Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SleepingGiantFan

SDSU going to the spread

www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/aztecs/sd-sp-sdsu-football-expect-aztecs-to-use-spread-formation-in-2019-0118-story.html

Not a pass-first spread but an offense which should lessen sacks by operating out of the shotgun while employing a true H-back rather than fullback.

I'm relieved to hear that at least because it should enhance the chances of bringing in a decent senior transfer QB within the next month. However, I'm hesitant because I'm not sure that our coaching staff as it's now composed can effectively teach it. If Rocky says Ron Caragher will therefore have a role in running the offense, I'll definitely adopt a wait and see approach.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Mike Martz could teach them a lot. Get an Aztec to Fleet pipeline going.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

I was in an airport at the same time as Sean McVey once. I'll do it for a mil a year, but if the the league calls I'm gone.

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

Yes it's going to be a game changer.  Had we run this system when Penny was here he would have had 3,000 yards and I'm not being facetious.  So long as the coaches can teach the correct execution of the plays the offense should be much better than last year (not saying much as it couldn't get much worse but anything is better than the crap we saw last year).

10 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

An attempt to modernize the offense, and folks are acting like SDSU is riverboating. :waiting:

Oh, just wait, ECA, it gets worse. Bob Davie wants to add a bit more passing and modify the triple (whick people were crying for). Does so and then the cries begin, "We're passing too much!". I'm being a bit facetious, UNM is having a problem finding a decent, consistent QB, but the phenomenon is real. :pitchforks:

1. With the signing of Brookshire, we now have five guys listed at QB and I've never thought Baker would pan out at that position so we effectively have four.

2. How anyone could construe an announcement that a team is going to transition from a pro set to a spread formation as meaning the team will go to a triple option attack is beyond me. A READ option, which appears like will be used somewhat =/= a triple option so the guys we do have aren't going to get particularly beat up.

3. That said, if I was Mark Salazar, I would seriously consider transferring. The kid is not at all the kind of dual threat QB which will now be playing at SDSU. Fresno State has similarly altered its offense since Salazar committed there and there aren't a whole lot of teams who still run the pro set so I can't think of any FBS schools in the western part of the country which would make sense for the kid. Maybe for that reason he'll just ride out his SDSU scholarship knowing he won't be playing but that he'll get a good education.

4. Bottom line is SDSU's quarterbacking will mainly be the in hands of Agnew and Brookshire this year with Brookshire probably the starter in 2020 if he plays reasonably well and Joe Green, who will redshirt this year, the likely 2020 backup.

I'm not elated about these changes but at least we now have hope for a decent offense which with last year's tedious system and just a mal-suited Ryan Agnew to run it we did not have a week ago.

Boom goes the dynamite.

It's going to take the S&C trainer to prepare the linemen for a faster pace of play and the line coach to improve blocking techniques that the spread requires.  They have to be in sync to make it work for the QB, whoever it is.  

3 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

1. With the signing of Brookshire, we now have five guys listed at QB and I've never thought Baker would pan out at that position so we effectively have four.

2. How anyone could construe an announcement that a team is going to transition from a pro set to a spread formation as meaning the team will go to a triple option attack is beyond me. A READ option, which appears like will be used somewhat =/= a triple option so the guys we do have aren't going to get particularly beat up.

3. That said, if I was Mark Salazar, I would seriously consider transferring. The kid is not at all the kind of dual threat QB which will now be playing at SDSU. Fresno State has similarly altered its offense since Salazar committed there and there aren't a whole lot of teams who still run the pro set so I can't think of any FBS schools in the western part of the country which would make sense for the kid. Maybe for that reason he'll just ride out his SDSU scholarship knowing he won't be playing but that he'll get a good education.

4. Bottom line is SDSU's quarterbacking will mainly be the in hands of Agnew and Brookshire this year with Brookshire probably the starter in 2020 if he plays reasonably well and Joe Green, who will redshirt this year, the likely 2020 backup.

I'm not elated about these changes but at least we now have hope for a decent offense which with last year's tedious system and just a mal-suited Ryan Agnew to run it we did not have a week ago.

Doesn’t matter who it is. The moment they slap on an SDSU Jersey they get noodle arm syndrome 

Fresno_State_Jim_Sweeny_Field_(_Bulldog_Stadium).jpg

5 minutes ago, TheTedfordTrain said:

Doesn’t matter who it is. The moment the slap on an SDSU Jersey they get noodle arm syndrome 

Maybe. However, we've had some darn good seasons with noodle arm QBs.

The trick is to be able to pass well enough to keep the defense from putting 10 in the box. Last year we couldn't do that. I'm now optimistic that this year we'll be able to again.

Boom goes the dynamite.