Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

New Mexico at UNLV

7 minutes ago, VincentVegaBond said:

Dam, we're going to miss his minutes!

I know, I just feel bad for him, he loves being here, but has spent most of his time injured. IIRC he does have a nice 3 point shot.. not sure how good he would be, but I wish he could get the chance. 

Completely surprised at UNM this year, blew the doors off Reno this year then get swept by UNLV. 

I think the key was Robotham playing a much slower guard. It’s easier to pass and shoot against a slow guard like Mathis and obviously easier to defend. 

Hopefully we can pull off an upset or two in this stretch of games, maybe make some noise at the MWCT. Dunno if it’ll be enough to save Menzies.  

4 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

Side note... I think the Lobos should wear turquoise ALL the time. They are the only ones in the country that could use that as their primary color and get away with it, it's perfect for New Mexico.

Gosh dangit yes. Been saying this for a while now. The yellow ones too.

3 hours ago, alum93 said:

Congrats to Menzies and UNLV.  Great start for MWC play.  So i take it he isn't being fired after this year?  :P

We'll see where he stands after the next 5 games, our schedule gets incredibly more difficult. If we go 2-3 or better, I'll be impressed.

48 minutes ago, Amaru523 said:

We'll see where he stands after the next 5 games, our schedule gets incredibly more difficult. If we go 2-3 or better, I'll be impressed.

I hear ya... ESPN has us with a 27% chance to beat STDSU and that'll be one of our "easier" ones of the next 5.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

2 hours ago, Rosegreen said:

Completely surprised at UNM this year, blew the doors off Reno this year then get swept by UNLV. 

I think the key was Robotham playing a much slower guard. It’s easier to pass and shoot against a slow guard like Mathis and obviously easier to defend. 

Hopefully we can pull off an upset or two in this stretch of games, maybe make some noise at the MWCT. Dunno if it’ll be enough to save Menzies.  

Not sure Menzies is on the hot seat other than by short fused fans 

15 minutes ago, Jaredcg said:

Credit to UNLV for taking care of business with the early easy schedule. Will know a lot about this team in the next 5.

757EF0F7-5397-4FA5-9C4F-BF23CF070D67.jpeg

If UNLV can win at UNM, they can win at SDSU 

Loss vs Nevada unless a literal miracle happens & Rebs catch fire shooting

Don't see UNLV beating USU in Logan, a lot would have to go right

Going into Boise isn't an impossible to win 

Fresno St at home could also be a win

Best case scenario would be Win at SDSU, Loss vs NV, Loss at USU, Win at BSU, Win vs FSU = 3-2 record

Though with this UNLV team, the next five could go 5-0 or 0-5, but thinking 2-3 or 3-2 is most likely outcome - let's not forget this is the MWC and as we've seen pretty much anything can and could happen 

STAT OF THE GAME: UNLV made 14 3-pointers. The Runnin' Rebels shot 56 percent from behind the arc (14 of 25).

RUNNIN' REBEL OF THE GAME: Blair was 9 of 14 from the field and made 4 of 6 3-pointers, while pulling down six rebounds.

THE TURNING POINT: UNLV used a 21-4 run in the first half to turn a six-point deficit (14-8) into an 11-point lead (29-18) with just under four minutes to play. The Runnin' Rebels led by as many as 15 in the first half.

NOTES: 
- The Runnin' Rebels overcame a slow start as they made just 1 of 10 field goals to begin the game.
- UNLV improved to 20-11 all-time at home vs. New Mexico.
- UNLV's last 5-1 start in MW play was in 2011-12.
- Sophomore forward Mbacke Diong missed his third straight game because of an injury suffered at New Mexico on Jan. 8
- Ntambwe scored just five points, ending his double-figure scoring streak at 10 games. He collected a team-high 11 rebounds.
- UNLV was just 10 of 23 from the free-throw line for a season-low 43.5 percent.
- UNLV scored 23 points off New Mexico's 14 turnovers, while UNM managed just two off UNLV's 11.
- UNLV has made at least one 3-pointer in a NCAA-record 1,057 straight games.

NEXT FOR THE RUNNIN' REBELS: UNLV will head back out on the road this weekend and play at San Diego State on Saturday, Jan. 26 at 5 p.m. The game will be televised on CBS Sports Network.

2 minutes ago, roughrider said:

Definitely not impossible.  At the current rate of decline, SJSU will give Boise a run in Boise. 

yeah - weird year for most of the MWC.

Seems teams get up for UNR, then they revert into spastic convulsions for the rest of the MWC teams and you can't tell how any game might go 

2 hours ago, toonkee said:

Gosh dangit yes. Been saying this for a while now. The yellow ones too.

When I first glanced at the yellow ones on my phone I didn’t even think they had numbers lol. I thought something must have happened to their real ones and they had to wear practice jerseys. They weren’t my favorite, but I really like the turquoise ones..

22 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

If UNLV can win at UNM, they can win at SDSU 

Loss vs Nevada unless a literal miracle happens & Rebs catch fire shooting

Don't see UNLV beating USU in Logan, a lot would have to go right

Going into Boise isn't an impossible to win 

Fresno St at home could also be a win

Best case scenario would be Win at SDSU, Loss vs NV, Loss at USU, Win at BSU, Win vs FSU = 3-2 record

Though with this UNLV team, the next five could go 5-0 or 0-5, but thinking 2-3 or 3-2 is most likely outcome - let's not forget this is the MWC and as we've seen pretty much anything can and could happen 

The SDSU and Boise games are the only ones I see us having a chance in. Although we've lost 7 of the last 8 vs Boise and haven't won there since 2012 (5 straight losses on the road).

I guess they could get up for Reno at home, but I don't see it happening.

Utah St. on the road won't end well.  As UNLV coach, Menzies is 0-2 in Logan with both losses being by double digits and Utah St. is top 3 in the MW.

We haven't beat Fresno since 2015, lost 6 in row to them.

I see 1-4, but 0-5 wouldn't shock me.