Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rebelbacker

Bad week for the media

Between the Buzzfeed nonsense and now the truth coming out about the real story of what happened with the Kentucky high school kids in DC the media sure had a great week. More examples of trying to set a narrative and not the truth. It’s comical any of you still believe the media isn’t biased. 

Its also pathetic the actions of adults against the kids from Kentucky. Doxxing, threats of violence and banning from social media of these kids right after this came out was a complete rush to judgement and fit what those people wanted to see.

Even more predictable was the reaction of some people on this board to the story. Of course the MAGA hat wearing kid was evil in your eyes. You people are constantly being played by the media and you are too stupid to see it. You rush to judgment in every anti-Trump story and you see everyone who doesn’t agree with you as evil. To you every Trump supporter is a Nazi and deserves to get punched or curb stomped according to some of you. It’s sad you don’t see how foolish and hypocritical you are. 

Unfortunately, media is biased toward it's audience and making money.  Always has been and always will.  The "news" wants us to feel, not understand or know. The "right" media is as guilty of this tactic as anyone.  

Also, most of the MAGA kids bad/Nathan Phillips good narrative was pushed and started through social media, which I think we can all agree is 95% mind poison and will destroy us all.  But now "the news" gets its cues from social media and disseminates its info through it.  It's a gossip circle with a 1000 megaphones. God help us all.

I admitted I fell for the initial report because it was so ugly and it made me feel so angry.  I'm going to learn a lesson from this and try and put my outrage on pause for a day or two until I can see more facts and thoughts come in for me to digest.

12 hours ago, toonkee said:

Unfortunately, media is biased toward it's audience and making money.  Always has been and always will.  The "news" wants us to feel, not understand or know. The "right" media is as guilty of this tactic as anyone.  

Also, most of the MAGA kids bad/Nathan Phillips good narrative was pushed and started through social media, which I think we can all agree is 95% mind poison and will destroy us all.  But now "the news" gets its cues from social media and disseminates its info through it.  It's a gossip circle with a 1000 megaphones. God help us all.

I admitted I fell for the initial report because it was so ugly and it made me feel so angry.  I'm going to learn a lesson from this and try and put my outrage on pause for a day or two until I can see more facts and thoughts come in for me to digest.

Some people can't see the forest for the trees being in the way.

You make your emotionally crippled decisions on feelings, the leftist media loves that shit because they don't have to talk about facts.   Projecting that on everyone else is just your bias.

35 minutes ago, toonkee said:

This is why I’ve said you’re a good cat Toonkee. Similarly, I’ve also pulled the trigger too quickly on a hot topic event without taking the time for the facts or full story to come to light. It’s really easy to do nowadays for the exact reasons you listed above. Following your lead and example, I too will make a better effort to hold back until more information is available. Thank you for having the intellectual honesty to post this. Hats off to you. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

28 minutes ago, toonkee said:

You’re a good egg, toonkee (even if you’re a UNLV fan but hey nobody is perfect). 

You’re right about social media. What was once a place to share pictures with your friends and family has descended into a cesspool of suck.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Hey, mugtang, didn't you lock the pissing match thread involving the Washington Monument mess?

I ask because I'm fully ready to begin the fun all over again here if that's what the guys on the other side are wont to do as at least one apparently does.

And BTW, as I've always said, this is your board and I think you do an excellent job with it and locking that thread when you did was an example of that.

Boom goes the dynamite.

16 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Hey, mugtang, didn't you lock the pissing match thread involving the Washington Monument mess?

I ask because I'm fully ready to begin the fun all over again here if that's what the guys on the other side are wont to do as at least one apparently does.

And BTW, as I've always said, this is your board and I think you do an excellent job with it and locking that thread when you did was an example of that.

I did because I descended into stupidity.  But as Toonkee pointed out, the truth of what happened wasn’t what was initially presented that caused all the outrage.  But Rebelbacker is right that the media got it wrong because they were following the blood thirsty social media outrage mob.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 hour ago, toonkee said:

That was a great read. Thanks for sharing :cheers:

5 minutes ago, mugtang said:

I did because I descended into stupidity.  But as Toonkee pointed out, the truth of what happened wasn’t what was initially presented that caused all the outrage.  But Rebelbacker is right that the media got it wrong because they were following the blood thirsty social media outrage mob.  

and that the only racism that really occurred at the scene was actually directed towards the kids

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

2 minutes ago, Rebels18 said:

and that the only racism that really occurred at the scene was actually directed towards the kids

They were also saying nasty things to the Native Americans that were there before those kids even showed up. 

19 minutes ago, mugtang said:

They were also saying nasty things to the Native Americans that were there before those kids even showed up. 

Well, thank you for pointing that out too so as to implicitly acknowledge that the Native American with his drum wasn't the sole culprit here contrary to others, I still think his intent was to try to diffuse the situation. I definitely don't see his cohort as being such a participant since that guy's mocking comments to the students was just as racist as the tomahawk chops and the Indian-like whoops which some of them were making. Then there were the taunts from the Black Israelites or whatever they were calling themselves.:rolleyes: And I used to think Louis Farrakhan was a nut job bigot.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Just now, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Well, thank you for pointing that out too so as to implicitly acknowledge that the Native American with his drum wasn't the sole culprit here and contrary to others, I still think his intent was to try to diffuse the situation. I definitely don't see his cohort as being such a participant since that guy's mocking comments to the students was just as racist as the tomahawk chops and the Indian-like whoops which some of them were making. Then there were the taunts from the Black Israelites or whatever they were calling themselves.:rolleyes: And I used to think Louis Farrakhan was a nut job bigot.

This is one of those situations where many people made serious mistakes.  But the outrage was initially directed at the teenagers only when the reality is much more complex than that.  

35 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Funny how Phillips took their side in his interview with CNN. (and even misled them by saying the students were retaliating with the Black Israelites with racist remarks of their own even though video evidence disputes that)---But then again, the media also flat-out lied and say he was just standing there and the students surrounded him when video evidence surfaced that he had walked towards the students and put himself in the middle of the crowd. Too many inconsistencies to count at this point. 

---------------

CNN: Were you trying to calm the situation down basically when you saw kind of things seemed to spiral out of control?
Phillips: I think so. I think that was the push, that we need to use the drum, use our prayer and bring a balance, bring a calming to the situation. I didn't assume that I had any kind of power to do that, but at the same time, I didn't feel that I could just stand there anymore and not do something. It looked like these young men were going to attack these guys. They were going to hurt them. They were going to hurt them because they didn't like the color of their skin. They didn't like their religious views. They were just here in front of the Lincoln -- Lincoln is not my hero, but at the same time, there was this understanding that he brought the (Emancipation Proclamation) or freed the slaves, and here are American youth who are ready to, look like, lynch these guys. To be honest, they looked like they were going to lynch them. They were in this mob mentality. Where were their parents? Because they were obvious a student group. Where were their--
CNN: Chaperones?
Phillips: Yeah, chaperones. Where were they? What were they doing? Why did they allow them to come to such a boiling point? To allow such hate and racism, just to be -- just to be, and not teach them that this is wrong. America foundations, freedoms, the reason white people came to this country is for freedom of religion, freedom of speech. Not to allow these men to have their freedom to say what they felt was hurting them as a people, as a religion. I was listening to what they were saying. I was there for a different purpose.
CNN: Let me ask you about what happened to you. These boys in the middle of this group and you find yourself surrounded. How did that happen and what did that feel like as a person standing there face to face with a young man who seems to be staring at you or glaring at you? How would you describe that moment?
Phillips: When I was there and I was standing there and I seen that group of people in front of me and I seen the angry faces and all of that, I realized I had put myself in a really dangerous situation. Here's a group of people who were angry at somebody else and I put myself in front of that, and all of a sudden, I'm the one whose all that anger and all that wanting to have the freedom to just rip me apart, that was scary. And I'm a Vietnam veteran and I know that mentality of "There's enough of us. We can do this."

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

2 minutes ago, mugtang said:

This is one of those situations where many people made serious mistakes.  But the outrage was initially directed at the teenagers only when the reality is much more complex than that.  

The whole thing is a just a big mess.  I give up trying to figure it out to some conclusion of right or wrong.  No group seems like they took the highest possible road.  The fog of protest bizzare-ness.

4 minutes ago, toonkee said:

The whole thing is a just a big mess.  I give up trying to figure it out to some conclusion of right or wrong.  No group seems like they took the highest possible road.  The fog of protest bizzare-ness.

I think you had it right when you said you'd take 24 hours to sit on something that seems outrageous.  We've all gotten caught in the outrage over something when it turns out to not be as bad as initially presented.

13 minutes ago, toonkee said:

I think the context of protest is the biggest factor that was missed Saturday.  Everyone there, everyone involved, was protesting.  I've never seen a protest without chanting, singing, yelling, getting in one's face, etc.  

And I really appreciate you stepping up on this.  Awesome job man!

The World Needs More Cowboys!

1 hour ago, toonkee said:

Succinct, to the point and completely correct. Kudos my friend.

Boom goes the dynamite.