it just seems so hooky.. Which if that's what it is fine. But everyone says it's good star trek... 

I watched the first couple episodes... People say it got it better as the season went on. So I jumped in season 2 and the first episode was about them watching a guy take a piss. So I stopped. I just don't get it.. May give it another go but on no hurry.