Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Shutdown now more costly than wall funding request

https://www.barrons.com/articles/government-shutdown-cost-51547665457

Not sure what the end game is now.  

The partial shutdown of the U.S. government, the longest ever now in its 26th day, hit another milestone on Wednesday. It has likely become more expensive for taxpayers than the thing at the center of it, President Donald Trump’s demand for funding for a border wall.

Trump was expected this week to sign legislation promising back pay for federal workers once the shutdown ends. That bill sailed through Congress. Federal workers didn’t ask for the shutdown, after all, and so wouldn’t be expected to suffer for it beyond the cash squeeze many are experiencing on held up wages. 

The reality for taxpayers, however, is that they are now guaranteed to pay government wages for services they won’t receive. That money is essentially squandered. After a 2013 government shutdown that affected roughly as many workers as the current one, 800,000, the Congressional Budget Office estimated the cost in back wages at $2 billion, plus $500 million for benefits. 

The 2013 shutdown lasted 16 days, whereas the current one is 26 days and counting. An analysis of average federal wages by The New York Times suggests the present shutdown is costing $200 million a day in delayed wages, or about $5 billion so far. Add benefits, and the total could be over $6 billion.

So the question becomes, do the Dems continue holding out over the wall funding even though that’s going to cost more than giving in to the request or does the GOP cave because it’s starting to cost the economy.  :shrug:

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

18 minutes ago, mugtang said:

So the question becomes, do the Dems continue holding out over the wall funding even though that’s going to cost more than giving in to the request or does the GOP cave because it’s starting to cost the economy.  :shrug:

They should.  They should sign the bill when the request holds an itemized list of where the money goes, and all the analysis a spending bill is supposed to have.  I still have no clue what 5.6B is going to.  What amount is for patrol, wall, staffing, surveillance, infrastructure?  I guarantee if he said fund all but the wall, and we will need enough funding to prepare an actual plan to design, schedule, acquire, construct, and man for a wall, there would be a response.  Not many are arguing for no border security.

30 minutes ago, mugtang said:

So the question becomes, does Trump continue holding out over the wall funding even though that’s going to cost more than giving in to the request or does the GOP cave because it’s starting to cost the economy.  :shrug:

FIFY

There was a deal. Trump backed out of it.

1 hour ago, East Coast Aztec said:

They should.  They should sign the bill when the request holds an itemized list of where the money goes, and all the analysis a spending bill is supposed to have.  I still have no clue what 5.6B is going to.  What amount is for patrol, wall, staffing, surveillance, infrastructure?  I guarantee if he said fund all but the wall, and we will need enough funding to prepare an actual plan to design, schedule, acquire, construct, and man for a wall, there would be a response.  Not many are arguing for no border security.

So much this... especially when you look at the money that was allocated in the previous FY budget for border security improvements that reportedly has barely been touched.

3 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

For the entire bill or just the wall funding piece?

The World Needs More Cowboys!

2 hours ago, retrofade said:

So much this... especially when you look at the money that was allocated in the previous FY budget for border security improvements that reportedly has barely been touched.

Exactly. Only a very small fraction of the allocated amount was spent.

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

The whole thing is a farce.  By both sides.  We spend more on buying new submarines every single year than 5 billion. 

The democrats are every bit as full of shit as Trump regarding this.  Bunch of children, the whole lot of them, makes me natious. 

No wall.

You do not reward temper tantrums. The Dems have made it clear they will not negotiate while the government is shut down. Open the government and then have discussions. 

It's far too expensive to compromise on this and I'm not talking dollar amount. 

One of the Final Five..........

10 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Oh please.  

this isn’t about the money, this is about sticking it to Trump.  They have voted for border funding for walls in the past.  If Obama was proposing 5 billion for border barriers they’d vote for it in an instant.

Same thing with Trump.  It’s 100% about saying “I won” for him.

but let’s not pretend there are any white knights or even any adults here.  Both sides just want to say I won, they lost.  Getting invested in either side in this farce just makes you part of the problem.

5 hours ago, CPslograd said:

The whole thing is a farce.  By both sides.  We spend more on buying new submarines every single year than 5 billion. 

The democrats are every bit as full of shit as Trump regarding this.  Bunch of children, the whole lot of them, makes me natious. 

I agree that both sides act like kids, and that's why I've been an Independent since 2000. But Trump did promise that he'd make Mexico pay for the wall. He should keep his promise (it still boggles my mind that some people actually believed him) or shut his giant hole. 

2043755.jpg?ts=1486462047399

8 hours ago, CPslograd said:

Oh please.  

this isn’t about the money, this is about sticking it to Trump.  They have voted for border funding for walls in the past.  If Obama was proposing 5 billion for border barriers they’d vote for it in an instant.

Same thing with Trump.  It’s 100% about saying “I won” for him.

but let’s not pretend there are any white knights or even any adults here.  Both sides just want to say I won, they lost.  Getting invested in either side in this farce just makes you part of the problem.

Which is why I hate both sides. 

9 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

What part of my post are you questioning?

Would you like to see an itemized detail list for the entire bills expenditures? or just the border security part of the bill? I think an itemized detail list is a great idea for the entire bill.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

1 hour ago, pokebball said:

Would you like to see an itemized detail list for the entire bills expenditures? or just the border security part of the bill? I think an itemized detail list is a great idea for the entire bill.

Should be a great idea for any bill.  The annual spending bills get trashed constantly and they are all itemized.  Funding Bill's that have nothing should be passed?  That is ridiculous.

As someone who is collateral damage in all of this, +++++ this shutdown. My family is fine, but a lot of Coasties I know live paycheck to paycheck and are already hurting. Thankfully where we're at, there have been a lot of community organizations and churches offering support.