Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

New Mexico at UNLV

48 minutes ago, qwelish said:

Big big win. If UNLV can get the win at suds, which I highly doubt, but if they can that is huge. 

UNLV could be a dark horse to win the Mountain West Conference tournament.

No reason why we can’t win at San Diego State.

6 minutes ago, qwelish said:

Is it just me, or should Marvin start Blair from here on out?

Or at least until the end of this season? He should definitely start over JTT without question.

Not necessary. Just keep starting JTT. Blair can still play more minutes and he can give a spark off the bench.  

8 minutes ago, qwelish said:

Is it just me, or should Marvin start Blair from here on out?

Or at least until the end of this season? He should definitely start over JTT without question.

Not sure Blair should start unless there's injury - Think UNLV needs the length to open the game that Ntambwe & JTT give - Beck was supposedly the next to fill in for those two, but now it looks like Blair has that role 

If I'm MM I think I go with what he's been doing, plugging in guys in situations based on the flow, the opponent and the state of the game. Like tonight Woodbury got a good run and did pretty well.......Blair was lights out & answered the call.

Have to give credit to Robotham - I was down on him during the non-conference schedule but for the most part in MWC play he's taken it to another level & he's been a MAJOR reason UNLV sits at 5-1 

Just now, UNLV2001 said:

Side note - Tonight was probably the Rebels worst night at the FT line in MWC play - barely over 50% 

Totally.  Rebs could have have won by another 6-8 points for the same price. 

5 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Not necessary. Just keep starting JTT. Blair can still play more minutes and he can give a spark off the bench.  

Why do that  instead of just starting him? I think JTT should maybe fall out of the rotation with Diong going to back up Center for the spark.

Also a center by committee could be a thing with those 3. 

2 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Not sure Blair should start unless there's injury - Think UNLV needs the length to open the game that Ntambwe & JTT give - Beck was supposedly the next to fill in for those two, but now it looks like Blair has that role 

If I'm MM I think I go with what he's been doing, plugging in guys in situations based on the flow, the opponent and the state of the game. Like tonight Woodbury got a good run and did pretty well.......Blair was lights out & answered the call.

Have to give credit to Robotham - I was down on him during the non-conference schedule but for the most part in MWC play he's taken it to another level & he's been a MAJOR reason UNLV sits at 5-1 

The season is long with many twists, turns and developments. Speculating and judging early in the season is something we all engage in but in the end you just never know.

Just now, qwelish said:

Why do that  instead of just starting him? I think JTT should maybe fall out of the rotation with Diong going to back up Center for the spark. 

JTT has 3.5 years left at UNLV Blair 1.5 - Leave JTT where he is - JTT gets into foul trouble quickly so it's nice to have DIong, Beck & Blair as potions now - Blair is going to have some issues against opponents with bigger front lines  and Blair is the guy when MM goes to the small lineup 

Best thing MM has is the depth of the bench and how the little used end of bench guys have responded when called on 

4 minutes ago, toonkee said:

The season is long with many twists, turns and developments. Speculating and judging early in the season is something we all engage in but in the end you just never know.

Yep - Juiston & Dembele out for the year and who was going to fill the post positions ?!?! Then here comes Blair from literally out of nowhere, can't count on those things but you take them when they happen 

Then factor in that Diong & JTT pick up fouls pretty fast.........that alone will guarantee Blair minutes the rest of the way - Need Beck to get something going 

5 minutes ago, qwelish said:

Also a center by committee could be a thing with those 3. 

Nice problem to have right now.

1 minute ago, UNLV2001 said:

JTT has 3.5 years left at UNLV Blair 1.5 - Leave JTT where he is - JTT gets into foul trouble quickly so it's nice to have DIong, Beck & Blair as potions now - Blair is going to have some issues against opponents with bigger front lines  and Blair is the guy when MM goes to the small lineup 

Best thing MM has is the depth of the bench and how the little used end of bench guys have responded when called on 

The line up with JTT was a big reason the team started off in a huge funk offensively. What did they score 3 points nearly 5 minutes into the game?

Inserting Blair started those two runs that broke the game. I dont think you want to spot teams 4 minutes of unchallenged scoring just to get JTT on first. 

Get the best line up on the floor and search through your deep bench if things arent going well with Blair. 

Us 3 have different reasoning on this. Nothing wrong with that. It's great to have Blair emerge in this way. He plays the role that Caroline plays for reno. 

I think Menzies should ride this Blair lineup while its good.

2 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Yep - Juiston & Dembele out for the year and who was going to fill the post positions ?!?! Then here comes Blair from literally out of nowhere, can't count on those things but you take them when they happen 

Then factor in that Diong & JTT pick up fouls pretty fast.........that alone will guarantee Blair minutes the rest of the way - Need Beck to get something going 

To have a walk on contribute a 25 point game and to have gotten better each game he's played in over a short stretch says a lot about the caliber of walk on Menzies has recruited. 

Menzies was asked about it in the post game, and paid a tribute to the level of basketball being played in Las Vegas and the love Las Vegans have for UNLV.

4 minutes ago, qwelish said:

To have a walk on contribute a 25 point game and to have gotten better each game he's played in over a short stretch says a lot about the caliber of walk on Menzies has recruited. 

Menzies was asked about it in the post game, and paid a tribute to the level of basketball being played in Las Vegas and the love Las Vegans have for UNLV.

Between UNLV's local trio of Robotham, Blair & Woodbury..........and Fresno St's Grimes & Bittner.........LV HS talent had a good night in the MWC

12 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Man, I think there was somebody earlier today saying that Marvin failed at recruiting because walk-ons were playing significant minutes.  Who was that?

Well considering a walk-on, non-starting front court player came in and outscored all guards. And a one year sr walk on PG has started every game. 

I'd say the impact of missing on recruits has been with guards. 

I dont think Menzies is a bad recruiter. I think Marvin's approach has been slow and he's had too many misses. So it's taking him too long. 

No way to know for sure what sort of impact the guys coming in will make. 

But there is certainly reason for optimism. How much, I dont know.

4 hours ago, toonkee said:

Man, I think there was somebody earlier today saying that Marvin failed at recruiting because walk-ons were playing significant minutes.  Who was that?

Who was it that said that? Was it you?