Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

renoskier

Fire Rice!

Rice is a huge upgrade over our last two coaches. We suck this year, but will be back next year. We will be a much more athletic team with Bereal and the UO transfer. Plus, more depth with three more redshirt freshmen available. 

The only thing missing is a solid post. Redshirt freshman Frazier may surprise. He has good offensive skills for a big man. 

8 minutes ago, IanforHeisman said:

Hobbs, Jessup, and what’s his name can play. The rest are terrible. 

That would be Alston the skinniest kid in D-1 basketball. Only a sophomore, add some weight and he is going to be a fine player before he is through. 

Just now, soupslam1 said:

That would be Alston the skinniest kid in D-1 basketball. Only a sophomore, add some weight and he is going to be a fine player before he is through. 

He’s really fun to watch. I’m not sure he’ll turn out like Hutch, but Hutch didn’t look like much as a sophomore either.

I have often wondered how good of a coach he really is. Look at the missed opportunities with guys like Marks,Webb and Hutch. There were some really good players around those guys also.   With not much to show for it!   Players like that probably should’ve yielded more results.

2 hours ago, Whatleyposse said:

I have often wondered how good of a coach he really is. Look at the missed opportunities with guys like Marks,Webb and Hutch. There were some really good players around those guys also.   With not much to show for it!   Players like that probably should’ve yielded more results.

He has his flaws and makes some bad decisions like most coaches, but I think he gets the most out of his talent. I disagree on the players around the good ones he has had. Most have been very average to poor role type players particularly at the power forward and post position. Defense has usually been the weakness of his teams as his tendency has been to recruit shooters. When they are on his teams look great like when they demolished Loyola Chicago last year. When they aren’t, not so much. 

He is kind of the Harsin of Boise State basketball as far as results (good but not great) except Harsin has better talent than the rest of the MWC. Still he is a vast improvement over Jensen and Graham whose teams played in the weaker Big West and WAC. IMO we are peaked out on coaching unless we are willing to pony up a lot more cash for a better one. And even that is a crap shoot. I can live with Rice after suffering through the last two coaching staffs. 

We also have to consider that our basketball budget is near the bottom of the MWC which limits our ability to recruit. 

Soupslam awesome points.  I would say that backcourt of Thompson drimic marks was pretty formidable. Then toss is Webb hutch and Austin pretty decent. You nailed the problem, no bigs.  The shooters always look good when the ball goes in. Boise state is soft and wants to shoot on perimeter. Anytime they play a physical team they get owned. We don’t have the talent to play inside out when shots aren’t falling. Also some coaching head scratchers like end of game strategy in big games throw the ball to marks or hutch and everyone watch. Setting for very tough iso shots

48 minutes ago, Whatleyposse said:

I think rice has done a decent job getting the ship pointed the right direction. I am afraid we have peaked. There is a ceiling on bsu basketball. Going to take something special to break through. 

I agree. Until we start getting some good bigs and overall team athleticism that the rest of the top MWC teams seem to be able to get, we won’t be able to raise the level of the program. Putting USUs post Queta on any of our recent good teams would have propelled us into the Dance and a great shot at winning some games. 

1 hour ago, BSU fan in Columbus said:

Harsin has finished in the top 25 3 times in 5 years been ranked in the top 25 every season Rice has not.

I have seen a lot of discussion on bsus basketball budget compared o the rest of the conference. Where do we rank compared to the rest of the conference on the football budget. If not at the top I would guess it is very close. 

4 hours ago, BSU fan in Columbus said:

HUH are you actually comparing Rice to Harsin? that's a terrible comparison when has rice been ranked in the polls or won big games and won almost 80 percent of his games.

Only in the fact that both have done very well, but neither has been elite. Harsin inherited a Top 25 program and has maintained that, but has not put us in the Top 10. Rice inherited a mediocre program and has won 20 games six times in eight years, but has not finished in the Top 25 nor won a game in the Dance. 

In short, both are good coaches, but not great coaches. I thought Bobby Dye and Chris Petersen were both great coaches. 

2 hours ago, Jalex4141 said:

I have seen a lot of discussion on bsus basketball budget compared o the rest of the conference. Where do we rank compared to the rest of the conference on the football budget. If not at the top I would guess it is very close. 

Yes, we have the top football budget in the MWC, but it hasn’t always been that way. The basketball budget has always been poor. 

23 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

We also have to consider that our basketball budget is near the bottom of the MWC which limits our ability to recruit. 

This is the major issue, which should increase given that attendance has been decent the last couple of years.  The budget as it is now is a result of dwindling attendance during the Graham era.