Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IanforHeisman

Reagan on the border.

15 hours ago, IanforHeisman said:

3 million undocumented immigrants were offered amnesty under his immigration reform plan.. And somehow America survived all the brown people.

Another thing that Reagan did that would cheese off the right wing base in 2018 

15 hours ago, IanforHeisman said:

3 million undocumented immigrants were offered amnesty under his immigration reform plan.. And somehow America survived all the brown people.

How old are you? Were you an a adult when Reagan was president and aware of the politics back then? 

What I find so funny is that people on social media compare what people have done in the past, and then apply it to today as if the world was exactly the same as it is now.

From the time Reagan was prez, to today, there’s been millions and millions more illegals that have come to this country. If he were alive today, he would be shocked that nothing has been done to get illegal immigration under control. He obviously wouldn’t offer amnesty to anyone but the DACA folks. He would be for that. 

Back in the 80’s, you’d compromise. I’ll give you amnesty for this many if you agree to take action that really seals the border. When he’d offer someone like that, it’s in the spirit of “OK, we’ll do this for these people and then we’ll have the border under control and it will be all about choosing legal immigrants to come in”. 

kat.jpg

This article is misleading, not surprising considering its the Washington Post. Trump would never tarnish Reagan's legacy publicly, but he knows Reagan made a bad deal and got duped big time by the democrats in Congress. Reagan offered amnesty in exchange for Congress to make it illegal for employers to hire illegal immigrants (as well as requiring employers to provide evidence of their employee's citizenship/immigration status) and increased border security....and in typical fashion they never held up their end of the bargain and Reagan gave up amnesty for basically nothing.

Funny how history repeats itself and Democrats once again want Trump to give up amnesty and then address border security...luckily he learned from Reagan's mistake of trusting Democrats. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

Just now, Joe from WY said:

So basically, post-Reagan amnesty. 

It's almost like...the amnesty encouraged more to come. 

Right. I’d be ok with granting legal status with no possibility of citizenship to those people who entered our country illegally but they don’t get the opportunity to apply for citizenship as a punishment for breaking our immigration laws.  Only DACA recipients should get a pathway to citizenship.  Children shouldn’t be punished for the crimes of their children.  But, after we adopt that we also outlaw sanctuary cities and have a zero tolerance policy towards people who enter our country illegally or over stay their visas.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 minute ago, mugtang said:

Right. I’d be ok with granting legal status with no possibility of citizenship to those people who entered our country illegally but they don’t get the opportunity to apply for citizenship as a punishment for breaking our immigration laws.  Only DACA recipients should get a pathway to citizenship.  Children shouldn’t be punished for the crimes of their children.  But, after we adopt that we also outlaw sanctuary cities and have a zero tolerance policy towards people who enter our country illegally or over stay their visas.  

I'd be ok with something like that too, as it solves an existing issue we definitely have to deal with. And I agree with your other proposals too, and really they've got to make penalties on the employers stiff, but also end the sanctuary city/state nonsense, and make entering the country illegally/overstaying the visa harshly punished and strongly enforced. 

12 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

I'd be ok with something like that too, as it solves an existing issue we definitely have to deal with. And I agree with your other proposals too, and really they've got to make penalties on the employers stiff, but also end the sanctuary city/state nonsense, and make entering the country illegally/overstaying the visa harshly punished and strongly enforced. 

I think a $10,000 fine for every illegal alien employed would dry up their jobs.  Also we would need to loosen the migrant visa worker program to allow temporary visas for those that want to work the fields.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 hour ago, mugtang said:

You are always going to have people who skirt the laws and find a way to get here.   It’s happened for years.   Quite frankly what person is a better future citizen of the US.

1) the person who passively waits for their chance and moves forward only when the government says they can.

2) the person who says +++++ that, I need to find a better way for my family if it means overcoming huge obstacles.   And then they are smart and resilient enough to do it.

getting here illegally and avoiding ICE is the 21st century equivalent of crossing the ocean in a small sailing ship.   The second people are the ones I want as future US citizens.   They not the first group exemplify the American Spirit.   

Quite frankly we should reduce our legal immigrant quota to accommodate these kind of people.  

7 hours ago, sactowndog said:

You are always going to have people who skirt the laws and find a way to get here.   It’s happened for years.   Quite frankly what person is a better future citizen of the US.

1) the person who passively waits for their chance and moves forward only when the government says they can.

2) the person who says +++++ that, I need to find a better way for my family if it means overcoming huge obstacles.   And then they are smart and resilient enough to do it.

getting here illegally and avoiding ICE is the 21st century equivalent of crossing the ocean in a small sailing ship.   The second people are the ones I want as future US citizens.   They not the first group exemplify the American Spirit.   

Quite frankly we should reduce our legal immigrant quota to accommodate these kind of people.  

Our immigration quotas should be based solely on the needs of the economy not based on how many people want to come here.  And I disagree about your example.  Not everybody benefits from being south of our border.  What about somebody who lives in Eastern Europe or Africa.  They can’t just hop the border and stay here.  They have a process to go through as should everybody else. We should not reward those who’s first act in our country is breaking our laws to get here. 

9 hours ago, bigd said:

The issue was minor back them. Massive illegal immigration didn't really begin until the 90s.

population-of-immigrants-in-the-country-illegally-2016.PNG

By the way, the numbers used in that graph are the typical numbers that the left liked to use. Of course, all of the folks at the Border Patrol and others have always known that the actual numbers are much higher. And a recent study found that the number of illegals in the US was much closer to 3 times the claimed 11 million. 

kat.jpg

40 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Our immigration quotas should be based solely on the needs of the economy not based on how many people want to come here.  And I disagree about your example.  Not everybody benefits from being south of our border.  What about somebody who lives in Eastern Europe or Africa.  They can’t just hop the border and stay here.  They have a process to go through as should everybody else. We should not reward those who’s first act in our country is breaking our laws to get here. 

They can and do cross the border if motivated.   And once hear it’s easier not to get caught.   We are a nation built on civil disobedience, we have a state called the sooners who all broke the law and snuck in early.    If they can subsist for 10-15 years, they have earned the right to legally stay though I agree not be citizens.   

21 hours ago, mugtang said:

I think a $10,000 fine for every illegal alien employed would dry up their jobs.  Also we would need to loosen the migrant visa worker program to allow temporary visas for those that want to work the fields.  

But wouldn't Trump get lots of fines then?

5 minutes ago, RamSack said:

But wouldn't Trump get lots of fines then?

:hmmm:

A guy I know has a bunch of low end rentals.  He loves renting to the people he presumes are illegals.  He said they pack a couple families in a small rental, but never cause any problems.  He said they pay cash on time, every month and never complain about anything.  He loves them as rentals.

On 1/24/2019 at 1:08 AM, mugtang said:

This is a reasonable solution. 

So it’ll obviously never happen 

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.