Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

MWC Football Assistant Coach losses

What coaches and/or coordinators have been lost to other schools so far this year?

I know that Fresno lost both Kalen DeBoer (OC) and Jamar Cain (DL) to Indiana and Arizona State respectively this week. I mean, I can't really blame them, DeBoer especially... he was making $333k (+ $67k with max bonuses) with us, and Indiana is paying him $800k. We should be able to absorb both losses, particularly if we can promote Ryan Grubb from OL to OC... since I think he'd be a bigger loss than DeBoer given how great he's been with our OL.There are some rumblings that we could lose one other coach, but nothing for certain there yet. So we're at minimum looking to replace our OC and DL coaches, and then we'll probably be looking for a QB coach unless we don't promote Grubb and hire an OC that can fulfill that role. 

Who all else has been lost from the MWC this year? 

Gone from USU

• Head Coach - Matt Wells to Texas Tech
  • OC - David Yost to Texas Tech
  • DC - Keith Patterson to Texas Tech
  • WR Coach - Jovon Bouknight to Texas Tech
  • CB Coach - Julius Brown to Texas Tech
  • OL Coach - Steve Farmer to Texas Tech
  • RB Coach - Deandre Smith to Texas Tech
  • TE Coach - Luke Wells to Texas Tech
  • Head S&C Coach - Dave Scholz to Texas Tech
  • Offensive GA - Chuckie Keeton to ???

So, not too many losses.....

34 minutes ago, Lobo Amor said:

Lobos lost strength & conditioning coach Arman Satchel to Louisville and OC Calvin Magee to Ole Miss.

I keep hoping and praying that we’ll hear Cosgrove got snatched up by someone, but noooooooo!

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

7 hours ago, retrofade said:

What coaches and/or coordinators have been lost to other schools so far this year?

I know that Fresno lost both Kalen DeBoer (OC) and Jamar Cain (DL) to Indiana and Arizona State respectively this week. I mean, I can't really blame them, DeBoer especially... he was making $333k (+ $67k with max bonuses) with us, and Indiana is paying him $800k. We should be able to absorb both losses, particularly if we can promote Ryan Grubb from OL to OC... since I think he'd be a bigger loss than DeBoer given how great he's been with our OL.There are some rumblings that we could lose one other coach, but nothing for certain there yet. So we're at minimum looking to replace our OC and DL coaches, and then we'll probably be looking for a QB coach unless we don't promote Grubb and hire an OC that can fulfill that role. 

Who all else has been lost from the MWC this year? 

I wouldn't worry too much about DeBoer.  Tedford has a pretty good idea about what he wants to do offensively and he'll get a guy who can do it.  Plus IMO DeBoer wasn't all that creative.  I went back and watched film on six of your games this past year because Rocky is changing our offense and he specifically mentioned Fresno and Ohio as teams he wanted to emulate who lined up in spread formations and ran the ball a lot.  DeBoer ran inside zone on almost every single running play.  It worked because he had a great OL full of seniors but there wasn't much variety.

You guys will get someone who runs a similar system and won't skip a beat.  If you can't find anyone, we'd be glad to give you Horton...

I also wouldn't worry about Cain.  There are plenty of talented DL coaches out there in FBC and FCS who will jump at the chance.

1 hour ago, Fowl said:

I wouldn't worry too much about DeBoer.  Tedford has a pretty good idea about what he wants to do offensively and he'll get a guy who can do it.  Plus IMO DeBoer wasn't all that creative.  I went back and watched film on six of your games this past year because Rocky is changing our offense and he specifically mentioned Fresno and Ohio as teams he wanted to emulate who lined up in spread formations and ran the ball a lot.  DeBoer ran inside zone on almost every single running play.  It worked because he had a great OL full of seniors but there wasn't much variety.

You guys will get someone who runs a similar system and won't skip a beat.  If you can't find anyone, we'd be glad to give you Horton...

I also wouldn't worry about Cain.  There are plenty of talented DL coaches out there in FBC and FCS who will jump at the chance.

Where do you “go back and watch” all these games? Please don’t say DVR. Mine went south and I lost everything.   Lots and lots of MWC Fball. 

2 hours ago, Headbutt said:

Where do you “go back and watch” all these games? Please don’t say DVR. Mine went south and I lost everything.   Lots and lots of MWC Fball. 

Not OP, but there was a dude on youtube who had every BSU game plus many more CFB games on his channel. I just used that. Then this year finally got the copyright banhammer. 

Now some of BSUs games seem to be slowly coming back, but on private channels. If you want the links for BSU games (only back to 2015 looks like) they are linked from: http://markthebronco.com/

3 hours ago, Headbutt said:

They are out there on YouTube, Vimeo and other sources.  A lot of the ESPN broadcasts are on YouTube posted by one guy. No idea if he has authority to post those but just about every game broadcast on ESPN networks this past season is posted up by him with the commercials excluded. It’s a nice resource.  Also, if you are close enough to the coaching staff of your school you can have them send you the all-22 film from each of your school’s games. 

6 hours ago, Fowl said:

They are out there on YouTube, Vimeo and other sources.  A lot of the ESPN broadcasts are on YouTube posted by one guy. No idea if he has authority to post those but just about every game broadcast on ESPN networks this past season is posted up by him with the commercials excluded. It’s a nice resource.  Also, if you are close enough to the coaching staff of your school you can have them send you the all-22 film from each of your school’s games. 

Negatory on the all-22's.  Damn those would be amazing to have.  Thank's though.

CB Coach Eric Lewis (Marv's son) bolts for BC:

https://www.coloradoan.com/story/sports/csu/football/2019/01/21/report-colorado-state-university-football-losing-cornerbacks-coach-eric-lewis-boston-college/2640781002/

Strength Coach to Maryland

All this went down this wk & no replacements named yet.

¡¡¡ GO STATE !!!

12 hours ago, Fowl said:

I'm not worried about losing either one of them to be honest. It looks like we're keeping Grubb, and he's the one I wanted us to retain. 

Three changes for Wyoming:

OL coach Scott Fuchs was let go, replaced by former CU OL coach Klayton Adams (name should be familiar to BSU fans)

TE/FB coach Mike Bath left to coach RBs at Western Michigan; no replacement yet announced

Def. Coord. Scottie Hazelton left to assume the same position at Kansas State; no replacement yet announced.

On 1/23/2019 at 9:16 AM, renoskier said:

Nevada is losing their D-line coach Jason Kaufusi to UCLA.

He made $106k last year, the guy he's replacing at UCLA was making $350k.

350K in Brentwood is like making $106K in Reno. 

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

25 minutes ago, battle.borne said:

350K in Brentwood is like making $106K in Reno. 

No, it isn't.

Home prices in the greater LA metro area are a little less than double the prices here. 

Average rents are: about $3200 in LA vs $1750 in Reno/Sparks. So housing might cost an additional $20k/year. That's the main difference and leave a lot of cash left over.

For BSU: (changes in bold)

• Head Coach - Harsin
  • OC - Zac Hill (demoted?) to Co-OC
  • WR Coach - Eric Keisau - promoted to Co-OC
  • DC - Andy Avalos
  • CB Coach - Jeff Popovich - left to Georgia Tech
    • replaced by Jalil Brown (after a day at USU, season at NAU)
  • OL Coach - Brad Bedell
  • RB Coach - Lee Marks - will also be Co-ST coach this year
  • TE/ST Coach - also Asst. HC Kent Riddle - removed from ST duties
  • DL Coach - Chad Kauha'aha'a - left to USC
    • STUD Coach - Spencer Danielson has become the DL Coach
  • OLB Coach - added Jeff Schmedding from Eastern Washington (their DC) 
    • He will also be Co-ST coach
  • S/N Coach - Gabe Franklin