Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rebelbacker

Bad week for the media

2 minutes ago, Rebels18 said:

The only real race-based disrespect came from the Black Hebrews, and what else do you have to say about Nathan Phillips for his mischaracterizations/inconsistencies presented in his story that he told CNN  vs. what the video evidence portrayed?

1. The Covington kids were in DC for the March for Life, they were waiting at the bus stop at the Lincoln Memorial to take them home. The Black Hebrew Israelites were at the Lincoln Memorial to protest. Nathan Phillips and his party were passing through from an Indigenous People's March. 

2. The Black Hebrew Israelites notice the student's MAGA hats and approach to verbally harass them. Calling them "f*ggots, dusty ass crackers, products of incest, school shooters, etc" 

3. Convington students huddle up and start chanting school spirit songs to drown out the Black Hebrews. Nathan Phillips notices the racial harassment and outright bigotry of the confrontation and its provocateurs and springs into action to deescalate the situation by...... walking right past the Black Hebrews and work his way to the middle of the group of students to chant and beat his drum. (Why single them out?)

4. Convington students (who were already singing and chanting school songs) focus their attention on Phillips and immaturely join in on his chanting. I personally don't see a problem with this, high schoolers are immature assholes by nature. But, Phillips is an (alleged) veteran and elderly Native American....they *should of* gave way and either ignored him or stopped. (Even though he entered their space in the first place and under normal circumstances if 1 adult invades the space of a group of 20-30+ children....the 1 adult should be the one to move.)

5. Social Media and the MSM sensationalizes 2~ minutes of the event and paints the Convington students as racist bigots who swarmed and racially harassed a elderly Native American man for merely existing. 

The Black Hebrews are at fault for the situation in the first place, why didn't Phillips confront them? Why did Phillips defend them over the students? This is what Phillips said about the students/Black Hebrews: 

"Oh, what I was witnessing was just hate? Racism? Well, hate. What I'm saying is that when these folks came there, these other folks were saying their piece, and these others they got offended with it because they were both just expressing their own views. And if it's racism, that's what it was because the folks that were having their moment there, they were saying things that I don't know if I agreed with them or not, but some of it was educational, and it was truth, and it was history about religious views and ideologies, but these other folks, the young students, they couldn't see it. They had one point of view, it seemed, and that was that their point of view was the only point of view that was worthwhile. And that's now what I was feeling"

"It looked like these young men were going to attack these guys. They were going to hurt them. They were going to hurt them because they didn't like the color of their skin. They didn't like their religious views.....and here are American youth who are ready to, look like, lynch these guys. To be honest, they looked like they were going to lynch them. They were in this mob mentality."

Nathan Phillips was either very confused or is an outright liar for portraying the Black Hebrews as innocent prey just expressing their religious views and 1st Amendment Rights (calling the kids white crackers and f*ggots) and that the students were behaving like a racist lynch mob and as a result the entire high school is shutdown and kids are receiving death threats. Who is the real victim here? 

I'll read the post in its entirety later, but fwiw, I agree that no one was even as remotely disrespectful as the Black Israelites.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

4 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

You still can't admit that your initial reaction to the incident was wrong?

I did so on the original thread not long before it was locked.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Younger men who have never raised a child criticizing those of us in whose shoes they therefore cannot stand concerning our opinion of that HS junior's action and whether it should be condoned is neither hilarious nor pathetic but it is ignorant.

Boom goes the dynamite.

8 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Very thoughtful and even-handed opinion piece on the Covington students/Indian elder episode. We should all read it IMO. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/21/opinion/covington-march-for-life.html

The comments though...le sigh. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

16 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

4 minutes ago, jackmormon said:

There is a subtle difference between that and the hand sign the alt right flashers. 

Read TSD’s link I quoted above.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 hour ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Younger men who have never raised a child criticizing those of us in whose shoes they therefore cannot stand concerning our opinion of that HS junior's action and whether it should be condoned is neither hilarious nor pathetic but it is ignorant.

Not as pathetic as a parent calling for a teenager to have the shit beat out of him like you did in the other thread. 

1 hour ago, jackmormon said:

There is a subtle difference between that and the hand sign the alt right flashers. 

That supposed alt right hand sign is a stupid game we used to play as young Marines. It goes like this, put out the circle and when someone looks he gets punched in the chest or the arm. It's a stupid game, but it broke up the hurry up and wait monotony. It's not some secret handshake or crazy ass group sign.

21 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Interesting coming from the NYT which is as quick to spread propaganda as most.  

Brooks is on staff. He’s an old-fashioned Republican. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

20 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

I didn’t look at those...

You’re better off 

1 hour ago, Joe from WY said:

Not as pathetic as a parent calling for a teenager to have the shit beat out of him like you did in the other thread. 

Here's an idea.

Why don't you stop with the nonstop assailment of the character of myself and other posters for something that you continue to increasingly cite out of context (and despite SFG's acknowledgment of the same) all while refusing to so much as attempt to broaden your own understanding of the context in which said sentiments were expressed? 

The irony is almost as remarkable as the hypocrisy.

7 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Here's an idea.

Why don't you stop with the nonstop assailment of the character of myself and other posters for something that you continue to increasingly cite out of context (and despite SFG's acknowledgment of the same) all while refusing to so much as attempt to broaden your own understanding of the context in which said sentiments were expressed? 

The irony is almost as remarkable as the hypocrisy.

Your quotes were pretty clear about the kid should be curb stomped. You left yourself open to criticism. 

8 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Your quotes were pretty clear about the kid should be curb stomped. You left yourself open to criticism. 

Who really cares though? Liberals talk about "curb stomping",  "splitting wigs" or "punching" conservatives online all the time.

What really matters is what happens when they try to act on these emotions in the real world:

Image result for antifa gets knocked out gif

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

18 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Incorrectomundo. What I said was I've spent the last two years working through the urge to curb stomp racist MAGAs for shit like that. And that's the truth. I don't run away from it.

And I stand behind what I said that IMO I do think that kid deserves to get his ass kicked. Let it be another kid to do it ffs. :shrug:

And after reading his 2 1/2 page statement written by his parents and/or their attorney, in which he plays every card in the deck except the one that contained anything even remotely resembling an apology, and after watching all the video to provide the context of the events, I still maintain he's a punk-ass little entitled douche who knew exactly what the f*ck he was doing by fronting the old man.

When the Biggest Assholes of the Day Award winner - the Black Israelites - starting tearing into the kids with their hate-based bullshit (f*ck them too), the kids should have not engaged.  Engaging them with a chant was a provocation, and frankly, dangerous given the circumstances... especially considering they were showcasing the Spring 2019 MAGA catalog. Where the f*ck were the chaperones? And what the f*ck were they thinking?

They are kids. At the risk of overgeneralizing, they do not possess the judgment nor the maturity required to execute the proper judgment in that situation. 

And that goes both ways, as while we tend to excuse behaviors in kids we would not in adults, that very same absence of maturity and judgment can lend itself to a higher degree of volatility and potential danger in any emotionally-charged situation.

Had I been there and seen that shit all unfold, I would have instinctively inserted myself in between the kid and the old man, and berated the former for his lack of respect. What happens after that is anybody's guess, though as much as I would have liked to smack that smirk off his face I would have refrained from doing so. But that does not impede nor diminish my sentiment.