Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bigd

UConn

1 hour ago, ph90702 said:

It’s women’s basketball.

Aka Title IX Rocks!

To get serious for a minute, if UConn women's basketball is running an annual deficit, I have to wonder how much red ink lousy women's teams like SDSU's which barely sell 1,000 tickets per game are bleeding.

Boom goes the dynamite.

13 hours ago, bigd said:

$81 million in expenses and $40 million in revenue. Football lost $8.7 million, and their athletic department received the largest subsidy of any public school.

I guess this is what happens when you're used to P5 money, and don't make the cut (while both their FB and BB teams suck). I definitely wouldn't be surprised to see them leave the AAC and join the Big East, and either FCS or Indy/MAC for football.

https://www.courant.com/sports/hc-sp-uconn-sports-athletic-department-finances-revenue-expenses-20190117-2wdp5gimnvhlliwykl6npcmy7u-story.html

so that's what life as a "Pea6" is like!

35 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

To get serious for a minute, if UConn women's basketball is running an annual deficit, I have to wonder how much red ink lousy women's teams like SDSU's which barely sell 1,000 tickets per game are bleeding.

They pay their coach $2 million a year. We all pay a lot less and all most likely still lose money. 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

Guest #1Stunner
1 hour ago, Bob said:

Hey, maybe BYU could join the AAC? that would be great for you guys. Also, maybe you could move the campus to somewhere in West Virginia?

Bob,

right now the goal for BYU is to schedule your alma mater, Air Force.

3 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

If I'm UConn I'd wait to see what the AACs next TV deal looks like before deciding on anything.

Can they honestly afford to wait when they are hemorrhaging that amount of money per year? I don’t think the TV deal is going to matter, tbh.

rsz_romney-stadium.jpg

5 minutes ago, aggzilla said:

Can they honestly afford to wait when they are hemorrhaging that amount of money per year? I don’t think the TV deal is going to matter, tbh.

It won't even make a dent. 

Those poor fans went from being an elite basketball program to being stuck in mid major purgatory with no real hope of escape. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

11 minutes ago, aggzilla said:

would the BE really save them? they don't offer THAT much more money and offer less exposure imho...

mem skyline sig.jpeg

24 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

would the BE really save them? they don't offer THAT much more money and offer less exposure imho...

Other than a few years during Randy Edsel's first trip around the block, UConn football has always been irrelevant. First FCS, then gawd awful. Since Huskies football has again been gawd awful even with bringing back Edsel, the conclusion to be made is it was the Big East's BCS money which was primarily responsible for its success.

Some of you guys in the Aresco Athletic Conference might think you're headed toward P5 riches but that's never going to happen to any of you who doesn't get a promotion to one of the real power conferences. Maybe UConn can be offered by the AAC but word is Syracuse if not one or two other ACC members are dead set against that happening. So for all intents and purposes, UConn is likely to forever be a basketball school.

The Big East has always been a stellar basketball conference and it therefore makes sense for UConn to go there if the Big East would have them. UConn wouldn't have to drop football, it could simply drop back down to the Atlantic 10 conference for that sport where it belongs.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Guest #1Stunner
22 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Other than a few years during Randy Edsel's first trip around the block, UConn football has always been irrelevant. First FCS, then gawd awful. Since Huskies football has again been gawd awful even with bringing back Edsel, the conclusion to be made is it was the Big East's BCS money which was primarily responsible for its success.

Some of you guys in the Aresco Athletic Conference might think you're headed toward P5 riches but that's never going to happen to any of you who doesn't get a promotion to one of the real power conferences. Maybe UConn can be offered by the AAC but word is Syracuse if not one or two other ACC members are dead set against that happening. So for all intents and purposes, UConn is likely to forever be a basketball school.

The Big East has always been a stellar basketball conference and it therefore makes sense for UConn to go there if the Big East would have them. UConn wouldn't have to drop football, it could simply drop back down to the Atlantic 10 conference for that sport where it belongs.

I agree that UConn basketball would benefit greatly by joining the Big East.

I think they'd try Indy football, at least for a few years, before they dropped to FCS.   Since they are on the East Coast they'd have an easy time finding teams to schedule

SEPT - Can schedule any number of P5s or G5s.   Maybe an annual rivalry with Boston College?

EARLY OCT - Can schedule G5s---close proximity to the MAC, Sun Belt, CUSA, AAC

LATE OCT -  NOV - Annual "rivalry games" against fellow Indys in the area:   UMass, Army, and Liberty.   Could also schedule BYU or Notre Dame on occasion.

Guest #1Stunner
53 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

I think the Big East brings a lot of money from NCAA Tourney credits.   Also their TV deal is an upgrade.

If they had their own "Indy Football" TV contract, it would probably be a regional thing for like $1M per year on top of the Big East payout.

Guest #1Stunner

if UConn leaves I think the AAC adds Southern Miss.

They are more impressive than people realize.  I was surprised by their facilities.   They also seem to have good fan support.

Related image

south-endzone-football.jpg

1024px-Reed_Green_Coliseum.jpg

These are the problems with Southern Miss: (1) small student population of <15K; (2) located in a small city of only ~45K; (3) Jackson is the only actual city within the state anywhere nearby and it has <200K people. On the latter point, Hattiesburg is within a day's drive of New Orleans and Mobile but in those places college football is all about LSU and Bama.

You have to respect what USM has accomplished with its football team but that school has basically no TV value to a conference and today, that's what it's all about.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Guest #1Stunner
12 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

These are the problems with Southern Miss: (1) small student population of <15K; (2) located in a small city of only ~45K; (3) Jackson is the only actual city within the state anywhere nearby and it has <200K people. On the latter point, Hattiesburg is within a day's drive of New Orleans and Mobile but in those places college football is all about LSU and Bama.

You have to respect what USM has accomplished with its football team but that school has basically no TV value to a conference and today, that's what it's all about.

You make some good points.  Southern Miss doesn't bring the TV money.

If it's purely about TV money, then their best option might be your person favorite:  Liberty University.   Don't they have like 100,000 enrolled?

They could also pursue Army.

22 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I don't see the BE adding a public school. 

Besides, the Big East doesn't need UCONN and the ACC doesn't want them. They might be stuck where they are.

The Big East has so much history with UConn they would add them in a second. It would add a ton of value to their championship at Madison Square Garden. 

UConn has had down years, but I'd argue they have a better basketball history than anyone currently in the Big East. 

I also think their fans care much more about games against VIllanova, Seton Hall, etc. Despite being private schools, culturally they are much closer.

UConn fans don't have anything in common with or care about playing UCF, Memphis, ECU, SMU, etc. The only reason they're still in the AAC is they feel that their only chance of someday joining the Big 10 or ACC is if they keep their football program at the highest level (which obviously isn't working).

32 minutes ago, bigd said:

The Big East has so much history with UConn they would add them in a second. It would add a ton of value to their championship at Madison Square Garden. 

UConn has had down years, but I'd argue they have a better basketball history than anyone currently in the Big East. 

I also think their fans care much more about games against VIllanova, Seton Hall, etc. Despite being private schools, culturally they are much closer.

UConn fans don't have anything in common with or care about playing UCF, Memphis, ECU, SMU, etc. The only reason they're still in the AAC is they feel that their only chance of someday joining the Big 10 or ACC is if they keep their football program at the highest level (which obviously isn't working).

I agree that UCONN would love to be in the new BE and they would probably thrive.  But I just don't see the BE pulling that trigger.  UCONN is too far removed from their profile.  It would be like the WCC bringing back Nevada.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

18 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I agree that UCONN would love to be in the new BE and they would probably thrive.  But I just don't see the BE pulling that trigger.  UCONN is too far removed from their profile.  It would be like the WCC bringing back Nevada.

It will be interesting to see. The commissioner recently mentioned that adding one school and playing a round robin is a possibility. Their options would basically be:

Dayton

UConn

Saint Louis

Davidson?

Which stands out? Its really no comparison. The Big East would love UConn. UConn is synonymous with the Big East and name and has a ton of history with the conference. They raise the bar and national  profile, different than the Nevada/WCC scenario IMO. 

I love me some USM but they belong in CUSA with La Tech and Marshall. Hattiesburg is a dump and so is Reed Green Coliseum (I've been there three times)...they have no budget or fan support. I wish they were in Biloxi/Gulfport and had a 10% bigger budget.

Right now I would say UAB looks pretty good. Great market, good basketball history, a good football program, and Birmingham is building a new 150 million dollar - 50,000 seat football stadium in downtown Birmingham 1.4 miles from the UAB campus.

one side will have an upper deck while the other side will have a press box/club level

BJCCFeature.jpg

screen-shot-2018-12-13-at-20122-pm*750xx

mem skyline sig.jpeg

5 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

Less exposure?  

Not sure how much uconn charges per ticket now but I can guarantee you they could charge more for Syracuse than Tulane. 

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

6 minutes ago, boisewitha-s said:

Less exposure?  

Not sure how much uconn charges per ticket now but I can guarantee you they could charge more for Syracuse than Tulane. 

I'm not digging to FS-8 to find a BE game...

mem skyline sig.jpeg