Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

toonkee

What are the Identity Politics of the Republican Party?

Just now, toonkee said:

Let's talk about this for once.

I think it's been talked about quite a bit here.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

Guest #1Stunner
2 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Let's talk about this for once.

First, let's define Identity Politics:

i·den·ti·ty pol·i·tics
noun

1. a tendency for people of a particular religion, race, social background, etc., to form exclusive political alliances, moving away from traditional broad-based party politics.

The Republican Party makes odes to "colorblindness" that effectively reject actual remedies for historical inequality 

While at the same time their nationalist wing headed by the President and those of his ilk dogwhistle about the immigration "crisis" to garner electoral support 

I think its been pretty discussed among people with the ability to analyze the world around them

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

It is funny how upset democrats are now that Trump used their identity politics tactics against them.

Democrats have been dividing people into groups for 6 decades.  Pushing hate, jealousy and division to gain votes.  Trump does the same thing right back to them and now it is an issue.  HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!

A pox on both of your ignorant houses.

17 minutes ago, Bob said:

This isn't a Republican thing, sorry. Democrats are obsessed with identity politics/race. Repubs only see merit.

Democrats treat minorities like they are sub-human and pander to them.

Democrats have also destroyed major inner cities with their policies. 

As I see it (and none of these apply to all republicans obviously but if you listen to 20 people talk IMO these are the ones you'll hear from multiple people)...

• More class based than Democrats are. There's a strange antipathy for the working poor (even when those working poor tend to overwhelmingly vote republican) at both a rhetoric and a policy level. There is a not insignificant "I got mine so why should my tax money help anyone else" vibe, but this may just be extremely Wyoming government/weird governing class we have specific, but the "JOB CREATOR!!!!!!!!!" thing argues against it. That last one is strange to me as helping people off their feet leads to more demand in the economy but w/e
  • Focused on rural areas instead of urban conglomerations - more specifically, perceived rural vs perceived urban. You see this all the time - "I'm glad to be back, away from DC/California/New York and back in REAL AMERICA!" - cue cheers. As if a defining feature of America wasn't "had biggest city in the world for like 100 years". This is far more explicitly identity politics than the things I see democrats say, most people seem to ignore it because we're kinda conditioned to believe it, conservative and liberal alike (look at the plots of Star Wars and Hunger Games). Of course again this may be warped by my bubble, Mary Throne and Pete Gosar haven't talked much about identity politics so if they haven't I haven't really heard a Democrat talk about it in a way that I can look around and understand.
  • Especially the national republicans seem to equate godliness and Christianity with being a Republican - seems a lot more like a Southerner thing. Yeah, Bob, I'm looking at you on this one. As I've pointed out in a different thread, makes zero sense. 
  • Define themselves by being what Washington isn't- I'm not talking about small government guys like Blues or sean, I'm talking about guys like the Bundys or Taylor Hays who wanted to seize all federal land in Wyoming. While this of course is also primarily opposed by the Republican party I don't see it at all by the Democrats so I felt like it bore mentioning.
  • Frankly lately just the tribal affiliation of being a Republican is itself identity politics and it is absurd. "Owning the libs", "well of course that is what a LIBERAL would say," "the democrats want this because THEY ALL HATE AMERICA" as if that contributes to an article at all, and so on. Comes from the lowest common denominator of people you haven't gotten around to snoozing on facebook but it is present enough to mention. 
  • Crime and punishment is probably the biggest historical example - thankfully eroded by guys like Rand Paul. "Tough on crime", 3 strike laws, Rockefeller sentencing all used identifying "criminals" as people who needed to be hammered and then disproportionately targeted the people who did not have the financial or political clout to fight back. IMO the whole kneeling thing falls under this one's umbrella, just the rhetoric used felt very similar.

I'm not including the weird ass Trump stuff. His border identity politics are both so obvious I don't feel it necessary to expand on and does not feel "republican" to me at all and his other stuff just feels off in the same manner.

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

6 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

First, let's define Identity Politics:

i·den·ti·ty pol·i·tics
noun

1. a tendency for people of a particular religion, race, social background, etc., to form exclusive political alliances, moving away from traditional broad-based party politics.

Using that definition, it's hard to pin identity politics on the Democrats given that they are more diverse from a religion, race and social background perspective. The GOP, by contrast, is more uniformly white, Christian and less broad-based.

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

9 minutes ago, Artist formerly known as Hal said:

How Democrats look at everything 

810FB99C-FEBB-462C-9357-378E4C046856.jpeg

Exhibit A...

23 minutes ago, happycamper said:

• Frankly lately just the tribal affiliation of being a Republican is itself identity politics and it is absurd. "Owning the libs", "well of course that is what a LIBERAL would say," "the democrats want this because THEY ALL HATE AMERICA" as if that contributes to an article at all, and so on. Comes from the lowest common denominator of people you haven't gotten around to snoozing on facebook but it is present enough to mention. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

Guest #1Stunner
18 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Using that definition, it's hard to pin identity politics on the Democrats given that they are more diverse from a religion, race and social background perspective. The GOP, by contrast, is more uniformly white, Christian and less broad-based.

Yeah, you are probably right.   I just googled it and this is the first definition that came up.   But it is more nuanced that that.

It's basically a ploy that amounts to:  Hey women, you need to vote for a woman candidate.   or   Hey black people, you need to vote for a black candidate.   

That sort of thing...

The one thing I’ll say about Republicans is that they used to be the party of optimism and a purist view on American exceptionalism back in the 1980s and 90s. They’re far more fire and brimstone today. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

1 hour ago, #1Stunner said:

Yeah, you are probably right.   I just googled it and this is the first definition that came up.   But it is more nuanced that that.

It's basically a ploy that amounts to:  Hey women, you need to vote for a woman candidate.   or   Hey black people, you need to vote for a black candidate.   

That sort of thing...

Hey rural person, look at me I'm a cowboy hat wearing guy, I'm one of you, vote for me.

15 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Hey rural person, look at me I'm a cowboy hat wearing guy, I'm one of you, vote for me.

Lol. Typical city person thought process.  You don’t think the rural folks can’t spot a drugstore cowboy a mile away? Try it sometime and watch the rural folks snicker and laugh their asses off, or kick your ass. 

20 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

The one thing I’ll say about Republicans is that they used to be the party of optimism and a purist view on American exceptionalism back in the 1980s and 90s. They’re far more fire and brimstone today. 

The typical Republican today seems angry. The world is changing but they keep looking backward, as if things were better in the past.

Things weren't "better", just different and it doesn't matter anyway, there's no going back.

11 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Lol. Typical city person thought process.  You don’t think the rural folks can’t spot a drugstore cowboy a mile away? Try it sometime and watch the rural folks snicker and laugh their asses off, or kick your ass. 

I don't know, can you?

Image result for ronald reagan in cowboy hat

10 minutes ago, renoskier said:

The typical Republican today seems angry. The world is changing but they keep looking backward, as if things were better in the past.

Things weren't "better", just different and it doesn't matter anyway, there's no going back.

Yeah, it’s depressing to talk politics with most Republicans nowadays. Doom, gloom, and anger. That said, Dems are very similar.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg