Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Swoll Cracker

San Jose State @ Wyoming on Wednesday Night: Somebody's Gotta Win.

1 hour ago, LoboSage said:

Usually WYO at home would be a no brainer...but having watched Cowboys in The Pit Saturday, this rendition is unusually bad.

When the short blond dude entered the game, I thought to myself...this guy would be better suited for the rasslin' team.

So...SJSU by six.

Hope James is OK.

I think there is a chance the Wyoming wrestling team could take the basketball team on the court.  Hyperbole maybe, but then again maybe not.

Edit, and given the injury bug already hitting this team, count me among those who absolutely in no way want any football players getting involved.

3 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Wyoming looks worse than SJSU. Injuries have decimated that team. The guy coming off the bench looks like your average rec league player. 

Well, that guy coming off the bench is your typical rec league player.  He played with Thompson in Pine Bluffs and is a walk on, on our football team.

If JJ isn't 100%, I don't think we have a chance.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

3 hours ago, Swoll Cracker said:

I guarantee they have guys in the football program who were All Conference basketball players in high school that could help out.  Way back when I was in school, some of the frat intramural teams were loaded with scholarship football players and scholarship baseball players who were good enough to play D1 Basketball.

Austin Conway, who was recruited by a number of schools as a WR wanted to play basketball and Wyo tossed him a bball scholarship, you may recall.  After his RS year in basketball, he switched to our football team, where I think he's a better fit.  His name came up early on about him playing some basketball to help the Pokes out.  WR coach put the kabosh on that possibility right away.  None of his WRs will be given permission to play.

I didn't follow the last SJSU b-ball HC search. I do remember there being praise and excitement about Prioleau's hiring. I read his bio and found out that he was a physics major. Physicists are suppose to under stand movement and distribution of force. I don't see that on the court. I suspect he was hired because or our University's commitment to STEM programs and careers. 

5 hours ago, OrediggerPoke said:

Can't be worse next year.  This is probably the lowest point in Wyoming basketball since I have been following in the early 90s.  Edwards has to be fired.

This year's Cowboys team when healthy is not good but injuries have made it nearly impossible to win.  Edwards is on the hot seat but the Heath Schroyer era was worse.

Heath Schroyer:

2007–08 Wyoming 12–18 5–11 8th  
2008–09 Wyoming 19–14 7–9 6th CBI 1st Round
2009–10 Wyoming 10–21 3–13 8th  
2010–11 Wyoming 8–15 1–8 (fired)  
Wyoming: 49–68 (.419) 16–41 (.281)

Alan Edwards:

2016–17 Wyoming 23–15 8–10 7th CBI Champion
2017–18 Wyoming 20–13 10–8 6th  
2018–19 Wyoming 4–13 0–4    
{{{name}}}: 47–41 (.534) 18–22 (.450)

7 minutes ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

This year's Cowboys team when healthy is not great but injuries have made it near impossible to win.  Edwards is on the hot seat but the Heath Schroyer era was worse.

Heath Schroyer:

2007–08 Wyoming 12–18 5–11 8th  
2008–09 Wyoming 19–14 7–9 6th CBI 1st Round
2009–10 Wyoming 10–21 3–13 8th  
2010–11 Wyoming 8–15 1–8 (fired)  
Wyoming: 49–68 (.419) 16–41 (.281)

Alan Edwards:

2016–17 Wyoming 23–15 8–10 7th CBI Champion
2017–18 Wyoming 20–13 10–8 6th  
2018–19 Wyoming 4–13 0–4    
{{{name}}}: 47–41 (.534) 18–22 (.450)

As I stated earlier, this year is the lowest point I have ever witnessed as a fan of Cowboy basketball.  I personally think that we would be hoping for a return to the Schroyer era if we stick it out with Edwards for a few more years.

26 minutes ago, OrediggerPoke said:

As I stated earlier, this year is the lowest point I have ever witnessed as a fan of Cowboy basketball.  I personally think that we would be hoping for a return to the Schroyer era if we stick it out with Edwards for a few more years.

Oh hell no!  Edward's got character and I'd take that any day.

9 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

All depends on if SJSU is as sensitive to altitude poisoning as SUDS is. 

We showed everyone the way. so I expect SAN will not be sensitive to it whatsoever.

On 1/21/2019 at 1:27 PM, pokebball said:

Austin Conway, who was recruited by a number of schools as a WR wanted to play basketball and Wyo tossed him a bball scholarship, you may recall.  After his RS year in basketball, he switched to our football team, where I think he's a better fit.  His name came up early on about him playing some basketball to help the Pokes out.  WR coach put the kabosh on that possibility right away.  None of his WRs will be given permission to play.

Last year Nevada was so short on bodies so they invited a scholarship receiver and safety to play. Both kids were invaluable in practice. 

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

I'm not saying Edwards is fine as a coach but you can't judge him on this year... Coming in it was gonna be a bit of a rebuild with JJ and Maldo bringing the new kids along. Now with injuries we have 7 scholarship players with JJ being the only one who has played for us last year(excluding a couple games and minutes that Naughton played). This is the worst Wyoming team I've ever seen. I'm not sure about the overall talent level of our young guys but they are not ready to be playing the minutes they are forced to(we've been recruiting players to develop and I see some potential in them). 

I don't see any amount of great coaching getting better results. 

I don't think there is any way Edwards gets fired this year(and I agree with that decision) but he will need to turn it around next year 

14 hours ago, tspoke said:

I don't see any amount of great coaching getting better results. 

I don't think there is any way Edwards gets fired this year(and I agree with that decision) but he will need to turn it around next year 

Edwards has had 3 years to prove himself with relatively talented teams in the first 2 years.  Of course most coaches would struggle with the current roster makeup, but ultimately who is responsible for that?  Even at full strength with no injuries or criminal incidents this year, this is likely a really bad team.

My concern is the longer that we stick with Edwards the more potential damage that we are doing long term to the program.  What decent recruit is looking to come to Wyoming at this point where the program is at?  The whole program needs a fresh start with someone that will bring a renewed energy IMO.  I do think Edwards is generally a good guy with a lot of basketball knowledge, but it didn't work out and I think he would be better off with a fresh start as well.

2 hours ago, Bob said:

The team looked like dog shit at full strength. I think we've sen enough. He under achieved badly last year with a fairly talented group. we finished 6th. That sucks, he sucks.

This year's team was never close to full strength. We started the year without our 2 main big men with an overmatched small forward at 5. Also with our second best player in Maldo(I could make an argument of 1b to JJs 1a) fighting through back spasms  and having his playing time reduced and less effective also not being able to ever be able to play on the road. We then got our bigs back and lost everyone else. The team this year was going to take a while to gel together and get the young guys adjusted to college ball but a core of JJ, Maldo, Thompson, hendricks would have been good with the new guys growing and finding their place on the team. 

I agree that last year was a disappointment overall. The first year was decent for a first year coach introducing a new system. Year 2 was disappointing but wasn't that far off from being more successful. And year 3 is an incomplete due to factors beyond Edwards control. 

If the ad wasn't going to fire him last year then they can't after this year. 

2 hours ago, OrediggerPoke said:

My concern is the longer that we stick with Edwards the more potential damage that we are doing long term to the program.  What decent recruit is looking to come to Wyoming at this point where the program is at?  The whole program needs a fresh start with someone that will bring a renewed energy IMO.  I do think Edwards is generally a good guy with a lot of basketball knowledge, but it didn't work out and I think he would be better off with a fresh start as well.

What sort of coach do you think will want to come here knowing we fired a coach after he had some of the worst luck a coach could have after only 3 seasons. I don't see a lot of in demand coaches lining up for that opportunity. 

I see our team next year being pretty good barring any players leaving. 

I think we'll beat Wyoming, but not until the game in San Jose. I hope it's a close one tonight in Laramie, we haven't been in a close game since OOC play. :waiting:

Air Force fans will be watching this as they head to SJSU on Saturday and are looking for that elusive road MWC win.  Will be interesting to see if the 7000' in Laramie affects the game much for SJSU and if there are any linger fatigue from it and the travel back home for our game this weekend.  

I didn't quite count throughout this thread...how many players has Wyoming actually lost for the year this season? And how many starters?  Ouch....We have been there before!

Remember...………………………….if it goes into 20 overtimes and then a blizzard or hurricane occurs maybe both teams will win!!

..GO FALCONS..

At the half...Spartans 24 Cowboys 24.