Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheSanDiegan

SDSU @ Fresno

31 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Weird that the Aztecs could play so well than play so poorly. The last few minutes of the first half were critical for Fresno State. They closed the gap from 20 down to 12 down and gave them some hope in the second half. Inconsistency is usually the mark of a young team (or a bad team). 

It's weird to see it once, but frustrating as f*ck to see it pretty much every other game.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

56 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Weird that the Aztecs could play so well than play so poorly. The last few minutes of the first half were critical for Fresno State. They closed the gap from 20 down to 12 down and gave them some hope in the second half. Inconsistency is usually the mark of a young team (or a bad team). 

Weird that the Bulldogs could play so poorly and then play so well:shrug:

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

The present team is still fairly talented but not well coached. Others will disagree but I think the main problem is the loss of Hutson and Shelton and the replacements' mediocrity.

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 hour ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Props to Aztecs who could actually watch this year's team live. As per usual, I TIVO'd it and despite knowing the result, will watch the replay tonight with a barf bag on my lap.

May I suggest a happy tissue for the first half and reserving the barf bag for the second? 

52 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Weird that the Bulldogs could play so poorly and then play so well:shrug:

Seriously, that first half was IMO largely attributed to a lockdown D as the Aztecs worked out their daddy issues following Hut and TES' departure. You could see they were visibly pissed, which is uncharacteristic of a team that has rooted it's recent culture in a workman-like, unemotional vibe. I personally miss the Days of Swag, of J-Frank and Winston beating their chests after an impact play. 

Wasn't it Wichita St. that carried the motto of "Play Angry" all the way to the Final Four? I see some of that in Mitchell's game, but until last night, never saw it in the squad as a whole. Germ is about as B-type personality on the court as I've ever seen... but the fire in his eyes last night made him look almost possessed - they and the bench emoted with a sense of vindication with every TO, with every basket, during that first half. They mad bro.

But all energy runs its course... when the Bulldogs came out en fuego to start the 2nd half, the Aztecs no longer had the emotion in the tank from which to draw, and reverted back to the meek Mr. Hyde they have shown themselves to be for entire halves or more of games.

6 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Seriously, that first half was IMO largely attributed to a lockdown D as the Aztecs worked out their daddy issues following Hut and TES' departure. You could see they were visibly pissed, which is uncharacteristic of a team that has rooted it's recent culture in a workman-like, unemotional vibe. I personally miss the Days of Swag, of J-Frank and Winston beating their chests after an impact play. 

Wasn't it Wichita St. that carried the motto of "Play Angry" all the way to the Final Four? I see some of that in Mitchell's game, but until last night, never saw it in the squad as a whole. Germ is about as B-type personality on the court as I've ever seen... but the fire in his eyes last night made him look almost possessed - they and the bench emoted with a sense of vindication with every TO, with every basket, during that first half. They mad bro.

But all energy runs its course... when the Bulldogs came out en fuego to start the 2nd half, the Aztecs no longer had the emotion in the tank from which to draw, and reverted back to the meek Mr. Hyde they have shown themselves to be for entire halves or more of games.

I think you’re spot on.  The Dogs couldn’t get anything even resembling a good shot off for the first 18 minutes.  There was always an Aztec or three in their face.  You could see the emotion they were playing with and reports from those up close was that there was a lot of shit talk going on, especially when they were dominating the game.  I think they ran out of that energy and emotion and tanked. 

23 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Ding ding ding ding ding. From today's U-T:

“I just wanted to win so bad, so bad,” Hemsley said. “I wanted to do everything I could to make them mad, make the players mad, make the whole staff mad, make the fans mad. It was just one of those games for me ... I’ve been thinking about this game since Hut decided to leave.”

LINK

47 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Ding ding ding ding ding. From today's U-T:

LINK

probably the nastiest part there is this one:

Jeremy Hemsley said one member of the Fresno State coaching staff shouted as the Aztecs raced to a 31-11 lead: “They can’t sustain, they don’t practice hard.”

that's....ouch.   

It was our best road performance to date.  It didn't end up in a win but it showed progress.  It was preceded by our best home performance to date. Not be be all rainbows and unicorns about it but any freshman/sophomore dominated squad is going to give uneven performances with very rare exception.

I've seen growth and progress and at this point that's what this season is all about. Let's hope it continues.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

6 hours ago, SDSUfan said:

It was our best road performance to date.  It didn't end up in a win but it showed progress.  It was preceded by our best home performance to date. Not be be all rainbows and unicorns about it but any freshman/sophomore dominated squad is going to give uneven performances with very rare exception.

I've seen growth and progress and at this point that's what this season is all about. Let's hope it continues.

This team has a high ceiling. If -- iff -- they can get their shit together and turn the corner, they're capable of winning 3, even 4 straight in Vegas.

Just now, soupslam1 said:

I guess I don’t get the acrimony because Hutson took a better job. Why would the Aztec players be mad about that? Or, is there something else that is going on since he left? 

the games have always been chippy, hutson just took it to the next level.    Even when SDSU was good RT's teams would always play them close and ugly.

1 minute ago, soupslam1 said:

I guess I don’t get the acrimony because Hutson took a better job. Why would the Aztec players be mad about that? Or, is there something else that is going on since he left? 

The article speaks to this to some degree.

Germ talks about how Hut was the one who recruited him, was the loudest voice at practice... Both Hut and TES were integral parts of the program during the zenith of its ascension - TES with his videos and swag, and Hut with his hard-ass discipline. There were bonds that were broken; the 'why' is secondary.

Remember - these are kids and (very) young men - they don't have the maturity to simply appreciate it from Hut's perspective. Combine that with the fact they're competitors and there nature is to seek a competitive advantage, and it shouldn't come as a surprise.

1 minute ago, TheSanDiegan said:

The article speaks to this to some degree.

Germ talks about how Hut was the one who recruited him, was the loudest voice at practice... Both Hut and TES were integral parts of the program during the zenith of its ascension - TES with his videos and swag, and Hut with his hard-ass discipline. There were bonds that were broken; the 'why' is secondary.

Remember - these are kids and (very) young men - they don't have the maturity to simply appreciate it from Hut's perspective. Combine that with the fact they're competitors and there nature is to seek a competitive advantage, and it shouldn't come as a surprise.

It sounds like Hutson was trying to make Hemsley a better player and he wasn’t  mature enough to recognize that. Speaking of Hemsley, when he was a freshman he looked like a future star. Not sure what happened, but he has not gotten better after the early promise he showed. He was a much better shooter as a freshman. Maybe having to carry the load after Shepard, Spencer, Polee etc left wore on him. 

4 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

It sounds like Hutson was trying to make Hemsley a better player and he wasn’t  mature enough to recognize that. Speaking of Hemsley, when he was a freshman he looked like a future star. Not sure what happened, but he has not gotten better after the early promise he showed. He was a much better shooter as a freshman. Maybe having to carry the load after Shepard, Spencer, Polee etc left wore on him. 

Yes, immature young men don't tend to be mature. That's why they're immature. :huh:

10 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Living in L.A., I never attend more than 1-2 basketball games per season so just see what I can see on TV. As such, I'll defer to closer followers if they think I'm wrong about this.

I recall hearing at some point, and think it was before Hemsley's sophomore year, that the staff wanted him to drive the lane more. That made sense to me because he clearly had the athleticism to do so successfully and I anticipated him becoming the next Xavier Thames. However, unlike X, when he does so, Hemsley gets out of control half the time. I love the kid's effort but agree with you that he hasn't improved in three years.

Boom goes the dynamite.