Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lawofthejunglenv

#10 Nevada vs Air Force

46 minutes ago, bornsilverandblue said:

Watching the game in person, it was clear to me that something about that scrum/fight made the game personal for the Pack.  During the review, Muss was apparently yelling full-throat at the AF coach and had to be held back by his assistants.  May have been the refs, but something made radio side think it was the AF coach.  Hence running the score up at the end including what Caleb did.

Yep. We were across court...2 refs at the monitor and the other standing back waiting to look. Had to be the coaches.

1 hour ago, bornsilverandblue said:

A very close friend of mine is big on stats, especially the more advanced analytics-type stuff.  One thing he always harps on is regression to the mean regarding season stats, and he ends up being right most of the time.  That leads up to…regression to the mean says Nevada will start shooting out of their minds at some point.

For the season the Pack is shooting 33% from three. In conference games they are shooting 28%. So “regressing” back to 33% in conference play would be good for about 1 to 2 more made threes.

I tend to think they will start shooting better, but not enough to justify the volume of three pointers they currently take. IMO, the offense would benefit from them only taking 20 threes per game instead of the 29 they currently average in conference play. 

Realistically, Nevada would be favored against NMSU in Las Cruces even if we were in the MWC and played them home-and-home. They have better starters at every position. There's no need to be petty and come here to start shit.

We're very similar teams. Nevada has a problem scoring in first quarters, so do we. They're often plagued by shooting/focus slumps, just like us. They are the target of every other team in conference, just like us. Despite all this, they come back in the second half almost every game, just like us. We both had a WTF loss just a few weeks ago, but neither team started to go on a losing streak. This shows both of our teams have good coaches and well-coached players with talent, and that's why we are both top dog in our conferences.

11 hours ago, blind_squirrel54 said:

For the season the Pack is shooting 33% from three. In conference games they are shooting 28%. So “regressing” back to 33% in conference play would be good for about 1 to 2 more made threes.

I tend to think they will start shooting better, but not enough to justify the volume of three pointers they currently take. IMO, the offense would benefit from them only taking 20 threes per game instead of the 29 they currently average in conference play. 

They are seeing a lot more zone defenses this year which dictate shot selection. Any idea what the 3 point percentage was last year? I’m guessing it was a lot better. Which is kind of weird because Chaz Johnson replaced Stephens and Chaz has a high percentage. That tells me Caroline and the twins have fallen off for whatever reasons. 

Looking at last year, the Pack shot 39% from three and both Martins about 10% higher than this year so that is where the fall off exists. 

29 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

They are seeing a lot more zone defenses this year which dictate shot selection. Any idea what the 3 point percentage was last year? I’m guessing it was a lot better. Which is kind of weird because Chaz Johnson replaced Stephens and Chaz has a high percentage. That tells me Caroline and the twins have fallen off for whatever reasons. 

Looking at last year, the Pack shot 39% from three and both Martins about 10% higher than this year so that is where the fall off exists. 

Even Muss said we gotta reel it in a little last presser.  I’d like them to drive it in more, even in the zone, but the refs call EVERYTHING a charge. It’s changed the game for the worse now. 

Just now, ph90702 said:

What a shocker.  The two people who like that are Wolf Pack fans.

Probably because you’re talking about a wolf pack player? You’re not too bright, are you?   If you were running your mouth about some CSU or Wyo player I wouldn’t give it a second thought because they’re not my team. 

Just now, brillio said:

Probably because you’re talking about a wolf pack player? You’re not too bright, are you?   If you were running your mouth about some CSU or Wyo player I wouldn’t give it a second thought because they’re not my team. 

207FF74F-1170-4404-8215-16374067DD09.jpeg

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

I agree they are shooting more threes because of how much zone teams are playing against them. However, it doesn't need to be that way. It isn't a requirement that a team needs to shoot a bunch of threes to beat a zone. For example, UNLV and Colorado State beat New Mexico (zone defense team) with 13 and 15 three pointers attempted, respectively. Nevada does exactly what the opponents want when they jack up a high number of threes against the zone. I echo other Wolf Pack that say they need to get more attempts inside. Quicker, crisper ball movement and more patience could achieve this.

The drop in Caleb Martin's percentage has played a role in the drop off in percentage. IMO, this has been compounded by how many threes he is attempting. 68% of his attempts this season have been threes. He's too good at the other things to be exclusively a three point shooter (especially when making less than 33% of them). 

27 minutes ago, Sputnik46 said:

The ignore feature works great on the poster who continues to double down on his classless trailer park comments.  The only time I’m exposed to his drivel anymore is when he’s quoted in responses.  I’m enjoying the board so much more now.

He shouldn’t have been an asshole on that breakaway yesterday.

36 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

He shouldn’t have been an asshole on that breakaway yesterday.

If you read carefully, that means he can't read your replies to him. Also, an asshole calling someone else the same doesn't hold much water. I might take others advice and ignore you too. You are narcissistic, egotistical, and clueless.