Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

New Mexico at UNLV

3 hours ago, toonkee said:

Are Lobos still full speed ahead committed to playing zone?

Their zone looked really bad against us. 

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

10 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

Nick Blair has grabbed 20 rebounds in his last two games

Robotham is the Runnin’ Rebel assist leader (4.3 apg), ranking fifth in the MWNick Blair has grabbed 20 rebounds in his last two gamesIn MWC play Robotham is averaging 6.6 assists per game

Nick Blair has been UNLV's leading rebound in the last two games

9 hours ago, VincentVegaBond said:

Robotham really kicked butt and looked confident out there. As god-awful as our overall shooting looked early in the season, I figured they had to improve from it and they have shown greatly improved outside shooting recent games. Granted can't take much from that game because of the competition but it was fun to watch!

6 hours ago, qwelish said:

He just face guarded him all game. Coleman did the same thing and they both did very well playing that role.

In conference play UNLV has three walk-ons making significant contributions.

• Robotham is averaging 31.8 minutes, 6.2 assists, and 10.2 points.
  • Blair is averaging 17.0 minutes, 7.0 rebounds, and 5.3 points (he has only played in 3 of the 5 MWC games)
  • Coleman is averaging 5.5 minutes (he has played in 4 of the 5 MWC games).

What does this say about where the program is?

5 hours ago, BleedRebelRed said:

• Blair is averaging 17.0 minutes, 7.0 rebounds, and 5.3 points (he has only played in 3 of the 5 MWC games)

For the frontcourt, there is a legit reason. A rash of serious injuries.

For the backcourt there is no excuse. There are no injuries. This screams underacheiving recruiting.

There is not enough talent at the guard positions on this team. Next season the backcourt will be crowded. To be fair Curtis Terry walked on and played for Lon. 

9 hours ago, SDSUfan said:

Their zone looked really bad against us. 

I don’t understand why Weir decided his team can’t play man defense anymore! He’s gone totally zone now, and just like the zone, teams will figure out how you play it and adjust. Weir needs to pick several defenses during a course of the a game and adjust as needed... including playing man defense every now and then.

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

2 hours ago, LoboMan59 said:

I don’t understand why Weir decided his team can’t play man defense anymore! He’s gone totally zone now, and just like the zone, teams will figure out how you play it and adjust. Weir needs to pick several defenses during a course of the a game and adjust as needed... including playing man defense every now and then.

That zone sure does look like it was fool's gold those first few games.  I'm with you, time to at least mix it up a bit.

8 hours ago, BleedRebelRed said:

2 hours ago, qwelish said:

For the frontcourt, there is a legit reason. A rash of serious injuries.

For the backcourt there is no excuse. There are no injuries. This screams underacheiving recruiting.

There is not enough talent at the guard positions on this team. Next season the backcourt will be crowded. To be fair Curtis Terry walked on and played for Lon. 

Eh...he's had two years to legit recruit after the program hit rock bottom.

Front court...MM has recruited the hell out of it. McD's AA, Juco POY, grand larceny in Ntambwe. 

Backcourt...Robo is not a walk-on, in the traditional sense in that he's just some guy that's on the end of the bench to keep team GPA up and guard guys in practice.  He was a freebee that didn't need a scholarship. And he's playing pretty well now that he and Hardy are playing pg by committee. Getting Robo and not losing a scholly is very good recruiting.  Hardy is getting pretty good. We all see the potential in Hamilton but...freshman that takes hero shots. He needs to learn to play within himself and the O. Coleman is getting some of his minutes because Menzies knows he's not going to do a whole lot positive, but not screw up either. If Hamilton would stop auditioning for the NBA we'd see him a lot more.

40 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Eh...he's had two years to legit recruit after the program hit rock bottom.

Front court...MM has recruited the hell out of it. McD's AA, Juco POY, grand larceny in Ntambwe. 

Backcourt...Robo is not a walk-on, in the traditional sense in that he's just some guy that's on the end of the bench to keep team GPA up and guard guys in practice.  He was a freebee that didn't need a scholarship. And he's playing pretty well now that he and Hardy are playing pg by committee. Getting Robo and not losing a scholly is very good recruiting.  Hardy is getting pretty good. We all see the potential in Hamilton but...freshman that takes hero shots. He needs to learn to play within himself and the O. Coleman is getting some of his minutes because Menzies knows he's not going to do a whole lot positive, but not screw up either. If Hamilton would stop auditioning for the NBA we'd see him a lot more.

Agree - Can't overly complain about MM's recruiting in two years of big guys......McCoy was a "GET", Jusiton was a good get and as you said Ntambwe might be the steal of the year in MWC recruiting.

Guard recruiting has been more mundane - Hamilton came in with good accolades, but he's been nothing overly special........Woodbury has been less than expected...........Robotham is a one season band-aid like Jordan Johnson was last season.........Hardy could be legit as he's got more raw ability than the others at this time

And as for the walk-on's looks like Menzies is taking guys who CAN help if and when needed and not just a warm body to fill out a practice and bring the GPA up 

3 hours ago, LoboMan59 said:

He seemed to mix zone and man against Wyoming...was at the game.  Much better defense (and I get it was against Wyoming) but they played better as a whole the entire game.

Nothing to really say here.....except GO MWC!!

1 hour ago, Chile_Ute said:

He seemed to mix zone and man against Wyoming...was at the game.  Much better defense (and I get it was against Wyoming) but they played better as a whole the entire game.

When the other team is simply overmatched due to injuries,  everything looks better.  Wyoming just doesn't have the players this year.  UNLV got great looks the entire second half of UNM game in Albq.  Will be interesting to see what adjustments are made in zone, or if a mix of man and zone is utilized.  Overall,  athleticism and talent looked on par to me in first game.

Thanks @Chile_Ute, I’m st worknin Alaska, so I missed the Wyo game, and this one and and a couple more, until I get home Feb 9th.

inhave root sprits up here, but not cbssn so it’s tuning into the radio for me until then.

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

Credit goes to Menzies for being able to get better players to walk on recently, than he was able to get in the first recruiting class.

Bangai, Coleman and Noah are not your typical walk-ons. They are all legit D-1 players who could have gotten scholarships.

I think Bangai is a legit high major about as good as Diong, and better than Dembele and JTT. If Juis comes back I could see a JTT redshirt.

Clyburn is the only one who gets minutes from that first class, unfortunately the class will live on with Dembele next season.

As it stands, Diong and Amauri are the only guys getting minutes from the highly ranked McCoy class. The line up would be almost all from that class if Juis was not injured.

The rest  are new players.

2 hours ago, toonkee said:

We all see the potential in Hamilton but...freshman that takes hero shots. He needs to learn to play within himself and the O. Coleman is getting some of his minutes because Menzies knows he's not going to do a whole lot positive, but not screw up either. If Hamilton would stop auditioning for the NBA we'd see him a lot more.

Wow I see that a bit differently. I dont think Hamilton's shot selection has been that bad at all. I also dont think he's not on the floor because of his shots, it's his turnovers. The game looked way fast for him to start the season. He's been a lot better and under control in this latter part of the season. Hamilton is playing fewer minutes than Amauri and Beck did last season. Woodbury is playing about the minutes that Dembele and Diong played last year. But this team is a lot deeper than last seasons team was because of the walk-ons. 

I think Coleman is getting Woodbury's minutes.  Coleman has been better with defensive pressure and attention to detail. Woodbury is an offensive player who needs to learn a bit more about team defense. I dont think he's horrible like some here, but his attention to detail is off a bit. The game has also looked a bit fast for him, but not as much as it did for Hamilton. Hamilton shot the ball better than Woodbury to start off and didnt start off hurt. I don't think Woodbury is just a spot up shooter. Hes got all around game, can get to the basket and finish. He dunked and went to the basket a lot at Clark, he's 6-4. He's also a good ball handler. 

It's going to be hard to not Amauri next year. The other guard positions look up for grabs. Would not be surprised to see an Ethan / Amauri starting back court next season.

48 minutes ago, alum93 said:

When the other team is simply overmatched due to injuries,  everything looks better.  Wyoming just doesn't have the players this year.  UNLV got great looks the entire second half of UNM game in Albq.  Will be interesting to see what adjustments are made in zone, or if a mix of man and zone is utilized.  Overall,  athleticism and talent looked on par to me in first game.

Agree.  It was the first time I remember seeing Weir use man....just an observation.

Nothing to really say here.....except GO MWC!!

1 hour ago, alum93 said:

Also, UNLV shot lights out that game. Rebs have been shooting a lot better as of late, but I am not betting on UNLV, and specifically Clyburn #1, shooting the way they did at unm. 

I expect unm to pound it inside all game this game and play inside outside. 

Defensively, with both teams playing sort of fast, UNLV will get its shots. The question is will UNLV make the shots.

UNM will look different tonight than they did in the first match-up.

Lobos will mix their defense with some man sprinkled in and very little full court pressure.

Offensively, Mathis will not play the point as much as true point Keith McGee (6'3 Soph) has picked up minutes and has done well.

I look for a different Lobos' team tonight and a different outcome.